Bike repair business

MichaelW
MichaelW Posts: 2,164
edited August 2011 in The bottom bracket
Does anyone run this type of business without a bike-shop premesis?
I'm thinking of doing"lightweight" repairs, punctures, cables, spokes etc for the local commuter crown who don't want to leave their bike in the shop for several days and don't want to do their own repairs
I'm not looking to do the kind of stuff needing big tools, that can wait for the weekend.

Is this a viable proposition. Who much should I charge?

Comments

• chiark
    chiark Posts: 335
    Chap up the road from me has started up something like this called the Bike Doctor... His workshop is his cellar :D

http://www.bikedoctorleeds.co.uk/

I had him fit my headset as I didn't want to make a mess of it, and he was a friendly, enthusiastic guy... Might be worth dropping him an email?
    Synapse Alloy 105 / Rock Lobster Tig Team Sl
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    I think those who would be interested are on clunkers and won't want to pay much. Those on decent bikes are enthusiasts who will be self-sufficient.
  • amun1000
    amun1000 Posts: 242
    gilesjuk wrote:
    I think those who would be interested are on clunkers and won't want to pay much. Those on decent bikes are enthusiasts who will be self-sufficient.

Looks like he's doing right

Due to exceptional demand I am now fully booked up until next week. I am taking bookings from 2pm on Mon 22nd Aug
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. H.G. Wells
  • amun1000
    amun1000 Posts: 242
    As a further note.
    I think its a great idea. My work colleagues are not bike savvy and dont think twice about getting their bikes serviced for £25.00 (tuning). Hey people will even have their cars washed - so why not bikes repaired!

I started a bike courier business back in the mid 80's - got some funny looks at first but eventually people could see the benefit of using bikes and a built a good customer base

Andrew
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. H.G. Wells
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Surprising how many people on flash bikes aren't that clued up on mechanics - for quite a few just fixing a puncture is about their limit.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    In Edinburgh a "pop up" bike mechanic appears on The Meadows (big park) on Saturdays and Sundays, just has a van nearby and a gazebo, does quite well with people just passing by..not sure if he has a shop elsewhere but if you go where the bikes are then you should get some business.
  • mark63
    mark63 Posts: 43
    you only have to look on here to see that there are a number of people who don't want the hassle or possibly don't have the knowledge or just can't be ars*d to do the most simple of tasks on a bike, I think it may boil down to location, location, location, good luck with the idea :)
  • I wandered past Perry Cycles in Woolwich a couple of days ago. They sell a wide range of bikes. Outside, there was a notice saying that bike repairs were taking 14 days. If it's taking them 14 days, demand must be outstripping supply.
  • lifeform
    lifeform Posts: 126
    As per Mark63 - location is all I fancy.

We have just such a place here in Brighton - and they'll come round in their little Bedford Rascal pick-up thing and take it away. Usually a two day turnaround. Seems to be at least three guys in the workshop, and one chap who owns/runs it.

But, there are an awful lot of casual cyclists riding around on old tat in Brighton, and the local bike shops are rather questionable in attitude, if not quality, when it comes to servicing.

That said, I've used this place once, and won't be returning.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I think a few target train stations and get the commuter crowds that way. I'd probably just target big businesses and ask them to put a leaflet up in the staff kitchen or something and try and do a few at a time in the same location. I doubt you'd get rich from it but given the number of similar businesses that have sprung up I guess it much pay the bills.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,180
    There's a mobile bike repairer advertising in my area of south Wales.
  • mossychops
    mossychops Posts: 262
    I'd be tempted for certain smallish jobs like headset stripping down and greasing. I did a freewheel once and struggled to get the bearings back in nicely in place. I need my headsets doing and dont fancy attempting it myself at the moment in case I cant get it all back perfect and I'm either without my bike until it's sorted or things wont be hundred percent.

Maybe you could offer to go through some things with people so they can do it next time? I would love someone to offer that near me without having to do a complete maintenance course)
  • robklancs
    robklancs Posts: 498
    There's a guy in Lancaster who does it but he does everything and is always busy. He gets into local schools and charges them a day rate local businesses etc.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Look at http://www.southcoastbikes.co.uk as an example of a great way to run a repair business.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey