National Drive to Work Day?

Blue Meanie
Blue Meanie Posts: 495
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
Had another amusing car driver advise me to 'pay road tax/read the highway code'.
So I was thinking; How about a National Drive To Work Day?

Then I can add my box of metal to the stationary queue of cars all stuck at the lights on their way to work, that'd help.

If every cycle commuter drove to work for one day, and had a sticker saying "I could of cycled, but here I am" on their bumper it would ease congestion and tempers, surely...
FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc

Comments

• I hate it when they do that..... those croissant munchin, coffee swilling, fat bods should pay more NI contributions to cover their increased visits to Mr Quacks ...... Rant Over :evil:

Dont like paying road tax buy a bike!!!

Simples
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    wannabfit wrote:
    I hate it when they do that..... those croissant munchin, coffee swilling, fat bods should pay more NI contributions to cover their increased visits to Mr Quacks ...... Rant Over :evil:

Dont like paying road tax buy a bike!!!

Simples
    Why do you assume they are fat and go to the doctor more often. Ahole car drivers come in all shapes and sizes and not every fat car commuter goes to the doctor every 5 minutes.

Or did you mean they go to the Quack more often because they let the car commute stress them out.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    wannabfit wrote:
    Dont like paying road tax then thats ok because it doesn't exist anyway.

FTFY
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Buying a bike doesn't stop you paying VED. I've got four bikes and I still have to fork out £400+ in VED a year.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Yeah, no worries. I'll pay road tax. How much do they want? Should it be less than a truck? Yeah. Less than a 4x4? Yeah. Less than a Prius? Yeah, probably. Oh. That's no road tax at all.

So they want to give me road tax for free, going through all the paperwork and sending of disks etc. That'll be a good money maker.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I never understand why the stock reply to that isn't

"I've got a car but queuing in traffic to get to/from work makes my blood boil byeeeeeeee"

It avoids all the this tax doesn't exist which falls on deaf ears anyway... that^^ is something they'll understand
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • I had a Land Rover Freelander beeping at me this morning pointing at me telling me to get on the cycle path. Shame he didnt stop anywhere otherwise I would have asked him if he really needed a 4 x 4 on the main road. He did seem very irrate, oh well I bet I'm having a better day than him after my nice relaxing commute
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    I personally think for some people that driving a car regularly in rush hour causes mental illness.

How many films have you seen where one of the characters is stuck in a jam then decides to do something drastic?

I can name Falling Down and Office Space.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    gilesjuk wrote:
    I personally think for some people that driving a car regularly in rush hour causes mental illness.

How many films have you seen where one of the characters is stuck in a jam then decides to do something drastic?

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?
  • StefanP
    StefanP Posts: 429
    The Incredibles!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I had a Land Rover Freelander beeping at me this morning pointing at me telling me to get on the cycle path. Shame he didnt stop anywhere otherwise I would have asked him if he really needed a 4 x 4 on the main road. He did seem very irrate, oh well I bet I'm having a better day than him after my nice relaxing commute

Nope - what you should have intended to say was simply "Get off road!!"
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I was crusing along a nice flat bit of road this morning at about 22 mph coming up to a T - Junction where I had right of way - the woman in the Megane that pulled alfway across the road and quite obvioulsy saw me coming - couldnt pull out and just sat there with a disgusted look on her face and shaking her head - even though it was my right of way and i had to pull into the middle of the road to ride arround her.

She nearly got the bird.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    gilesjuk wrote:

Cult films for men who suffer the 9-5.

1134998648.jpg
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    I nearly got taken out by a learner driver just before a T junction . I was obviously rattled and shouting things at him.

Then when pulled up to the junction another driver said "you should indicate", yeah because car drivers always do that don't they!

Perhaps if I wasn't shouting at a learner I would have done.
  • A while back I got arrested (well detained in the back of a police car for 20 mins) having RLJ'd an empty intersection at 4mph. It was on a friday evening when 20 mins of 2 policemens time in a police car could I'm sure have been better used.

The police officer told me that a) I should be paying road tax, b) I should be paying for all the potholes to be fixed, c) I should get sued for damage to the car if a car had mown me down at the intersection, d) the head of his station was making a crack down on RLJ cyclists because other road users (take it cars) had been complaining.

