Afan

garethwd
garethwd Posts: 52
edited September 2011 in Routes
Hi

After some advice plz..Had a tumble a few months back and smashed my collar bone and managed an AC joint separation to boot, This has given me the willys a bit and ive lost a bit of confidence plus the AC joint is still dicky and i fear a hard fall would pop it again Anyways this leads to my question i did the dragon's back last weekend. and i must confess i wasn't too comfortable in places due to the possibility of stuffing myself again...most of it was fine but there was a rocky downhill hill bit (cant remember name) that probably isnt that bad in truth but i wasn't comfortable at all imaging the worst all the down it.....is the wall at afan less technical? l
On One Codeine

On One Parkwood

My babies :)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No Idea about Dragons Back, but the Wall is not very technical at all, mainly fireroad up and fairly smooth descent. Nothing punishing.
    Whites is harsher, technical up in places and rocky down.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Was it your first ride back after injury? If so then its likely that there were condidence issues. The Dragon's back is not the most tecxhnical of trails but there are some (in my view ) tough bits and the rocky sections and vibrations will take there toll on an injured shoulder.

Not ridden the Wall but have heard it is not too bad. But would you be better picking some less taxing trails, both distance and grading to get the shoulder and muscles back used to riding again and your confidence built up?
  • garethwd
    garethwd Posts: 52
    Yeah first proper ride since buggering my shoulder..Probably just my confidence like you say but a couple of sections offered plenty of importunity to come off (in my now seeing danger everywhere eyes) and the landing would be nasty.......I suppose im asking if the Wall is similar to the red a llandeglla fast fun but fairly easy and everything is roll-able
    On One Codeine

On One Parkwood

My babies :)
  • Just checked the routes and I have done the wall. If my memory is correct it is more demanding than Llandegla. Longer, more technical in the climbs and descents. If I was on the way back fom injury I know what I would go for...

Have had experience like yours, smashed up lag and ankle years ago playing rugby and when I came back I found myself thinking about going in and making tackles again and knew it was time to stop, so I have an idea of how it feels. You have my sympathy. In your shoes I would do Llandegla, maybea few runs the blue route to strengthen the muscles and get the fitness and handling back, then hit the red run.

Hope all goes well whatever you opt for.
  • jimpy
    jimpy Posts: 31
    have only done llandegla once but riden the wall many times. as i recall nothing at llandegla (even the black sections) are as hard or technical as the last two sections of the wall (graveyard and zigzags)
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    The wall is great fun but not very technical, probably a perfect ride for upping your confidence again...it would be my choice for sure.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    jimpy wrote:
    have only done llandegla once but riden the wall many times. as i recall nothing at llandegla (even the black sections) are as hard or technical as the last two sections of the wall (graveyard and zigzags)

i've done both quite a few times, if you avoid the black bits at llandegla it's way easier than the wall, even with the black sections of llandegla i'd say that the wall is probably a tougher trail
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    as with most of the above. the wall is probably more taxing than degla. it's basically one long climb up on mainly fire road and then one long down. not that technical, but steeper and tighter than most of degla.

re: your shoulder, i've done exactly the same in the alps a few years ago and now have a nicely 'sprung' a/c joint and dropped shoulder.

bad news is that (with mine at least) they always remain a bit dicky. good news is, it doesn't cause any problems biking and what your going through is a confidence thing, which fades the more you ride / forget about the accident

after another big off a year or so later i manged to tear the rotator cuff muscles and dislocate the same shoulder again. since then i've always used 661 subgear shoulder pads and they work a dream. definitely confidence inspiring and have saved the same shoulder from further injury on yet another big off - well worth a look

sadly they didn't save the broken wrist.... must get better on bike
  • Did the Wall last weekend and it should be fine.

I'm still building confidence after a fall and a broken rib but I loved the wall.

It seemed very smooth and safe to ride at speed. Just remember to lean away from the cliff edge as a fall down the side of the hill wouldn't be pleasant.

Have fun!
  • Hi, you might want to check out Brechfa if you haven't ridden there. I'd say the Gorlech trail there is not as rocky and tricky as Dragon's Back and probably smoother than The Wall but it is still a hell of a lot of fun.
    www.trailguru.co.uk - The ultimate guide to mountain biking in Wales