Trek Fuel EX 9.8 Carbon Frame failure

Scaymo
Scaymo Posts: 9
edited August 2012 in MTB general
I bought a brand new Trek Fuel EX 9.8 in 2009. In June this year I found some cracking in the frame which has only had some mild cross country use. Trek have agreed this is a warranty issue and will replace the frame the only problem is they will only replace the front end and have offered to sell me the rear end for £200 if I want my bike to match. If I do not agree I will be left with a really odd looking black and red front end of a 2011 bike with a white and gold back rear triangle from the 2009 model.

Has anyone had this sort of problem with Trek before? Most post say how good their service is but I find them lacking and I am now considering legal action to resolve the issue as Trek seem to be digging their heels in.

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    I don't think you will have a leg to stand on legally

The SOGA does not cover problems with different coloured parts, only things that are technically not fit for purpose
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    as above.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Scaymo
    Thanks your probably right but I would base any claim that they only replaced part of a faulty frame. The fact the rear triangle can be removed does not make it any less part of the frame. As for the front forks, stem and other parts I can live with this, even though they look odd they are not part of the warranty and I accept that Trek do not have to replace these to match. But for a £3000 plus bike you would think Trek would be a little bit sympathetic. If you saw the bike you would know where I am coming from. plus small claims courts are fun!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you say so.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • lm_trek
    lm_trek Posts: 1,470
    Some bike companies only give 2 years on frames, i know my P7 only has 2 years against failure, For Trek to offer to replace the frontend i don't find that an issue in fact its very good of them, if the back end doesn't fit i would expect the whole bike but its not, so just ride it and get it muddy who would know anyway. niche is cool these days!
  • airbusboy
    airbusboy Posts: 231
    If you are concerned spend the £200.... that sounds a fairly discounted rear end.
    'Ride hard for those who can't.....'
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    MTFU! So what if the rear end doesn't match? It's a mountain bike, not a show horse
    The most iomportant thing is that you're riding it again
    If you want to escalate the issue, I suggest you look at this site for more information
  • airbusboy
    airbusboy Posts: 231
    MTFU! So what if the rear end doesn't match? It's a mountain bike, not a show horse

Brilliant!!

But tbh if i had spent £3000+ on a MTB i'd want it to look good!! Obviously buying a carbon fibre MTB you have more money than sense..... just buy the rear end
    'Ride hard for those who can't.....'
  • Scaymo
    Thanks for the negative comments which ammount to "Trek are doing me a favour" and "it's my fault that I paid too much for a carbon frame bike", I did not realise Trek were so well though of. I'm not made of money and going out on my bike is one of the few things I get to do. I bought a carbon frame after numerous people said how good they were. two things I will not do again (1) Carbon (2) Trek. If I had bought a car I would not expect any warranty which covers the car to replace the front but not the back. No it not a show horse but when I sell it, which will be as soon as I get it back, it has seriously devalued what I would expect to get back. On top of that I have had two months of summer with no bike. And for those who think I am being unfair to the corporation which is Trek Cycles. Trek, your my hero's.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    Trek UK tried to fob us off with a problem to my wife's wsd trek fuel years ago.

it was only after sending emails to the head of trek uk, containing info from trek usa about the problem, that they agreed it was a warranty problem and we got it sorted.

I don't look at trek, or others of the same company, made in the same factories.

check for this issue on websites from USA and see what trek has done there.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    Not sure what coming on here and throwing all you toys out of the pram will achieve
  • tom_howard
    tom_howard Posts: 789
    Scaymo wrote:
    If I had bought a car I would not expect any warranty which covers the car to replace the front but not the back..

Fair point, but if the front suspension arms of said car failed, would you expect them to replace the rear as well?
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • Scaymo
    Not sure what coming on here and throwing all you toys out of the pram will achieve.

Well what has it achieved, let me think. Two to three hundred people will be aware that a Trek carbon frame only lasted 18 months with light use and their idea of acceptable is sending a top end bike out from Trek that looks like it is a cut and shut from random parts. Ok maybe I'm being fussy maybe coming on a forum and "throwing my toys out of my pram" is not cricket but it makes me feel better. Thanks for the comment. I probably would have accepted it but even the dealer says it looks wrong. Trek told me to send it back to them when I complained and they would come up with a solution. I could have saved the delivery cost if they told me the solution was going to be "you pay for it to match". Awsome!

Oh and by the way thanks to the one person who actually answered the original question and offered some useful advice "has anyone had problems with Trek before?" if anyone wants to answer that one feel free. failing that if your equally welcome to call me what ever you want, its water off a ducks back to me and keeps the topic fresh.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The car analogy's a strong one... If you had a warranty claim for a body panel on a car, you'd get a replacement the same colour, nobody would ever suggest otherwise. So why should bikes be different?

If we're saying "Why does the colour matter"- that must be why all bikes are the same colour right? Trek think the colour matters obviously.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    Well i am sure Trek will probably read these forums and its not going to help your case oh and always helpful to start talking on a public forum before going down the legal route
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Northwind wrote:
    The car analogy's a strong one... If you had a warranty claim for a body panel on a car, you'd get a replacement the same colour, nobody would ever suggest otherwise. So why should bikes be different?

If we're saying "Why does the colour matter"- that must be why all bikes are the same colour right? Trek think the colour matters obviously.

I've got to say I agree with this.

I'd expect better from Trek.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    bails87 wrote:
    Northwind wrote:

I would not agree. "most" bike models do not come with colour options. but do change colour year in year out.

