Oww! I've twisted my back

EKE_38BPM
EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
I woke up about an hour ago in a weird, twisted over position (head facing east, hips facing west ) and now I have a pain in my back kind of below my left shoulder blade.

I got up and I've done a few back stretching exercises in the hope that they would instantly sort the problem out but, no luck. I'm now searcing the house for ibruprofen and am about to watch Concrete Circus on 4OD as I don't see sleep coming anytime soon.

Not really looking for advice, but I'm mightily pissedoff and needed to vent.
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    Almost two hours later and I can honestly say that the drugs don't work.
    Concrete Circus is very good though. Well worth a watch.

I'm going to try to sleep now. Don't see it happening though.

• Take a deep breath. Did that hurt?

Do you have a slight tingling by your breastbone, same side as the back pain?

If yes and yes, chances are you have popped a rib. It's a slight dislocation of the rib where it abuts the spine. Very, very uncomfortable. It will pop back in over time (a few days) or an oesteo can pop it back in manually.

Yer big jessie.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Try phoning in sick and drinking copious amounts of alcohol, it's a relaxant and therefore medicinal! Alternatively, sleep the other way round.
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Funny you should say that, I had a beer or 5 last night, the strong cloudy continental sort, and for the first time in 14 months I didn't have any back pain when stumbled in and went to bed.

Now the effects have worn off, my back is killing me and I have a head like a box of angry frogs
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    MTFU
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    MTFU

I cricked my lower back overnight - a bit unhappy cycling in and I'm making the odd 'ow, oop' noises in the office but ibuprofen? Ya big girly!!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • EKE_38BPM
    I called in sick today as a physical job and back pain are a bad combination. You try to move in a way to protect the bad back and end up making the original injury worse or create another one.
    A bit of bed rest and some drugs and I'm feeling much better (thanks for asking). You know your getting old when you can do yourself an injury sufficient to take time off work without leaving bed!

Ibruprofen is a muscle relaxant as well as a painkiller so using it when the muscles in my back are in spasm is perfectly valid.
    I'm not a big taker of painkillers, a dose of MTFU usually suffices, but when its difficult to breathe I'm not afraid to turn to pharaceuticals.
    Is it MingTFU to not take Imodium when you've got the trots? Horses for courses.

• Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I called in sick today as a physical job and back pain are a bad combination. You try to move in a way to protect the bad back and end up making the original injury worse or create another one.
    A bit of bed rest and some drugs and I'm feeling much better (thanks for asking). You know your getting old when you can do yourself an injury sufficient to take time off work without leaving bed!

Ibruprofen is a muscle relaxant as well as a painkiller so using it when the muscles in my back are in spasm is perfectly valid.
    I'm not a big taker of painkillers, a dose of MTFU usually suffices, but when its difficult to breathe I'm not afraid to turn to pharaceuticals.
    Is it MingTFU to not take Imodium when you've got the trots? Horses for courses.

MTFU and clench
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:

MTFU and clench

+1 One decent clench should turn it all into diamonds anyway.

EKE, you're an old man. Take it easy.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Ibrobufen isn't a muscle relaxant, it's a (non steroidal) anti inflammatory. Which reduces inflammation in yer muscles, not relaxes them.

You want to be taking things like diazepam or tetrazepam to relax those muscles :twisted:

You could get go to the doc and get some diclofenac sodium, which is ibrubrofen with bells and whistles, it eases my back problems overnight so I can sleep. It also doesn't give me the mother of all hangovers like strong foreign beer I was quaffing last night.
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • EKE_38BPM
    snooks wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Ibrobufen isn't a muscle relaxant, it's a (non steroidal) anti inflammatory. Which reduces inflammation in yer muscles, not relaxes them.

You want to be taking things like diazepam or tetrazepam to relax those muscles :twisted:

You could get go to the doc and get some diclofenac sodium, which is ibrubrofen with bells and whistles, it eases my back problems overnight so I can sleep. It also doesn't give me the mother of all hangovers like strong foreign beer I was quaffing last night.

I meant anti-inflammatory, not muscle relaxant. Excuse my drug addled brain.