Weird noise coming from Rockshox Tora 302 Solo Air 130mm.

Mawby1710
Mawby1710 Posts: 22
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey guys, bought my wife a Kona Tanuki 2011 a couple months ago, she hasnt had many off road rides on it yet and mainly uses it to get to and from work. A month after we got it the fork started making this clicking noise?? Also it doesnt really sag when she sits on the bike even when I lower the pressure..she does only weigh 49kgs. Took it to my LBS and they recon that it needs "fine tuning" as it was bought online this was not set up for her in store.Not sure what they mean by fine tuning, changing something in the inner parts??
The fork is a Rockshox Tora 302 Solo Air 130mm.

Please if anyone has had a similar problem or can share some insite into this problem.

heres a video I took of the noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Xs8HpsyEmc

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Have a read in the FAQs on Air fork setup - you'll need a special pump!

Would think, though, as there's little sag you can just let air out, not too much as they are small chambers. You would also be advised to check the actual pressure with a gauge and see what 50 kgs come in at on the PSI chart.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    as it is a solo air the FAQs do not cover it.

sag is set in the attack position not seated.

the noise is the valves working in the damping. or you are hitting the bottom out spring.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I just went and had a better look at the forks. cleaned dirt off seals & stancions and put some teflon oil on seals. checked pressure....was at 20psi??cant remember when last I checked hope its not loosing air!
    I dont think its bottoming out because even if I press them in lightly the noise sounds.
    There is a lot of stiction!! It feels as if dust seals are scraping against stancion tubes.
    They dont even sag when I sit on the bike. The psi chart on the fork only shows from 64kg upwards.I have pumped the fork to 60psi.. Should I just pay £55 to my LBS to sort ??
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Download the tech manual from SRAM and have a look - are relatively simple to strip and check.