Sram shifters and shimano brakes

trebor127
trebor127 Posts: 246
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I didn't actually think of this when I bought the new xt brakes but can you buy a mount for the sram x9 shifters as I have the matchmaker atm...Had a quick look but can olnly find matchmaker clamps.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nope.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • trebor127
    nicklouse wrote:
    nope.

bollocks lol. any suggestions?
  • nicklouse
    formula or avid brakes Opps you have just bought new brakes.

what are you wanting to do?

shimano dont do any thing for their brakes/gears.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • trebor127
    Well I have elixirs but some XT brakes came up pretty cheap and I like the feel of the shimano more than the avid so bought them not thinking about anything...I want to fit the shimano brakes whilst using the sram shifters....
  • kdawg74
    kdawg74 Posts: 271
    I think hope are bringing out some clamps to use on different makes of shifters and brakes, but dont quote on that
    2008 Kona Dawg Deluxe http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... luxe%2008/

Schwinn Madison fixie
    Tifosi Road bike
    Singlespeed Hardtail http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... AG0457.jpg
  • nicklouse
    trebor127 wrote:
    Well I have elixirs but some XT brakes came up pretty cheap and I like the feel of the shimano more than the avid so bought them not thinking about anything...I want to fit the shimano brakes whilst using the sram shifters....

see if your Local Sram dealer can get new gear mounts for you.
  • trebor127
    nicklouse wrote:
    trebor127 wrote:

see if your Local Sram dealer can get new gear mounts for you.

So you can get them then? Is it not 'normal' to run shimano brakes with sram shifters then? :oops:
  • nicklouse
    very normal but you can not use match makers. you just mount them normally.
  • trebor127
    oki dokey thankyou...will pop into LBS tommorow. Or is there anywhere on the internet that sells them??
  • nicklouse
    nowhere sells them as most people dont want to stop using their match makers. they will be a part to be ordered in. Or you could see is there is anyone wanting to swap.
  • trebor127
    Wantted add placed in the 'wanted' section :)
  • trebor127
    £18 EACH from fishers!!! Trip to LBS later.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    trebor127 wrote:
    Where do you think your LBS will get them from?

Yup Fisher Outdoor.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As the Matchmakers retail for about £50 EACH you should be able to make some money on the deal, why not advertise the MM's in the for sale with a discount for normal clamps back?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    As the Matchmakers retail for about £50 EACH you should be able to make some money on the deal, why not advertise the MM's in the for sale with a discount for normal clamps back?

Simon

But then he has no clamps for the brakes he is trying to sell. :wink:
  • trebor127
    Andy B wrote:
    trebor127 wrote:
    Where do you think your LBS will get them from?

Yup Fisher Outdoor.

They may have a couple of old ones knocking around...are the clamps the same on all sram shifters i.e x5, x7 x9 etc? I maybe as well buying a pair of second hand shifters...
  • nicklouse
    some are.