Orbit America Sport

stumack
stumack Posts: 20
edited October 2011 in Your road bikes
This is my old campaigner. Without having much info on the original spec it looks fairly original. The paint job might be new tho

orbitamerica-1.jpg

Comments

• ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    It's from the period after Orbit were bought by Simon Gershon and relocated from the Midlands to City Road in Sheffield, hence the different decals to the ones you see on many earlier Orbits.

Reynolds 531 frame and forks - still a good bike.
  • stumack
    stumack Posts: 20
    thanks a lot for that. i bought it and then did the glasgow to edinburgh without any work and it performed flawlessly (albeit i was a bit broken)
  • ynyswen24, are you able to age it at all from your knowledge?

Mid nineties maybe?
  • I think so, yes.

It looks very much like the ones I remember Simon G and the Orbit crew making at that time. I was working in Freewheel in Sheffield, also part owned by Simon, and we sold a lot of Orbit bikes - though they were better known for their tourers and tandems we sold a fair number of Americas. I think, but don't quote me, that the frames were still being made by the original owners of Orbit, in Dudley - they had taken the name Sirius that they continued to build bikes under and concentrated more on road and time trialling.
  • thanks a lot. good to know what's been between my legs... :lol:
  • ynyswen24 wrote:
    I think so, yes.

It looks very much like the ones I remember Simon G and the Orbit crew making at that time. I was working in Freewheel in Sheffield, also part owned by Simon, and we sold a lot of Orbit bikes - though they were better known for their tourers and tandems we sold a fair number of Americas. I think, but don't quote me, that the frames were still being made by the original owners of Orbit, in Dudley - they had taken the name Sirius that they continued to build bikes under and concentrated more on road and time trialling.

This is true as i used to build them :D
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    Good to know my punditry is correct! We'll probably have talked at some point in the past, so hello and pleased to meet you again...
    Are you still building frames? I'm just starting to, strange how things turn round!