Cars come in a number of colours and you chose a colour as well as the rest of the spec.

Bikes nope. Colour is not really and "option".
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Scaymo wrote:
    Not sure what coming on here and throwing all you toys out of the pram will achieve.

Well what has it achieved, let me think. Two to three hundred people will be aware that a Trek carbon frame only lasted 18 months with light use and their idea of acceptable is sending a top end bike out from Trek that looks like it is a cut and shut from random parts. Ok maybe I'm being fussy maybe coming on a forum and "throwing my toys out of my pram" is not cricket but it makes me feel better. Thanks for the comment. I probably would have accepted it but even the dealer says it looks wrong. Trek told me to send it back to them when I complained and they would come up with a solution. I could have saved the delivery cost if they told me the solution was going to be "you pay for it to match". Awsome!

Oh and by the way thanks to the one person who actually answered the original question and offered some useful advice "has anyone had problems with Trek before?" if anyone wants to answer that one feel free. failing that if your equally welcome to call me what ever you want, its water off a ducks back to me and keeps the topic fresh.

If this is how you spoke to Trek, i'm amazed they gave you anything :)
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    There really are a lot of condescending people on here.

Apart from this place, the only forums I really used are associated with cars. There people are supportive and offer advice when fellow members are having problems with manufacturers. Yes, sometimes the member is in the wrong, but I’ve never heard people talking to them the way they do on here.

If I was in the OP’s position I think I would be doing very similar things. Forums are a place to seek advice from like minded people. That’s how we discover “common” faults, where manufacturers often try to pull a fast one.

The aesthetic appeal of bikes etc. is important to most people and to go from a £3k very nice bike, to something that looks like it has been cobbled together in somebody’s garage is a big thing. I know people always say that performance is key, but there isn’t half a lot of chat on here about shiny anodised parts and colour coded hoses that aren’t performance related.

To the OP, best of luck with Trek, I’m surprised that they are taking this stance and fully agree with your position. Maybe try and meet them somewhere in the middle for the price of the new rear end.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • weeksy59
    PaulBox wrote:
    To the OP, best of luck with Trek, I’m surprised that they are taking this stance and fully agree with your position. Maybe try and meet them somewhere in the middle for the price of the new rear end.

I'd have thought £200 IS in the middle for the price of a rear end.

When my frames were replaced i wasn't given a choice on colour, "whatever box they pick" meant it could have been Red, White or luminous green ! I didn't care..
  • paulbox
    nicklouse wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    Northwind wrote:

I would not agree. "most" bike models do not come with colour options. but do change colour year in year out.

Cars come in a number of colours and you chose a colour as well as the rest of the spec.

Bikes nope. Colour is not really and "option".
    Colour is an option on bikes, if you don't like the colour of a bike you might be less inclined to buy it, that is your option.

When I bought my Anthem (2010) I went for the X2 because I prefered the blue to the red of the X1.
  • paulbox
    weeksy59 wrote:
    PaulBox wrote:

I'd have thought £200 IS in the middle for the price of a rear end.

When my frames were replaced i wasn't given a choice on colour, "whatever box they pick" meant it could have been Red, White or luminous green ! I didn't care..
    I agree that £200 isn't a bad price for the rear end, but there's no harm in asking.

But would you have cared if the front and rear ends didn't match?
  • paulbox
    Tom Howard wrote:
    Scaymo wrote:
    If I had bought a car I would not expect any warranty which covers the car to replace the front but not the back..

Fair point, but if the front suspension arms of said car failed, would you expect them to replace the rear as well?
    I don't think your analogy works mate... :?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    weeksy59 wrote:

But that was for a whole frame wasn't it?
    They weren't offering you a luminous green front with a red rear triangle?

And in previous years, at least some of the Trek models came in a choice of colours.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • weeksy59
    well my frame meant my forks didn't match and neither did my wheels... However i then bought red wheels so have white frame, black forks and red wheels....

Would i have cared... probably... but i would still take it if it were the only option.
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    PaulBox wrote:
    If I was in the OP’s position I think I would be doing very similar things. Forums are a place to seek advice from like minded people. That’s how we discover “common” faults, where manufacturers often try to pull a fast one.

The aesthetic appeal of bikes etc. is important to most people and to go from a £3k very nice bike, to something that looks like it has been cobbled together in somebody’s garage is a big thing. I know people always say that performance is key, but there isn’t half a lot of chat on here about shiny anodised parts and colour coded hoses that aren’t performance related.

+ (at least) 1
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Whilst Trek may not offer a colour choice, there are countless bike manufacturers that offer colour choices for the same model bike.....I'd be pretty annoyed if I'd payed 3k for a bike that had broke and then once repaired was different colours front and back.......

I have no where near enough disposable income to afford a 3 grand bike, but I imagine that if I did, I'd probably be able to afford the 200 quid for the matching rear triangle?!......Doesn't mean that it is the right solution though I guess.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Trek's warranty is in addition to your rights. They don't have to offer one. So it is on their terms.

I wouldn't let a failed carbon frame put you off carbon, it is not representative of all carbon frames.
  • On Trek's website it even says that the frame itself has a lifetime warranty, but the swingarm is not included. So they're doing exactly as they say they'll do up front. Replacing the warrantied part.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    On Trek's website it even says that the frame itself has a lifetime warranty, but the swingarm is not included. So they're doing exactly as they say they'll do up front. Replacing the warrantied part.

.....Well that changes everything.....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver