Due to Difficulties, your Sportive has been CANCELLED.

2»

Comments

• Audax
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Audax is seemingly picking up from sportives. You have the challenge of the self-sufficiency and the distance is one you choose. You don't have to have the 'latest' kit and the routes can be glorious in scenery and with GPS type devices no need for route sheets. Plus they are a few quid to enter. Rides like the Brian Chapman 600 and the Old 240 are challenges as much as any sportive can offer and rides offered by eg Chris Crossland or 'El Supremo' are noted for their atmosphere as much as their quality. Rapha did an excellent write-up on the BC recently. Euro sportives arejust better (altho' those who did the second Etape this year may disagree). Rides lie the Nove Colli,Time Megeve,Maratona,Selle Ronde are hard but glorious and have a sense of occasion.
    M.Rushton
  • dead sheep
    dead sheep Posts: 109
    Audax

Audax + 1

That said, it is sad to see the loss of good honest sportive events like the TransCambrian.
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    Yes, but...

A cursory glance at Audax UK's "Arrivee" mag illustrates that the audax movement's heart is about (very) long distance cycling (sleeping in bus shelters at 3am etc), and the characters that attracts, and as such, I don't see it filling the shoes of sportives in any great way. It could, but it'd require the movement to change in ways I don't think the members would be interested in doing. That's almost self-evident from the manner in which sportives had their boom period despite audaxes already being plentiful.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Actually the most popular audaxes are the 100m and 200km. The longer distances tend to attract the more 'serious' riders or those with more time/no family commitments or as in this year those seeing to qualify for PBP. Plus it's had a history of sandal wearing/wierdy beardy types but this is changing. Rides like the NW Passage or Hopey New Year attract a lot of club riders eager to test their legs
    M.Rushton
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    rdt wrote:
    Yes, but...

A cursory glance at Audax UK's "Arrivee" mag illustrates that the audax movement's heart is about (very) long distance cycling (sleeping in bus shelters at 3am etc), and the characters that attracts, and as such, I don't see it filling the shoes of sportives in any great way. It could, but it'd require the movement to change in ways I don't think the members would be interested in doing. That's almost self-evident from the manner in which sportives had their boom period despite audaxes already being plentiful.

I don't think I belong to the carbon loving, Garmin and chip sportive lot, as well as I don't get overenthusiastic about audaxes starting in the local community centre and running through interminable filthy lanes...
    What I like, if I have to travel and pay money, are events that look and feel like events and in this country I have hardly seen any. The Paris Roubaix organised by Roubaix velo club is technically an Audax, but it's also an event, with people on the streets, a certain atmosphere at the feed stations a grand finale at the Velodrome, with a village catering for food, drinks etc. etc...
    The Maratona is technically a sportive (or granfondo as they're called) but again provides atmosphere, mass participation etc. etc (of course the Dolomites scenery plays its part)...
    So, it's not about the sportive or audax format, to ma what matters is feeling part of something... looking forward to this event being something special and not a solo/club ride over unknown lanes

That's my view
    left the forum March 2023
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    rdt wrote:
    Yes, but...

I don't think I belong to the carbon loving, Garmin and chip sportive lot, as well as I don't get overenthusiastic about audaxes starting in the local community centre and running through interminable filthy lanes...
    What I like, if I have to travel and pay money, are events that look and feel like events and in this country I have hardly seen any. The Paris Roubaix organised by Roubaix velo club is technically an Audax, but it's also an event, with people on the streets, a certain atmosphere at the feed stations a grand finale at the Velodrome, with a village catering for food, drinks etc. etc...
    The Maratona is technically a sportive (or granfondo as they're called) but again provides atmosphere, mass participation etc. etc (of course the Dolomites scenery plays its part)...
    So, it's not about the sportive or audax format, to ma what matters is feeling part of something... looking forward to this event being something special and not a solo/club ride over unknown lanes

That's my view

The thing that sets many of those sorts of "events" apart is that they are either on roads closed to traffic or on roads that you can't normally ride on, that automatically makes them different to the many UK events where you are simply paying to ride around public roads.

