Bike clutter

Roundandround
Roundandround Posts: 31
edited August 2011 in Commuting general
Quite like this, from today's Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/b ... ng-clutter

Comments

• For my commuter/touring bike I will always have the following in my saddlebag.

Multi tool
    2 inner tubes
    Patch kit
    Tyre levers
    Penknife
    CO2 Device
    5 CO2 cartridges
    6 energy gels
    3 energy powders
    Pair of socks
    Rain shield
    Overshoes
    Waterproof trousers
    Ordnance survey map (to be changed to an A-Z now I live in London)
    Spare batteries
    £5 in change
    £10 note

This is largely due to my previous hobby of going out for solo 60-90 miles rides in the countryside and having to be self reliant on getting home. As you never know how the weather an change when you're in work I bring waterproofs.

It probably explains why a sportive is of no interest to me but Audaxes have a distinct lure.
    --
    FCN 9
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Regardless of the saddlebag I use or bike I ride, I find there is always 4 stone too much in my jersey :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • my commute/fun SS has in it's paniers

one inner tube
    one 15mm tool
    one tiny multy tool
    3 tyre levers
    2 allen keys
    one full sized pump.
    one padlock
    one cable

plus high powered bike light.
    and keys.

I have phone and wallet, on my person

Bar keys and torch I leave the rest on the bike it's not high value etc.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    A pannier *and* a backpack? Is he a sherpa and carrying stuff for other people? Seems like he's packing for all seasons on a daily basis. :o

One backpack carries all in my case:

3 or 4 inner tubes
    Hand-pump
    Insulating tape
    Chain tool
    Chain links
    Multi-tool/allen key set
    Spoke keys
    Deflation repair kit
    Spare light batteries
    Lights (on mounts if summer)

And, like the author, have a helmet and some reflective strips. (He could put reflective strips on his frame if he needed to.)

Why does he need a cleaning rag for the commute? Clean the bike when you arrive home.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • What? You're not carrying a wheel-jig?
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • zenistar
    zenistar Posts: 75
    I commute offroad so I end up with a camelbak containing the following:

Waterbladder (often skip this as I find a full bottle each way is enough)
    Jacket
    Trail map
    Shock pump
    Mini pump
    2 x 16g Co2 cans and hose
    Spare tube
    Emergency bivi bag
    Pen knife
    Multitool with chain tool
    Normal puncture repair kit plus tire boots and self adhesive patches
    Spare mech hanger
    SRAM links
    Tire levers
    First aid kit
    Inhaler
    Emergency whistle
    Zip ties
    Food
    Cash
    Phone

Fortunatly no washkit / work clothes needed as these all get left at the office and no locks are needed as we have a locked bike shed :)
    2012 Brompton S6L
    2011 Canyon Nerve XC 9.0
    2001 Specialized Allez
    1998 Specialized Rockhopper FS - still going strong!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've got a tube and tyre levers zip tied to the saddle rails.

In my commuting backpack I carry:
    Pump
    A few zip ties (always useful)
    Mutlitool
    Stick on patches
    A couple of powerlinks.
    Phone with a £5 note hidden in the back of the case for emeergencies.

Everything else is work stuff rather than bike stuff.

What the guy from the Guardian needs is a motorised bike :lol:
    The only downside is if the engine fails, then you are stuffed, because the bicycle weighs 40 kilos with engine, and the 3 trailers that i currently tow, for all the spare parts and tools weighs around 80 kilos, plus rolling resistance.

For that reason i carry a spare engine, full drive train, spare front and rear wheel, shifters; derailleur, cables,,, basically a full spare bike except the frame.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Right, just spotted things I should add to.

Zip ties, mech hanger, SRAM links.

Thanks zenistar
    --
    FCN 9
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    You dont need to remove lights. Use a dynamo hub and bolt-on lights.
    I use a helmet with holes big enough to accept a shackle lock.
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    Indeed. Mine are bolted to the bike and some dynamo lights switch on automatically now.

I can't notice the drag even if I leave the lights switched on all the time.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Pump
    one tube
    2 patches
    Multi tool with chain splitter
    Waterproof top (Howies super lightweight)
    2 tyre levers
    One power link, I use 2 on the chain one inner link apart, thus I can swap that in to replace any damaged section and only loose first gear.

