non avid rotors for avid juicy calipers (how to do it)

waynesworld3
waynesworld3 Posts: 10
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All,

Please help!

I would like to use non avid rotors with my avid juicy's due to the excessive cost of the avid rotors.

I currently have 160mm rotors and would like to use tektro 180mm rotors or 180mm hayes rotors with my avid calipers. (front post mount)

I understand that the rotor swap is easy due to the universal 6 bolts rotor patrern but I cant figure out what to do with the adaptors as I would still like to use the avid cps washer system for alignment purposes.

If I use 180mm tektro rotors do i use a 180mm tektro adaptor then attach the caliper with the cpswsher system?

Please give some advice as hayes and tektro rotors are so cheap at the moment and I can only imagine that they are better than the avid rotors which have been very noisy and causing vibrations.

Thanking you all.

Wayne

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    any 180 adapter and the washers are part of the caliper.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Have used rotors from Shimano & Ashima & Tektro with J3s they work but they're different. Shimano rotors are lighter and thinner than Avid's finest and the feel at the lever is like having worn brake pads. Tektro rotors seem to be made out of quarter plate and Ashima are thin and light but not in the same league as Shimano.

A 180 PM/IS front/rear adaptor is the same as any other 180 PM/IS front/rear adaptor.

Take care with the cps washers they give you three dimensions to get it wrong as well as three dimensions to get it right.
  • Thanks for the help. I now understand how to do this.

What rotors would you guy recommend to use with my juicy 3's.

One other thing, should I just go all out and put 203mm rotors on the front of my hardtail or will it look stupid. I am heavy at 100kg's and according to rockshox I can go that big on my recon golds. Im not worried about the extra weight.

Please advise
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Quick tip before you unbolt everything take a photo of how the plain washers and cup and cone washers are assembled its easy to forget what order it goes back together.

Not that ever happened to me 10 mins before I was supposed to go for a ride :oops:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Sounds like a good idea,

Thanks for the advise!