It's a good business model, to charge for something that's normally free. Bit like standing outside an NHS hospital and asking people for £10 because you'll give them a free cup of tea when they have finished.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    dead sheep wrote:
    Audax

Audax + 1

That said, it is sad to see the loss of good honest sportive events like the TransCambrian.

Audax + 2
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Darn i seem to have gotten this backwards. I started with club runs etc and have finally gotten around to entering a sportive/charity ride this weekend. Mainly to find out what its like to ride with so many people but also just to have a ride with a friend i havent seen for years.

£35 including a coach transfer seemed a bit steep to me tbh (And they want charity cash on top of that) but I didnt mind on a one off to see what its like.

Funny thing is that the club run the same day would have been a much harder and beneficial ride.

I am feeling like i have sold out now that i have read this thread :-(
  • hmbadger
    hmbadger Posts: 181
    mrushton wrote:
    Actually the most popular audaxes are the 100m and 200km. The longer distances tend to attract the more 'serious' riders or those with more time/no family commitments or as in this year those seeing to qualify for PBP. Plus it's had a history of sandal wearing/wierdy beardy types but this is changing. Rides like the NW Passage or Hopey New Year attract a lot of club riders eager to test their legs

But that's still a long distance, and the addition of club riders isn't doing much to sell it to me.

I agree that most sportives are over priced and don't have enough people to make it seem like a real event - but nevertheless I think they try to address a market that isn't addressed elsewhere.

I don;t see a lot wrong with providing a hilly 100km event for £25 or so, like the Wiggle Tour of the Peak I did a couple of weeks ago. It was enough for me!

I think the price thing can be overdone as well. By the time I have a pint and buy a programme I can spend £25 watching a non-league football match.
  • rdt
    mrushton wrote:

I know they're the most popular events (and they're the ones I ride), but the movement's character seems to be dominated by its very-long-distance roots. I read Arrivee and marvel at the insanity of people riding those events, and realise they inhabit a very different planet to mine and other cyclists I know.

The proof of that really is that despite the audax movement already being in place, with a product that at first glance looks similar, it's sportives that massively boomed.
  • rdt
    rdt wrote:
    Yes, but...

That's my view

The thing that sets many of those sorts of "events" apart is that they are either on roads closed to traffic or on roads that you can't normally ride on, that automatically makes them different to the many UK events where you are simply paying to ride around public roads.

It's a good business model, to charge for something that's normally free. Bit like standing outside an NHS hospital and asking people for £10 because you'll give them a free cup of tea when they have finished.

I agree about the business model, and hence view entry fees for non-charity-raising sportives as essentially optional.

I've ridden an event (2 day affair in France) of a type perhaps similar to that which ugo refers, on open roads, and it was a superb experience, far ahead of any UK event (sportive, audax) that I've participated in.

And what set it apart was the event's "occasion", including amongst other things, fantastically catered (and boozy) sit down lunches in town/village halls for the entire field together, and the camaraderie and sense of being part of a group for the duration of the event. It cost a few bob though, but a lot was included, including accommodation and food.

The most fun I've had in a UK event has been the Shropshire Highlands Challenge, which has managed to replicate (albeit in a much smaller way) some of that friendly sense of occasion, whilst still costing absolute peanuts.
  • As for wiggle/evans how can anyone compete with their financial clout? They can afford to run events at a loss just to broaden their customer base (lord knows they arent cheapest by a long shot) and keep their profile up

To compete is very difficult. A huge amount of the cost of running a sportive is paying for a timing service. Wiggle/Evans either own this equipment or get special deals. The independent sportive organisers might need to think along the lines of a co-op to get comparable deals.
  • iAmiAdam
    iAmiAdam Posts: 20
    I'd have to say it's the ridiculous prices and people not wanting to bite the bullet and pay up for the lesser known sportives.

My club ran a sportive and entry was £7.50, 15£ for longer routes, two feed stops fully stocked with proper food as well as SIS food, times published online. I don't see how the big companies can justify paying £25 for a tshirt and a gel in a bag at the end of it.
  • markos1963 wrote:
    ... I have done several sportives and spent most of the time riding alone due to the poor numbers

I also find myself isolated and riding alone, but this is because everyone shoots past me in the first 10 minutes. It's very true, as several have already said, that if the point of doing a sportive is for the atmosphere and opportunity to ride in a group, then many sportives are pointless. (Not all, of course).

The most enjoyable mass event I have done was the Gridiron in the New Forest. This is run as an Audax, so speeds were moderate and riders all gathered at the tea-stops. Unlike proper Audax events, it was waymarked. I felt I got the best of both worlds with this one, although at 60 miles it was a bit short.
  • My club ran a sportive and entry was £7.50, 15£ for longer routes, two feed stops fully stocked with proper food as well as SIS food, times published online. I don't see how the big companies can justify paying £25 for a tshirt and a gel in a bag at the end of it.

OK i'll bite , please send me your costs, How do you do it for £7:50 as thats amazing? Thats less than a well know Audax organiser charges inthe south east. Wiggle and Co need to pay staff costs.
  • People pay over £17 to do a road race these days, so paying £25 or even £30 for a cyclosportive seems good value if your getting fed all the way around the circuit with mechanics, medical help on call. Timing chips and those goodie bags can be expensive to Cyclosportive organisers as its not always free to the organisers.

European cyclosporitves have a larger market to call on so they would be cheaper.
    although the Tour of Flanders doesn't have timing chips :!:

Also remember some cyclosportive organisers are raising funds for charity, do European cyclosportives do that, lets hope so.
  • People pay over £17 to do a road race these days, so paying £25 or even £30 for a cyclosportive seems good value if your getting fed all the way around the circuit with mechanics, medical help on call. Timing chips and those goodie bags can be expensive to Cyclosportive organisers as its not always free to the organisers.

European cyclosporitves have a larger market to call on so they would be cheaper.
    although the Tour of Flanders doesn't have timing chips :!:

Also remember some cyclosportive organisers are raising funds for charity, do European cyclosportives do that, lets hope so.

Pocketrocket... I am going to use your post as a basis for organisers to have a rethink about charges and good value ...

Whether your market is big or small is beside the point...
    It's like Odeon saying no'one is going to be interested in this movie so we charge 10fold...

I can bring you to events in Belgium that charge 3 EUR and you are getting fed all the way... and at the end of the ride you get a drink of your choice.
    No there is no timing, but who cares? Timing should be for the x% toughest events in the country.
    They don't claim to do charity.... they organise it to get some money into the club account...

Regarding goodie bags... if you are a good negotiator your sponsors should give this free, if you can't get them free then don't offer it, do you really think people will come to an event because they get some goodies? And if it is for charity... well then the companies that let you pay for goodies should be named and shamed...

To expand a bit on charity... I would happily pay 30GBP for claimed charity rides... if organisations make their books public... as everything is for charity but no-one seems to be too keen to provide the split between net result and costs made...

What is the added value of timing?
    If an event only attracts 200 people over 3 distances... why bother with timing? I am not too interested to know that I came 34th out of 52 that did my distance, because the numbers are too small to be relevant.

Now if you would have 500 people then timing could be relevant...
    But even than... you mentioned the Tour of Flanders... people just want to have done it... they are not bothered to know how quick or slow they were compared to the 20000 others that started...

So have timing on some of the hardest UK cyclo's yes...
    but the 80km chase around the lanes... not needed imho

So yes... let organisers keep thinking that 30GBP isfair and then have to cancel their events because not enough people turn up...

Now I might be the only one thinking this way... but I doubt it...
  • ellieb
    ellieb Posts: 436
    http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/n ... tive-31486
    :roll:

wishful thinking by those who don't like sportives I'm afraid.
  • I've just completed my first sportive. The Action 100 Bath-London and must say it was well organised, plenty of feed stations and a great lunch stop. Some of the route was in urban areas, and a bit stop-start thanks to mini-roundabaouts and traffic lights! But it was still a fun day out - and we mostly avoided the rain showers.

Don't know if I'll sign up for more, as I quite like the idea of audaxes. And maybe only a charity element would encourage me to signing up for another sportive.

