Rim tape, whats it all about?

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
does it matter what type of rim tape you use, or is it literally just a case of havign the heads of the spokes/ spoke holes covered?
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well when you have quite a few PSI on one side you do not want it stretching and allowing the tubes to come in contact with something sharp.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    covering the holes is important as your high pressure inner tube will attempt to head down it and pop
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • mudcow007
    ah right cheers

my new wheels didnt come with any you see......
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Velox for about £2.50 a roll and you really can't go wrong.
  • mudcow007
    Gussio wrote:
    Velox for about £2.50 a roll and you really can't go wrong.

thanks for that, thats the stuff i have seen everywhere but in varying sizes

i think 22mm is a safe bet (for wide rims)

fanks all!
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    In my capacity as the most boring man on earth I will now write a few words on the topic of rim tape

First up, what sorts of tape are there? There are three options.

First, Velox cloth rim tape. The frenchies make this. It has the advantage that it doesn't soften or melt at high temperatures. So if you are doing alpine descents it is supposedly best. Second, there are the plastic hoops that all of the others do. These are slightly easier to fit and easier to remove to do repairs. After you've had Velox on a while it doesn't like being removed and replaced. This can lead to the tape moving or wrinkling so that the sharp spoke ends etc are not isolated from the inner tube. Last up is the cheap crap option. Just use a layer or two of PVC electrical tape. This is ok for emergencies but electrical tape doesn't seem to have the strength to protect the inner tube.
  • It's all a load of Velox.

Velox is the way to go.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Its only a mistake that you make once, but don't forget to line up the valve hole
  • It's worth noting that rim tape is also used to make Michelin Pro3 race tyres next to f*cking impossible to put on Dura Ace C24 rims especially when you're on the roadside and it's freezing cold and p*ssing down with rain ......

Just thought I'd share that .....
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper