Drivechain upgrade to 2x10

Northdownsboy
Northdownsboy Posts: 5
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I've ridden casually for years but I'm starting to get more serious and I'm also getting a strange urge to do upgrade thingies to my bike. What's worse is, I seem to want to do them myself even though I've always used my LBS until now.
Anyway I think my drive train is in need of some makeover so I had this idea I would change it to a 2x10 set up. I'm sure I've got the basic idea of what's involved but when I go and look at the various bits on offer I get totally confused. I want something midrange and XC/trail focused and my first idea was LSX but I couldn't work out what I could use. Anyway my questions are:
Is this a stupid thing to do?
Is it stupid for me to try it myself when I've never even indexed my own gears before?
Any suggestions as to what bits I could use?
My bike is a Marin Hawkhill 2006 and is currently 3x8, the front is Truvativ and the back is Deore.

Any insights greatly appreciated.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    all new drive train needed. you can use your rear wheel.

So new cranks/bb/shifters/mechs/chain. Might be cheaper selling the old bike and buying a new one :wink:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/c/q/groupsets
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    2x9 would be more cost competative, and easier to do with good used parts!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks guys. I think I will switch to 2x9, it does seem a lot easier.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Chain, cassette, rear mech and shifter is all you need (we did the lads for a total cost of £32 less the sell on values), the chainwheels and front mech are usually fine although sometimes the front mech can be harder to index.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.