Today's Planet-X Bargain

Wrath Rob
Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat

Comments

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Do you not have a crash replacement thing on current helmet?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Sketchley
    Stop being sensible! :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I shall be measuring my head tonight when I get home.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    after how long should you replace your helmet. I got mine in April 2007.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I "need" a new helmet, but they're out of Black/Red :(
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    FFS, my 4 year old mtb helmet isn't so great all of a sudden, I to shall be measuring my head when I get home...
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Nag dad it!!!

Noticed after my off about 6 weeks ago that my old Giro Pneumo helmet had managed to snap the plastic at the back of the roc loc system.

Thought I needed a new helmet, and then managed to find a replacement locking system which I ordered from CRC for £6.

I could have been sporting one of these lovely Prolights!!! :cry:
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Got my Giro Prolight for £75 a few weeks ago from Farnham Cycles, still the same price.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    They're really blitzing the bargains at the moment, they had Schwalbe Blizzard folder tyres for £6.99 yesterday... I was so tempted but I have so many tyres in stock which I have bought in other sales... I don't think I have paid more than a tenner for a tyre ever, just buy them and have 'em in stock when they're cheap...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • notsoblue
    They're really blitzing the bargains at the moment, they had Schwalbe Blizzard folder tyres for £6.99 yesterday... I was so tempted but I have so many tyres in stock which I have bought in other sales... I don't think I have paid more than a tenner for a tyre ever, just buy them and have 'em in stock when they're cheap...

End of season isn't it? I'd avoid Blizzards, you may as well be using durex for puncture protection.
  • Headhuunter
    notsoblue wrote:

End of season isn't it? I'd avoid Blizzards, you may as well be using durex for puncture protection.

Really? I've used Blizzards on one of my commuter bikes for a while and they've been absolutely fine...
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    dodgy wrote:
    Got my Giro Prolight for £75 a few weeks ago from Farnham Cycles, still the same price.

Do you think that the lid is up to the wear and tear of daily commuting (rain, scuffing about etc) or would its lightness/materials mean it should be kept for best?
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    davmaggs wrote:
    dodgy wrote:

Do you think that the lid is up to the wear and tear of daily commuting (rain, scuffing about etc) or would its lightness/materials mean it should be kept for best?

I'd say you have valid concerns. IT's easily up to the job for what I use it for, long day rides. But some of the retention mateiral is very thin and light. It is extremely light though, honestly, it almost stays in the air if you toss it up in the air lightly.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue wrote:

Really? I've used Blizzards on one of my commuter bikes for a while and they've been absolutely fine...

My PX came with Blizzards and I must have had three punctures in the first week. :shock:
    Ever since then I've had gatorskins and have never had a puncture (besides one pinch punction from going over a pothole with low tyre pressure). Maybe I was just unlucky with the Blizzards?
  • Headhuunter
    notsoblue wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

My PX came with Blizzards and I must have had three punctures in the first week. :shock:
    Ever since then I've had gatorskins and have never had a puncture (besides one pinch punction from going over a pothole with low tyre pressure). Maybe I was just unlucky with the Blizzards?

yeah may be, I've had a few sets as they often seem to be in the sales. I've got a set on my Ribble and have had 1 puncture since last Nov (about 60-80 miles per week) when a dirty great nail wedged itself in the tyre...
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    I am hoping that one will still be on offer when I get paid, need a new helmet. will have to measure my head but I suspect that because I am a size 61 beret size, I shall be needing a large.

My current Met helmet is ok, but it could do with replacing after a couple of knocks.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Helmet arrived today. Good fit and its exceptionally light. The Rocloc system on my previous one isn't present, replaced with some changeable mounts for the strap. First impressions are positive, I'll know more once I try it for the ride home tonight
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.