Strange Tyre marks on sidewall?

paddlersteve
paddlersteve Posts: 7
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I ride a mountain bike (Kona Kikapu) and use it for getting to work and back.

I've noticed over a period of time that I have diagonal scuff marks on the tyre wall that radiate from the rim out to the tread. They don't radiate perpendicular to the rim, but curve away from it slightly in the opposite direction to the rotation of the wheel.

I am aware that this must be rubbing on something and never really taken any serious notice but today I got a flat and upon investigation, one of this scuffs had worm almost through the tyre at one point and damaged the tube.

Strangly, the scuff marks are almost perfectly evenly spaced and almost exactly the same spacing as the spokes.

The wheel hub and bearing feel fine, perhaps a tiny bit of play but nothing that would have the tyre rubbing on the frame. With a bit of speed I've given the bike a wobble and a sustained pressure by turning each way and tried to see and hear what is rubbing, but can't spot anything. The wheel isn't buckled. The marks appear on both sides, but are slightly more pronounced on one.

I can't be part of the frame rubbing as that would give a consistent wear around the circumference of the tyre, but that's not the case.

Can anyone shed any light or give me some thoughts as to what might be causing it?

Link to photos:
http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o203/wilfords/Tyre/

Comments