So, as I suffer with aching muscles tomorrow, I'll be researching the world of Audax :)
  • I can bring you to events in Belgium that charge 3 EUR and you are getting fed all the way... and at the end of the ride you get a drink of your choice.

say 1 energy gel costs ~ 1 Euro

Amazing value, somebody mans the 3 different refreshment point gives out 1 gel and they make a profit. Somehow I think sponsership or good old fashioned volunteering has something to do with low prices with these sportives

Again I'll believe it when somebody sends me their costs for a low cost sportive. Somebody in the chain is paying
  • My club ran a sportive and entry was £7.50, 15£ for longer routes, two feed stops fully stocked with proper food as well as SIS food, times published online. I don't see how the big companies can justify paying £25 for a tshirt and a gel in a bag at the end of it.

OK i'll bite , please send me your costs, How do you do it for £7:50 as thats amazing? Thats less than a well know Audax organiser charges inthe south east. Wiggle and Co need to pay staff costs.

I did this "challenge ride" (the 140 mile route). There was no chip timing. There was no marshalling or motorcycle outriders. But the course was fully signed (with downloadable gpx files in advance) with two well-stocked feed stations and free soup / baguettes etc. at the finish. No goody bag (thankfully) or other unnecessary extras.

Times were taken at both of the feed stations and the finish and were publish to the nearest minute (I think). It was very well organised but from what I can make out, very much relied on volunteers from the club. I genuinely hope they made money on it as it was a great day out, despite the pretty horrendous weather on parts of the course.
  • Well for £7.50 I recently rode a 100 mile time trial; great route description with marshalls at all junctions; Facilities at the start/finish inc. cake & showers.

Properly timed by time keepers who don't make errors ... dunno why more people don't do these rather than cycle around a sportive solo ...

Loads of events around give one ago ...
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    hmbadger wrote:
    mrushton wrote:
    Actually the most popular audaxes are the 100km and 200km. The longer distances tend to attract ...

But that's still a long distance

100km is not a long distance except if you are young, old or injured
  • I can bring you to events in Belgium that charge 3 EUR and you are getting fed all the way... and at the end of the ride you get a drink of your choice.

say 1 energy gel costs ~ 1 Euro

Amazing value, somebody mans the 3 different refreshment point gives out 1 gel and they make a profit. Somehow I think sponsership or good old fashioned volunteering has something to do with low prices with these sportives

Again I'll believe it when somebody sends me their costs for a low cost sportive. Somebody in the chain is paying

Hi David,

Where did I say energy gel?
    You have water, lemonade, coke and an assortment of waffles, cake, sweets, bananas, oranges...
    All low budget options to have your participants fed...

Those who specifically want sports drink bring their magic powder and mix it with the water.

As I said - clubs organise it to get some cash into the club account, so yes I agree that people manning the post will not be paid (as they are members of the club) :wink:

And what is wrong with getting sponsorship? :?

Your statement actually implies that here in the UK the participant is paying for everything and that hours put in are accounted for :oops: or did I misunderstand this?

So if I take this one step further can I then conclude that the events are organised to make money for organisers profit?

But to go back to how I feel about Sportives here ... 30GBP is far from good value for money...

I am assuming you organise something so I would be interested to find out how you feel about the other points in my original post. :)
  • I used to think the sportives were taking the mickey by charging £25 for a couple of feed stations with watered down energy drink and a timing chip.

So, this year I organised one for our club. Charged £10 for entry and £15 on the day. We got 200 entries, all the people that helped out were club members who all get rewarded for their efforts with discount off club clothing. The event still made a healthy profit for the club funds, money which all goes back into cycling.

We had feedstations which were very well stocked and all the normal things you expect from a sportive except for the 'free' t-shirt at the end. Timing was by one of those things called a watch - which is plenty accurate enough for a sportive. They are NOT races.

What you can never do is please everybody, but judging by the number of emails I had saying how well the event went I think we pleased most people and we are not in an area where we can offer mountainous climbs.

Maybe the company organised ones which charge £25 a rider are falling away because they have to make a profit and have more overheads. This is a good thing in my opinion. I would much rather ride events organised by the cycling clubs as they know all the best routes in the area better than anyone else, plus they are a lot more friendly as they are not in it for the money.

Our event will be back next year, although may go up to £12 so we can do online entries.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Where can I buy one of these new fangled watch devices? Why are they not reviewed in Bike magazines if they work so well? I blame Wiggle and Nick Cleg and the Tories! :wink:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Well for £7.50 I recently rode a 100 mile time trial; great route description with marshalls at all junctions; Facilities at the start/finish inc. cake & showers.

Properly timed by time keepers who don't make errors ... dunno why more people don't do these rather than cycle around a sportive solo ...

Loads of events around give one ago ...

Hi again and congrates on your Fireball triumph some years back.

Back to the bike stuff. Well after reading this topic the old phrase horses for courses seems to keep echoing in the back of my mind.

Alone and being bent double over a TT bike for 5hrs or so isn't everyone’s idea of fun and some of the guys I know have developed nasty health issues after years of long distance TTing. Surgery to mend a collapsed main artery in the top of a leg and very bad lower backs are not uncommon.

On the question of timing a young club mate of mine had this happen recently in the Junior Tour of Wales...

Stage 1 was the Time Trial and hopes were high for the young Mid Shropshire Wheeler who excels against the clock. Having the advantage of starting a minute behind series leader Slater, Grivell-Mellor had Slater in his sights at the finish and it looked as though he had a dream start. Unfortunately the organization had a malfunction with the timing system and so the stage was declared null and void.

There is room for both Racing, Sportives and Audaxs which is good because it caters better for all types and interests, we should stop taking the pee out of what others do or look like and start finding out that we have more in common with each other.

I did a £10 sportive this year organized by the Peterborough CC and it was great, manual timing (so what?) it’s good enough for time trialing which is a proper race. Food stops, way marked and excellent start finish location with excellent food at the end. We could do with more clubs taking up the option where the funds go to the club up keep and the helpers are volunteers, this with manual timing helps keep the cost down. The audaxs are generally run by local DA volunteers. The Audax UK Association are there to represent the interests of long distance cycling this is part of their fundamental remit although they are introducing some feeder (shorter) routes into some of their events.

What the sportive community could do with is take a page out of the audax books by standardizing the way the number of metres ascent is calculated so we can better judge the parcours for advertised events.
  • If they are to continue to bloom, there has to be diversity. Cheap club organised events are great in some ways, but for outsiders they can often be annoyingly cliquey and what to some people seems a bit of amateur charm, can to another just be an annoying lack of organisation. For lots of people, if you have to travel a long way to an event, you want there to be a bit of a buzz, a feeling that something special is going on, rather than just have some old bloke in a high viz vest point you in the direction of some hills. I did my first 'professional' sportif this year, the Etape Hibernia, and while the sort of corporate slickness was a bit much compared to the smaller sportif events I'd been to before and enjoyed, I did like the buzz from feeling you are part of a big event, mavic supporting vehicle and all. The Etape follows a similar route to the Tour de Burren, which is run by a local club - the same route, but a very different (much more informal) atmosphere. Both are great, for entirely different reasons.

I think for events to survive and thrive they have to be more than just a single route, it should be tied into a weekend of events. I was at the Sean Kelly Tour of Waterford weekend before last and it was brilliant - a 10km event for kids and family, a choice of 50, 90 and 160 km routes for everyone. It meant that lots of families came along making for a better atmosphere, and also lots of people camping and staying over which meant more variety and craic (and a much better economic benefit for the town). I was at a similar event earlier in the year in France, the Ardechoise - a huge variety of routes over several days, it meant thousands of people there, with a great atmosphere, brilliant fun, and enjoyed by family members who tagged along as much as by the riders (and the riding there is stunning).
  • rdt
    Using the "Cycling Councillor" site, I was just looking at forthcoming cycle rides.
    http://www.cyclingcouncillor.com/index.asp?PageID=31

Here's the list of rides taking place this coming Sunday (11th Sept):-

11: Wessex 50 and Wessex 100 50 or 100 miles (7.00am to 9.00am, The Guildhall, Market Place, Salisbury). 'Open' charity rides: for more details and online booking visit Bike Events website.

11: Wessex Big Wheel 12 miles (10.30am to 12 noon, Ashley Road Open Space, Salisbury). 'Open' family charity ride: for more details and online booking visit Bike Events website.

