Weird Clicking/clacking noise

2»

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Asprilla wrote:
    I ran with a loose spoke for a while, clicks every rotation, sounds like a hub bearing.

I'm reasonably sure mine's hub. It's definitely cadence-related - same point on each pedal stroke regardless of gear. Will swap my saddle/seatpost over just to be sure

Surely if it's the same point on the pedal stoke then it's either the BB or the pedal itself, since the hub can move independently and at a different speed to them?
    Or crank arm. My drivetrain was emitting a very annoying creak on each downstroke of my left leg. Finally got irked enough to do something about it. Removed the left crank; cleaned it; regreased and re-affixed at recommended torques. Blissful silence* this morning :D

* from the crank at least. Now I can hear other minor creaks. Commuter needs some TLC
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Asprilla wrote:
    I ran with a loose spoke for a while, clicks every rotation, sounds like a hub bearing.

I'm reasonably sure mine's hub. It's definitely cadence-related - same point on each pedal stroke regardless of gear. Will swap my saddle/seatpost over just to be sure

Surely if it's the same point on the pedal stoke then it's either the BB or the pedal itself, since the hub can move independently and at a different speed to them?

I had this lots, simple thing to do before anything else, remove pedals, clean thread on pedals and cranks, re-grease and put them back on again.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,381
    JonGinge wrote:
    Now I can hear other minor creaks.

This.

Sorting one problem out only reveals others that were masked by the first.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • It might be haunted.