MagicShine MJ 808E On Offer With DX Group Buy $59.99

seataltea
seataltea Posts: 594
edited September 2011 in MTB general
Some say it's the best for the money although there are a few unbranded variants appearing for less.

Just had a new 3 mode Trustfire P7 delivered this morning which is pretty typical although it came from their new UK warehouse, it's brighter than the Aurora P7s by some margin and took 3 working days to arrive.

Anyway the Magicshine is a limited time offer.

http://offers.dealextreme.com/team.php?id=11

About £40 delivered from HK (queue HMC&E trolls), pretty startling value methinks.
'nulla tenaci invia est via'
FCN4
Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
CUBE Peleton 2012
Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • toastedone
    toastedone Posts: 838
    Bails is this any good? I have heard a couple of people say they have had problems with lose connections? I am looking at ordering one, but want to hear others views
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    same light.

same problems as other magic shine lights (i.e. the battery pack and charger) but at 30 quid you wont beat it.

If only they'd sell them as a head only.
  • toastedone
    toastedone Posts: 838
    Whats the issue with the battery pack and charger?
  • diy
    The pack comprises of 4 18650 li-ion cells like a laptop battery. Except unlike a laptop battery there are no thermal controls and no balance circuit to help the cells keep an even charge, so the cells can get out of sync which causes them to fail. They are also not particularly waterproof so can short. The chargers are quite low quality and easily fail.

This is probably the only real weakness of the light.

The XM-L LEDs are superb the best available and not frequently found in lights costing 5 times as much. You can buy replacement chargers and and cells so its a risk worth taking.
  • bails87
    toastedone wrote:
    Bails is this any good? I have heard a couple of people say they have had problems with lose connections? I am looking at ordering one, but want to hear others views

I've ordered one, but it's not been sent out yet.
    MTB/CX

• unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I have the improved MJ-836 version of this and it's good. I use it with a head torch and do a load of off roading at night. Big difference with the 836 is a properly waterproof battery with an LED voltage indicator, I've also heard it heats up less.

Personally I'd not buy the older battery unless there was a big price difference. If I did run the old battery I'd keep it in a waterproof bag.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • moggy82
    moggy82 Posts: 726
    I Have one of these, came from light malls though. Quite a bit brighter than the old P7 MJ-808, would like to try it against the proper magicshine one, but im happy with it. The Switch is a bit poor but apart from that i see no reason to pay the extra for the branded copy
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    I ordered the SKU 82510, £27.

I'm hoping to be very impressed. Used a 2 x AA Fenix L2D torch last year, so should be a massive improvement.
  • i take it the one in the second link does not have a water proof case? or its the poorer quality battery
  • Milese wrote:

I'm hoping to be very impressed.

Me too, worth a punt at that price and will stop me reading the what lights thread (it all got far too technical for my simple brain)
  • diy
    better case, not better cells, same internals. Personally I would buy the cheaper one. magicshine is a non brand, so not worth paying for "magicshine" quality whatever that might be.
  • milese
    Milese wrote:

I'm hoping to be very impressed. Used a 2 x AA Fenix L2D torch last year, so should be a massive improvement.

Has anyone had their light yet?

Mine isn't showing as shipped yet!
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    My colleague was notified yesterday his is on its way, a friend text me earlier to say his arrived this morning and mine still says "split" so as i ordered other things i'm guessing part of my order is on its way?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Teach
    Teach Posts: 386
    diy wrote:
    The pack comprises of 4 18650 li-ion cells like a laptop battery. Except unlike a laptop battery there are no thermal controls and no balance circuit to help the cells keep an even charge, so the cells can get out of sync which causes them to fail. They are also not particularly waterproof so can short. The chargers are quite low quality and easily fail.

The XM-L LEDs are superb the best available and not frequently found in lights costing 5 times as much. You can buy replacement chargers and and cells so its a risk worth taking.

Sorry but if the battery is the only significant weakness, why can't I (we) buy a different battery and charger eg one from a lupine or something similar? Before you all shoot me down, I'm not an electrician, so there might be a really sensible reason why not.
  • Teach wrote:
    diy wrote:

Sorry but if the battery is the only significant weakness, why can't I (we) buy a different battery and charger eg one from a lupine or something similar? Before you all shoot me down, I'm not an electrician, so there might be a really sensible reason why not.

Good question, I would like to know the answer too, where can we buy "decent" batteries/chargers from?
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    had my origional one a few years, used in all condtions, never had a problem with either battery or charger?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • bails87
    MTB/CX

• Ian43
    Ian43 Posts: 172
    They are out of stock apparently with the suppliers, the 1200 lumen one I mean I ordered mine three weeks ago and emailed DE to ask why my status still said waiting on supplier and was told it was out of stock and if I would like to change it or cancel.

I have cancelled as for an extra £14 which is £41 in total bestofferbuy have the same light but the 1300 lumen version in stock so ordered that instead.
  • milese
    Ian43 wrote:
    They are out of stock apparently with the suppliers, the 1200 lumen one I mean I ordered mine three weeks ago and emailed DE to ask why my status still said waiting on supplier and was told it was out of stock and if I would like to change it or cancel.

I have cancelled as for an extra £14 which is £41 in total bestofferbuy have the same light but the 1300 lumen version in stock so ordered that instead.

Got a link Ian?
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    Recieved and tested mine, it is brighter than classic P7 torch but it's spread light not as good. While P7 is more even and floody the XML is more center weighted aka C7 spot light. Still for £28 isn't bad.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though