As an aside, during the 20 mins, 3 people tried to steal my bike which was propped up next to the police car.

I went in to the police station to complain about the police officer that he shouldn't be intimidating me on points a), b) especially as road tax does not exist. I was assured that the police officer would be spoken to and that the sergeant would personally phone me to confirm he had done so.

He didn't phone me.
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    notsoblue wrote:
    gilesjuk wrote:

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?

Shaggy Dog
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    A while back I got arrested (well detained in the back of a police car for 20 mins) having RLJ'd an empty intersection at 4mph. It was on a friday evening when 20 mins of 2 policemens time in a police car could I'm sure have been better used.

The police officer told me that a) I should be paying road tax, b) I should be paying for all the potholes to be fixed, c) I should get sued for damage to the car if a car had mown me down at the intersection, d) the head of his station was making a crack down on RLJ cyclists because other road users (take it cars) had been complaining.

As an aside, during the 20 mins, 3 people tried to steal my bike which was propped up next to the police car.

I went in to the police station to complain about the police officer that he shouldn't be intimidating me on points a), b) especially as road tax does not exist. I was assured that the police officer would be spoken to and that the sergeant would personally phone me to confirm he had done so.

He didn't phone me.

Really? they first and foremost tell you about being splattered on the road isn't a good thing
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I always wonder why drivers who insist I should be on a cycle path aren't on the motorway.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Aidy wrote:
    I always wonder why drivers who insist I should be on a cycle path aren't on the motorway.

Because there isn't one immediately parallel to the road they are using?

I just tend to smile and tell them to have a nice day when I get grief.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Asprilla wrote:
    Aidy wrote:

Because there isn't one immediately parallel to the road they are using?

I just tend to smile and tell them to have a nice day when I get grief.

It's not the most convenient route for them, huh?
  • wannabfit wrote:
    Dont (sic) like paying road tax buy a bike!!!

83 years on and people are still banging on 'bout a tax that been abolished!!

Be better, be smarter but for f*cks sake don't feed 'em :roll:
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    gilesjuk wrote:

You can't put OS in that category hardly the crux of the film but great watching zimmer man racing him along
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Blow them a kiss - that totally confuses the b*gg*rs - especially the blokes
  • I tax two cars so if anyone ever tells me I should not be on the road because I don't pay road tax I will explain this to them.... whilst slapping them silly.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • I tax two cars

Fantastic, I've got a bridge for sale, one owner :roll:
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I tax two cars

And I'm selling some ocean-front property in Nebraska. Not sure how either point is relevant, to be honest.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • mossychops
    mossychops Posts: 262
    Does anyone else notice the high proportion of fatties that give helpful advice like that? I find they're either young and showing off to their mates or chubbers.

I am overweight (couple stone) but I do feel a bit smug when it's a huge person shouting things.

Once had a guy complain that I was taking up 2 folding seats on the train with my bike, they were the allocated wheelchair/cycle seats. I kindly pointed out that there were plenty of free seats and pointed to one and he actually said "I can't sit on that cos there are people sitting on the next seat and I need 2 seats to fit on". I resisted the urge to make any reference to the guys size cos if I was him I'd be very depressed already. He didn't seem to notice the irony of complaining.

I sometimes miss my early morning banter on the train with people who really like the folding seats by the door. Was always someone else about to shout something out on my behalf too.
  • Ben6899 wrote:
    I tax two cars

And I'm selling some ocean-front property in Nebraska. Not sure how either point is relevant, to be honest.

For f\cks sake any living person in the 2010's whose paying road tax (which dosen't exist) then they must be s fool and should be taken advantage of! (end of)

So if I have an imaginary bridge to sell to the d*ckhead... don't interfere.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Ben6899 wrote:
    I tax two cars

For f\cks sake any living person in the 2010's whose paying road tax (which dosen't exist) then they must be s fool and should be taken advantage of! (end of)

So if I have an imaginary bridge to sell to the d*ckhead... don't interfere.

Duty is a synonym for tax. VED is a tax. Zombie_donkey did *not* state that (he?) paid "Road Tax".