N+1 help

Wrath Rob
Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
So, I've been offered an exceptionally good deal on a carbon frame by the LBS. So good that I've put my name on it and will be picking it up on Monday. My logic is that it will become the new commuter and therefore that I'll swap the full (Tiagra) groupset, forks, wheels + else off of the Boardman commuter over onto the new frame. Nice and cheap at £250 but would have carbon frame with Tiagra group. Can then upgrade over time.

However. That would leave me with a frame to get rid of. Which I could do but how many people really want a used Boardman frame, stem and bars (I'll be getting new ones of those)?

So I was thinking that I could get the old wheels out of the loft, tyres from the shed, buy a Shimano 5700 105 groupset (£360) and forks (£100?) for the new bike and have 2 bikes. Sell the Boardman to cover some of my costs. Would then have carbon with 105 group set. But would cost about £700, minus £200 assuming I get that for the Boardman.

Head says pay £250 and upgrade in next years sales. Heart shouts "BUT THE 5700 NOW YOU FOOL!"

Thoughts?
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Help you say? Nope, none of that round here ;)

BUY THE 5700 NOW YOU FOOL! and then keep both :twisted:
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Jens Voigt, "Shut up Head"
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    You can buy the 5600 105 for £280 (less if you become a VIP):

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... -GROUP.htm

Then build the new frame over time, seeking out what deals you can.

Given the amount you've been using the Boardman, for the commute and weekends, I suspect the Tiagra will need upgrading soon anyway.

What's the new frame?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd build the frame up over time with good selected components, make the jump at some point to removing the other bits from the BM to finish it and get it into action, then slowly aquire the rest you need and rebuild the BM as you go keeping it as a winter bike.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    cjcp wrote:

Given the amount you've been using the Boardman, for the commute and weekends, I suspect the Tiagra will need upgrading soon anyway.

What's the new frame?

Jesus - that's a steal for the groupset. Anybody know if the Tektro calipers are any good?
  • Listen to your heart...I mean, your head.

Wait now and buy blinging wheels.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Been having similar musings myself after seeing a nice Giant frameset in the classifieds I liked the look of but it appears that, for now, S - 1 < N + 1 so its no dice.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    What boardman frame is it, what size, does it have rack mounts? I'm Looking for a frame to rebuild hybrid with what would you want for it?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Chadders81 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

What's the new frame?

Jesus - that's a steal for the groupset. Anybody know if the Tektro calipers are any good?

If they were like the ones on mine with the 105 grouset as std on secteurs then they are okay, I did notice and improvement when I stuck on 105 brakes recently though
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Sketchley wrote:
    What boardman frame is it, what size, does it have rack mounts? I'm Looking for a frame to rebuild hybrid with what would you want for it?
    No mounts so may not be ideal. Its a 56cm.

Tektro calipers are on the BM at the moment. They've proved themselves sufficient to lock the front wheel :shock:

Decisions, decisions...
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Chadders81 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

What's the new frame?

I bought the groupset last year for my commuter with 105 brakes. Work fine.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."