11: Chaucer Challenge 65 and 80 mile options (Greenwich Park, London SE10). Charity ride from London to Canterbury to benefit The Children's Trust. More details at event webpage.

11: London to Southampton 82 miles (8.00am to 9.30am, Bushy Park, Hampton, Middlesex). New charity event organised by British Heart Foundation. For more details visit BHF website.

11: Ride for Ryder 20 and 60 mile options (Nettlebed Hospice, Reading). Charity ride to benefit Sue Ryder Foundation. More details at event webpage.

11: Penwith Peninsula Bike Ride 5, 20 and 40 mile options (10.00am, Marazion, Cornwall). Charity ride for Cancer Research UK and Mounts Bay Rotary Club. More details at event webpage.

11: Southern Sportive 71, 112, 155 or 194 km (8.00am to 10.00am, Churchers College, Petersfield, Hampshire). Rides into the South Downs. Event website.

11: Circuit of Kent Cyclosportive 80 km or 130 km (9.00am to 9.30am, Sevenoaks Prep School, Godden Green, Kent). Charity sportive organised by Sevenoaks Rotary Club. Event website.

11: Shakespeare Hundred Sportive 100 km or 100 miles (from 8.00am, Stratford-upon-Avon). Charity sportive to benefit Macmillan Cancer Support. Event website.

11: National Trust Sportive 25, 50 or 100 miles (7.45am to 9.30am, Wimpole Estate, Cambridgeshire). Sportive rides promoted by Open Cycling in association with National Trust. Organiser's website.

11: The Cumbrian Sportive 55 or 91 miles (8.00am to 10.00am, Dallam School, Milnthorpe, Cumbria). Sportive rides in the Lake District. Organiser's website.

11: Black Rat Cycle Challenge 100 km or 100 miles (from 8.30am, Braunton, near Barnstaple, Devon). Sportive rides in Exmoor and North Devon. Organiser's website.

11: Kidderminster Killer 202 km (8.00am, Astley, south of Stourport-on-Severn). Audax.

11: The summer knows 100 km (9.00am, Brigg, north Lincolnshire). Audax.

11: Neroche 100 105 km (9.30am, Broadway, near Ilminster, Somerset). Audax.

11: The Three Loops 212 km (8.00am, Broken Cross, near Macclesfield). Audax.

11: The One Loop 114 km (9.00am, Broken Cross, near Macclesfield). Audax.

11: Golowjy ha Bal 116 km or 52 km (9.00am or 10.00am, Connor Downs, NE of Hayle, Cornwall). Audax.

11: Le Tour de Didling 104 km (9.00am, Midhurst, West Sussex). Audax.

11: Pyecombe-Didling-Pyecombe 200 km (7.30am, Pyecombe, north of Brighton). Audax.

11: The London Sightseer 100 km (9.15am, Hampton Hill, West London). Audax.

11: Rockingham and Rutland 114 km (9.30am, Oundle, Northants). Audax.

11: Hilly ride via Swarcliffe Top 25 miles (9.30am, Hornbeam Park rail station, Harrogate). Harrogate CTC.

11: Ride via York and Beningbrough 55 miles (9.30am, Hornbeam Park rail station, Harrogate). Harrogate CTC.

11: Ride via Hare Street and Puckeridge 40-55 miles (9.30am, War Memorial, Stevenage Old Town). Moderate pace ride. Stevenage CTC.

11: Shaw's Corner (9.20am, Kings Cross station). Visit to home of George Bernard Shaw (National Trust). Central London CTC.

11: Suffolk or bust (8.40am, Liverpool Street station). Central London CTC.

11: Bread Pudding Ride (10.15am, Waterloo Station). Special edition visiting the Olympic Park in east London. Kingston Cycling Campaign.

I count 4 or 5 charity challenge rides, 6 sportives and 10 audaxes, plus a bunch of CTC bimbles, all on a single day! The following two Sundays look equally event-packed...

While some of these(!) may well not attract the numbers they'd like, it's certainly indicative of a general booming interest in cycling, which is something I'm happy to see. Now if those sportives were all a tenner like chipperleenie's, I'd be happier still and might even pay to ride them. :lol: