Swapping freehub on Fulcrum Racing Zeroes - second opinion

onthedrops
onthedrops Posts: 19
edited May 2014 in Workshop
Evening all

I have some very nice Fulcrum racing zeros with a campag fitting used for racing this season.
I have the option of Shimano team bike next season so looking to change the freehub.

Various places sell a Fulcrum Shimano/SRAM Freehub Body. Please could someone confirm that I am on the right track here - i.e. that i just to buy one of these and swap them? If so, is it a fairly straighforward job?

Cheers!

Comments

• Yep, piece of cake.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Absolute doddle. I'm going the other way on my own wheels (not Fulcrums mind!) to fit Campag as soon as the new freehub arrives
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Yup, easy job - 2x 5mm Allen keys in the ends of the axle, unscrew the end cap and simply slide out the axle and pull-off the freehub body.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    agree with all of the above, you will be disappointed that the shimano/sram pattern freehub is surprisingly heavy steel whereas the campy is very light alloy. I have a spare new one if you want it, campag boxed shimano fit for racing zero, 1. 3. £40 plus postage?

mrdsgs
    Colnago Addict!
  • thanks all for the replies.

@mrdsgs - sorry only just seen you post and have already ordered one
  • mrdsgs
    no problem onthedrops, i like to have a spare anyway!

If memory serves me correctly you need one allen key and a cone or adjustable spanner. The lockring that holds the freehub on has a left hand thread.

mrdsgs
    Colnago Addict!
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    mrdgs

Is the freehub body that much heavier in the Shimano fit? I am looking at either a set of the Dura ace C24 or the Fulcrum Zero and published weights are pretty much the same but I am assuming the Fulcrum weights are using the (lighter) campag free hub

Thanks
  • Hi Mrdsgs, it sbeen a while but do you still have the Fulcrum racing zeros shimano freehub??? I am looking for one.

cheers, mark.
  • mrdsgs
    Yes, still got it, still boxed and unused, £45 including postage in UK, can post Monday, payment by paypal if you want it to mrd1408@me.com
    Colnago Addict!