Shirt for work

CallumN
CallumN Posts: 2
edited August 2011 in Commuting general
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have been cycling to work for the past 2 months or so 16 odd miles each way. However I am struggling to get a nicely ironed shirt to work. I have tried folding, rolling, and the likes, but without an iron at work I look like a state!

Someone must have a tip? Or is it a case of take a cache of shirts on the Monday in the car and use them during the week.

Thanks,

Callum.

Comments

• Vally7
    Vally7 Posts: 120
    Learn how to do shop folds like they have shirts on shelves. Mate of mine swears by this - I tried it last week, took my shirt in the rucksack and it was fine.
  • zenistar
    zenistar Posts: 75
    I tend to keep a stash of shirts at the office but I used to regularily carry shirts in my rucksack - shop folded and placed inside a plastic bag. Never had any issues with creases but it could also be down to the type of shirts that you use. All of mind tend to be of the non iron type, these tend to resist creasing more than standard shirts.
    2012 Brompton S6L
    2011 Canyon Nerve XC 9.0
    2001 Specialized Allez
    1998 Specialized Rockhopper FS - still going strong!
  • mossychops
    mossychops Posts: 262
    I use an Eagle Creek Fold It - works excellent, can carry a few shirts with no creases

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGsI1SyGqRM&playnext=1&list=PLCFB9C82FDE13F35B
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    I roll a folded "normal" cotton dress shirt and carry it in a small dry sack in the bottle cage; comes out fine. Perhaps a shirt with an easy care finish, as zenistar indicates, would assist?
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Read something about a guy who had a deal with the laundry near the office and just took them there to get them washed and ironed, thus never carrying them. Failing that, don't you have a secretary?
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • djcook1
    djcook1 Posts: 13
    There is a dry cleaner/laundry near my office that does a good deal on washing and ironing shirts if you take 5 at a time, so I keep 7 shirts at work (a couple to cover the days when the other 5 are in the cleaners. And the added bonus is that I don't have to iron my own shirts any more!
    Cannondale CAAD8, Specialized Rockhopper Comp
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    mossychops wrote:
    I use an Eagle Creek Fold It - works excellent, can carry a few shirts with no creases

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGsI1SyGqRM&playnext=1&list=PLCFB9C82FDE13F35B

+1

...but liking the idea of getting someone else to laundry them!
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • zenistar
    zenistar Posts: 75
    hmm might have to think about using the dry cleaner next to our office and just keeping a stock of shirts permenantly at the office instead of taking them in a batch at a time.
    2012 Brompton S6L
    2011 Canyon Nerve XC 9.0
    2001 Specialized Allez
    1998 Specialized Rockhopper FS - still going strong!
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Practice.

I tend to hang my shirts up to dry naturally after washing, so no need to iron - don't put them on a fast spin - thats when they crease.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Dont pack the bag tightly. Use easy-iron shirts.
    What kind of bag are you using.
  • Do you know anybody who works with/near you who drives in and could do you a favour once a week?

I'm lucky - my girlfriend works nearby and her dad actually works on the same site (albeit a different building) as I do. I tend to get five or six shirts all ready at once and then one of them brings the shirts in their car. I just have to fetch them and put them in my locker.
    Twitter: @FunkyMrMagic
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Mouth wrote:
    Failing that, don't you have a secretary?
    To iron shirts for you? :?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    bails87 wrote:
    Mouth wrote:

Surely that is what they are for - Ironing, cleaning, cooking making Tea and the like.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • bails87
    rubertoe wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    Mouth wrote:

Surely that is what they are for - Ironing, cleaning, cooking making Tea and the like.

You're thinking of a wife.

Secretaries are for doing all the things that wives no longer let you do, or that's what I've heard around here... :wink:
    MTB/CX

• Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    Roll your shirt and you should avoid most creases.

Also, do you shower at work. If you do, don't dry your upper body fully.

A warm, slightly wet body will act like an iron and remove minor creases.
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Moodyman wrote:
    A warm, slightly wet body will act like an iron and remove minor creases.
    The secretary's? ;) (Sorry, Mouth started it...)
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I've no wife or secretary, sucks to be me but Charles Tyrwhitt non-iron shirts = win win. 8)
  • bails87
    I find TM Lewin shirts (although nice to wear) are pretty poor on the crease-ability front. Primark ones are a tenth of the price and actually fold pretty well.
    MTB/CX

• Roll them in your bag seems to work fine for me. If you shower in work, hang them up while your having a shower and the creases drop out (a bit anyway)
  • Meatfox
    Meatfox Posts: 155
    i just go topless when i get into work.
    the girls go wild
    by "wild" i mean "vomit" and "cry"
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    See, I'm a bus driver who by nature generally smell and have creased shirts so I get by OK........
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • i have the same problem, and get around it by wearing the shirt when i ride, but with a long sleeve base layer underneath. there may be some sweat on my back as i wear a rucksack, but doesn't smell too badly! i only do 11 miles on the way in though
  • Roadtart
    Roadtart Posts: 54
    Has anyone else got 24 Tyrwhitt shirts?

I'm a bit of a collector......
  • iPete
    Roadtart wrote:

6 here! pay day tomorrow, best add some more non-iron ones, amazing.
  • mossychops
    mossychops Posts: 262
    iPete wrote:
    Roadtart wrote:

6 here! pay day tomorrow, best add some more non-iron ones, amazing.

Are they that good? I've had M&S and Devilland ones, they are both pretty good especially in the

TM Lewin are like stretched concertina, any slight agitation or even touching them and they crease at 90 degrees. I am also incapable of ironing them without every bit I iron creasing up the other side even worse.
  • iPete
    The non-iron slim fits I have are superb, stupidly picked up some normal ones and you can see the difference. They seem to survive being folded up in a saddle bag very well.

You'll never want to iron again, not that I ever did very much before! :lol:
  • bails87
    mossychops wrote:
    [
    TM Lewin are like stretched concertina, any slight agitation or even touching them and they crease at 90 degrees. I am also incapable of ironing them without every bit I iron creasing up the other side even worse.

Yep, shocking ain't they. :evil:
    MTB/CX

• Roadtart
    Roadtart Posts: 54
    I have mine on a rotation, so the girls at work (and the one at home) don't see the same one for 6 weeks at a time - Friday is always a jeans / t-shirt day, so I only need 4 each week.

Four pairs of trousers at work, and 2 pairs of smart shoes too.

Tyrwhitt's slim-fit, non-iron shioirts are the best I've found - classic collar, double cuff, etc.

Usually on a deal of 4 for £100.
  • bails1310
    bails1310 Posts: 361
    Ive tried it both ways.
    Only works taking one in a bag to get a claimed, easy/non iron version. That said, its always going to be a little upset by the time youo get in.

We are open over the weekend so I usually drop a weeks supply off then and can then commute to full 5 days.
    Kuota Kharma Race [Dry/Sunny]
    Raleigh Airlite 100 [Wet/Horrible]