No point carrying a chain splitter unless you carry what you need to replace a failed piece of chain, no point carrying a powerlink really as the only repair you can make is to replace the one you already have!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • No point carrying a chain splitter unless you carry what you need to replace a failed piece of chain, no point carrying a powerlink really as the only repair you can make is to replace the one you already have!

Well if a section was damaged I could use the chain splitter to remove that bit, use the powerlink to join it and then ride on a shortened chain while being more aware of what gear I was using.
    --
    FCN 9
  • zenistar
    zenistar Posts: 75

Well if a section was damaged I could use the chain splitter to remove that bit, use the powerlink to join it and then ride on a shortened chain while being more aware of what gear I was using.

Exactly why i carry both a chain splitter and two SRAM powerlinks.
    2012 Brompton S6L
    2011 Canyon Nerve XC 9.0
    2001 Specialized Allez
    1998 Specialized Rockhopper FS - still going strong!
  • Mr Will
    Mr Will Posts: 216
    Phone, Wallet, Keys. If it looks like rain, I'll take my waterproofs. No pump, no tools, no junk.

In nearly 4000 miles I've only found myself walking once.
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra
  • paulus69
    paulus69 Posts: 160
    Up until I recently I always used a rucksack containing amongst other things my repair kit, now I've bought a topeak saddle bag which now holds:-
      CO2 inflator Glueless patch kit Tyre levers Spare chain links chain splitter Disposable gloves (don't like getting grease over my nice soft hands) Minitool (just contains allen/screwdriver ends) Compact bike lights (ebay torch style) Lightweight waterproof jacket
    Underneath the saddle bag (it has straps) is a cheap cycle lock (the one that came free with MBUK) and on the back of the saddle bag is my rear light.
    .[/list]

I find it so much nicer going riding without a bag to carry and the saddlebag has been one of my best purchases to date!
    Me on Strava
    My cycling blog
    Specialized Secteur 2012 / Carrera Vulcan v-spec
  • Mr Will wrote:

If you're riding around a city then it's a much more feasible option. I wouldn't risk riding out deep into the countryside where phone signal is patchy and it can be a 10 mile walk to the nearest village.

You're having more luck that I do with punctures, I seem to average about one every 1000 miles.
    --
    FCN 9
  • Mr Will
    Mr Will wrote:

If you're riding around a city then it's a much more feasible option. I wouldn't risk riding out deep into the countryside where phone signal is patchy and it can be a 10 mile walk to the nearest village.

You're having more luck that I do with punctures, I seem to average about one every 1000 miles.

Fully aware of that, but just wanted to make the point that carrying everything plus the kitchen sink is not a neccesity for a lot of commuters, however much the paranoid amongst us might think!
  • Mr Will
    Mr Will wrote:

Fully aware of that, but just wanted to make the point that carrying everything plus the kitchen sink is not a neccesity for a lot of commuters, however much the paranoid amongst us might think!
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Recently had a mechanical during a trial commute and ended up with a new tyre.

Currently travel about 3 miles each way so carry pump and Bell multi-tool which has a small puncture kit included. Nothing else is bike specific. I always leave in enough time to be able to walk the whole way anyway, and based on the law of averages I'd probably make it more than halfway.

When on a 'ride' I tend to carry nutrition of some sort such as bananas, nuts and sports drinks. I don't have a chain tool and to be fair wouldn't know what to do with it anyway. Anything serious and I'd have to use mobile and cash for taxi. If I ever need a lock I just tie it round the frame (cable type) but I never leave the bike for long anyway.

Since my commute is probably going to go up to 20-21 mile round trip I might have to review my carry kit.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    I have a saddlepack more or less permanently attached to the commute bike (fortunately I leave it in a secure car park, so I can also leave my helmet with it) which contains:

tube
    self-adhesive patches
    a couple of SRAM powerlinks
    tyre levers
    a tesco multitool with chain tool
    pump (on a frame bracket)

I carry a courier bag for a change of shirt (and trousers if I'm wearing shorts) deodorant, comb, baby wipes and work stuff. Shoes live at work. Also in there is a waterproof jacket and my locks.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    For my commuter/touring bike I will always have the following in my saddlebag.

Multi tool
    2 inner tubes
    Patch kit
    Tyre levers
    Penknife
    CO2 Device
    5 CO2 cartridges
    6 energy gels
    3 energy powders
    Pair of socks
    Rain shield
    Overshoes
    Waterproof trousers
    Spare batteries
    £5 in change
    £10 note

Holy crap Batman - that's bonkers! I do 100 plus mile routes with no likely chance of a lift home if it goes wrong and I don't carry half of that.

Multi tool - yep
    2 inner tubes - yep
    Patch kit - yep
    Tyre levers - yep
    Penknife - eh! Whatever for? Getting stones out of the hooves of horses ridden by damsels in distress? More useful than the penknife is a few cable ties and a quick link or two
    CO2 Device - you've already got two inner tubes and a repair kit!
    5 CO2 cartridges - and you don't have much faith in the cartridges!
    6 energy gels - don't take up much space but I'd rather mix the gels with more palatable food
    3 energy powders
    Pair of socks - only really worth it if rain is actually likely.
    Rain shield - not sure what this is
    Overshoes - again, only if rain is really likely
    Waterproof trousers - won't help much. Leg warmers probably a better bet
    Ordnance survey map (to be changed to an A-Z now I live in London) - a photocopy of same takes up much less space
    Spare batteries - or just make sure the ones you have are well charged£5 in change - why carry change around; it just weighs and rattles. Even phone boxes usually seem to need plastic these days. Probably better to take a couple of notes and a card.£10 note
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I always ride as light as possible. In my backpack for work there is (bike related) 1 tube, tyre leavers, mini pump, and a small multi tool. No need for anything else. If something goes wrong that I can't fix at the side of the road with that, then the chances are that I wouldn't be able to fix it at the side of the road anyway and I'd need to get it home to be worked on.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    First, a helmet. It does tend to spend more time in the pannier than on my head to be honest, but I like to wear it if riding in bad weather or after dark or if I find myself on a very busy or hazardous road.

Now this is ridiculous. If you are going to carry a helmet with you, why not carry it using the blob on the top of your body? The helmet will probably fit it perfectly and even has convenient straps that ensure it won't fall off.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    For my commuter/touring bike I will always have the following in my saddlebag.

Multi tool
    2 inner tubes
    Patch kit
    Tyre levers
    Penknife
    CO2 Device
    5 CO2 cartridges
    6 energy gels
    3 energy powders
    Pair of socks
    Rain shield
    Overshoes
    Waterproof trousers
    Spare batteries
    £5 in change
    £10 note

Holy crap Batman - that's bonkers! I do 100 plus mile routes with no likely chance of a lift home if it goes wrong and I don't carry half of that.

Multi tool - yep
    2 inner tubes - yep
    Patch kit - yep
    Tyre levers - yep
    Penknife - eh! Whatever for? Getting stones out of the hooves of horses ridden by damsels in distress? More useful than the penknife is a few cable ties and a quick link or two
    CO2 Device - you've already got two inner tubes and a repair kit!
    5 CO2 cartridges - and you don't have much faith in the cartridges!
    6 energy gels - don't take up much space but I'd rather mix the gels with more palatable food
    3 energy powders
    Pair of socks - only really worth it if rain is actually likely.
    Rain shield - not sure what this is
    Overshoes - again, only if rain is really likely
    Waterproof trousers - won't help much. Leg warmers probably a better bet
    Ordnance survey map (to be changed to an A-Z now I live in London) - a photocopy of same takes up much less space
    Spare batteries - or just make sure the ones you have are well charged£5 in change - why carry change around; it just weighs and rattles. Even phone boxes usually seem to need plastic these days. Probably better to take a couple of notes and a card.£10 note

The CO2 device is because I don't carry a pump, the multitude of CO2 cartridges is force of habit from MTB days when I seemed to puncture multiple times in a ride and also in case I misuse one.

The socks & rain gear is because if I keep taking it in and out I might forget to pick it up in the morning. I don't like photocopies of OS maps as I end up carrying multiple bits of paper and they're not that big.

The gels are really there as emergency food, if I'm going out for a long ride I'll include a tea room for scone and tea.

Penknife - This is force of habit, I have one in my camera bag, car door, laptop bag, coat pocket. You never know when you might need one.

The spare batteries are useful as I use a Fenix LD20 as a torch and it eats batteries on long night rides.

Yes I am fully aware that my load it crazy, but I'm not fast so it doesn't really matter.
    --
    FCN 9