any Mavic A319 owners?

clarkey cat
clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
The minimum tyre width for these rims is 28c and I have a 28c Marathon + on the back. Havent put the front on yet. I tried to put a 28c Conti GP4 season on the front last night but when I pumped it up (to 120psi) the inner tube popped out between the rim and the tyre and after a few seconds burst.

Does anyone know if a 28c Conti in 'thinner' than a 28c marathon + ? I know it shouldnt be.

Or did I just put the tyre on wrong - I was struggling with it TBH.

Dont want a similar thing happening on a fast descent.

Thx

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    are you sure the tyre bead was seated properly?

i have had this when i was fitting my marathons on my CXP rims, i ended up with a hump in the tyre on ever turn of the tyre the bike rose about half an inch :shock:
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I have a Mavic 319 on the rear of the commuter, it currently has a Conti- Gator hardshell 700 x 25 on it.

I'm not saying it was easy to get on but not so hard either.
  • clarkey cat

What does that mean?
    I have a Mavic 319 on the rear of the commuter, it currently has a Conti- Gator hardshell 700 x 25 on it.

I thought the minimum it took was a 28c? If it takes a 25c then I might flog my Aksiums.
  • gbsahne001
    I thought the minimum it took was a 28c? If it takes a 25c then I might flog my Aksiums.

I bought it from Wiggle and it does state;-
    Recommended tyre size: 700 x 28 to 47mm

which I failed to read however it had normal gatorskins on (again 700x25) prior to the hardshells and they were easy to fit. Looking at the back wheel now, then it probably would benefit from a wider tyre but it doesn't look that out of place
  • clarkey cat
    OK thanks - I might try it with a 19c-28c inner tube rather than a 28c-38c inner tube as there did seem to be rather alot of rubber needing to get stuffed inside!

Looked quite cool with the conti on - before it burst!
  • mudcow007

What does that mean?

the bit of the tire that has the wire in which locks into the rim is called the "bead"

make sure this is uniform all the way around the rim. if the bead isnt in enough it can cause high spots on the wheel an your tube an pop out
  • clarkey cat
    Thanks Mudcow. I'm pretty sure thats what has happened - especially now gbsahne has pointed out his A319s take 25c. I'll get a new inner tube and try again!

Thanks all!
  • BSRU
    BSRU Posts: 74
    I have A319's and Conti GP4 season tyres, I use 19c-28c inner tubes as already mentioned.
  • clarkey cat
    Thanks BSRU - are they the 28s?
  • mudcow007
    Thanks Mudcow. I'm pretty sure thats what has happened - especially now gbsahne has pointed out his A319s take 25c. I'll get a new inner tube and try again!

Thanks all!

that's cool daddyo!

good luck an don't nip the tube with tyre levers!
  • BSRU
    BSRU Posts: 74
    Thanks BSRU - are they the 28s?

Yes they are the 28's, I did not want to go lower than the recommended by Mavic or Sheldon.
  • clarkey cat
    Cheers - just bought some 20-28 inners and will try again - getting the tyre bead on properly this time.
  • gbsahne001
    Can anyone with a relatively new A319 let me know whether the rim's braking surface is meant to be concave? as I've just adjusted my brakes and noticed that mine is.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Should be flat. Concave rims mean either the braking surface is very thin (unlikely if your wheel is new) or the tyre has been over-pressurised.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    120psi on 28s sounds a bit much to me. I don't know what the recommended pressure is, but I don't take my tyres (23mm Gatorskins) up that high, especially in this sort of weather (wet).
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • gbsahne001
    DesWeller wrote:
    Should be flat. Concave rims mean either the braking surface is very thin (unlikely if your wheel is new) or the tyre has been over-pressurised.

Park tools does say that some wheels are built like this, tbh I'm clutching at straws on this, as I'm trying to avoid buying a new wheel. Wheel has probably done 10k miles which whilst high doesn't seem unreasonable and the front wheel has done more than that but still seems reasonably ok.
  • desweller
    Keep an eye on it, maybe measure the rim wall. The A319 is ruddy strong so you might be able to get away with it if you keep your pressures down (you don't need to run 28s at high pressures, that's the whole point of wider tyres).
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • gbsahne001
    Looked at it properly now and think it's on it's last legs, looking at a few other forums, it seems as though other people have had the same issue with the wheel when using V brakes.

Any recommendations for a new wheelset with a rear OLN of 135mm?
  • desweller
    If the hub is OK you could get it relaced with a new rim. Worth looking at.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • gbsahne001
    hub's not too bad, although it does need a new freewheel judging from the sounds emanating from it's vicinity.