120 vs 140mm forks (on a Kinesis Decade Virsa)

Ash_
Ash_ Posts: 385
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
As the title suggests, I've got a Kinesis Decade Virsa that I'm looking to build up as more trail than XC orientated. I've never used a fork that is more than 100mm so I'm open to any suggestions / advice / ill-thought-out conjecture as to the supposed merits of either.

I should add two points:
1) I'm still kind of bothered by the bike's ability to go up hills as well as down them
2) According to Kinesis, the frame is designed for 100-130mm forks, so I'm not sure if 140mm is a step too far (or will those extra 10mm of travel make little difference?)...

Thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Fit a U-Turn or similar travel change fork then you can have your cake and eat it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Ash_
    Ash_ Posts: 385
    nicklouse wrote:
    Fit a U-Turn or similar travel change fork then you can have your cake and eat it.

There is a Revelation U-turn that fits the bill, but nowhere in Europe seems to have it at a reasonable price - I've seen it pretty cheap from the US on eBay, but then you've got to add on duties...

Also, I'm not really convinvced by all the extra stuff to potentially go wrong on the u-turns... And I cant afford Fox Talas.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The 140mm may invalidate your warranty.

Lots of 120mm forks out there and I'd plump for one of those. Sits in the middle of the travel range. A shorter fork will steepen the geometry making it feel a bit quicker steering, a longer fork will slacken the geo adding stability - useful downhill.