Just acquired 2nd hand Carrera Fury and have a few questions

Will Nunez
Will Nunez Posts: 203
edited August 2011 in MTB beginners
New to MTB but seasoned Roadie.

Bought this bike (model with Tora forks think its pre 2008). It has ritchie rims. I want to use this bike for off road and as a winter commute (too many falls on road bike last winter on 700x23 tyres). Im hoping the wider tyres will make me less vulnerable on icy roads and space for mudguards will be welcome too.

However I dont want to waste energy using off road tyres for a 25 mile (there and back) commute.Am guessing for winter roads, slicks are going to far. So can anyone recommend good commute tyres (puncture protection essential for my commute) for this bikefor winter grip but strict on road use?

Also I hve no idea what suspension offers. Is there a good idiots guide on how to start using them?

Also finalquestion. I had a carrera vanquish with powerspline BB. Only lastes 6000 miles before I had to change it. Is this a weakpoint for this bike? ShouldI be looking at a hollowtech alternative? also any recomendations on consumables would be good ( eg chains,cassettes (only last 4-5000 on vanquish), oil (am guessing that the dry lube I use on road might not be so effective) and guide lines to expected service intervals would be nice too (eg chains 1000 miles, etc)
Current Stock:
Carrera Vanquish '08
Orbea Onix T105 '11
Carrera Fury '07

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Everything you list is similar to the road service wise.

Slicks are fine in the winter it you run them at a slight lower psi than summer to give them more spread.

I like Spez Amidillos - not had a puncture in over a year and often seem to ride through glass being in London.
  • Will Nunez
    Thanks Chunkers

Found this for Armadillo Nimbus's http://www.myspokes.co.uk/parts/all-parts/tyres

Both Spez Armadillo Nimbus but vastly different tred pattern. Im used to minimum tread :roll: so for winter commute (ie all weather inc ice and snow) which would be prefereable
    Current Stock:
    Carrera Vanquish '08
    Orbea Onix T105 '11
    Carrera Fury '07
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I've got the ones on the right, with black walls. My mate also has these and has not had a punture since fitting either. Still carry fixing kit all the time though, do sometimes wonder why I bother with these. Mental scars I think!
  • Indranil
    Indranil Posts: 70
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    6000 miles?! That is good for any bottom bracket! The Hollowtechs don't usually last half that.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I think one of my old square tapers is on a million miles.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    my bb lasted 5000 miles of the same type so youve done better than me and i have a whole host of better more expensive bikes and one went after 1200 miles another after 3000 miles and the final at 3900 miles so really i wouldnt be complaining at that lol
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • Will Nunez
    Thanks for the feedback. Like the look of the armadillos, but am a sworn Schwalbe fan. Front road tyre on 3500 miles and no punctures! Unlike the continental GP4Season which got through 4 innertubes last january alone! So Schwalbes it will be.

Just got the bike today. It has Rock Shox 318RS on the front. How do I set it up. I want it rigid for roads and want to know what each knob is for? The right hand one has a padlock sign but when turned to tis, its stiffer but not locked. Is that how its supposed to be?
    Current Stock:
    Carrera Vanquish '08
    Orbea Onix T105 '11
    Carrera Fury '07
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Your fork is a Rockshox Tora 318. You should be able to download a manual from SRAM.

Top right knob is compression damping. Fully clockwise will lock the fork (though it retains a small amoubnt of travel for traction)

Top left knob is travel adjust.

Bottom of fork right knob is rebound damping adjust.
  • Will Nunez
    Thanks Supersonoc, I had a look at srams site but could only find technical and service manuals that told me what oil as needed where etc. Im a complete noob when it comes to an MTB, so Im having to google what youve just said. Thats how much of a newbie I am.
    Current Stock:
    Carrera Vanquish '08
    Orbea Onix T105 '11
    Carrera Fury '07