brake mounts

trebor127
trebor127 Posts: 246
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Maybe a daft question but I have just ordered some xt brakes to replace my avids as I am trying to move over to shimano but just wondered if the caliper mounts from the avid elixir 5's will fit the shimano xt's or will I need new mounts?

Rob :oops:

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes they will.

well lets rephrase that. there is a good chance that they will but there are some XT calipers that will not fit as they are not post mount. for the post mounts some times a file is required on the mount.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • trebor127
    It was more of a question for the rear which my frame is IS mount. I ordered a pair and ordered them both as post mount :oops: but they have been dispatched so unable to amend so hopefully the avid IS mount will fit on the rear...obviously the disc size will be the same.
  • trebor127
    nicklouse wrote:
    yes they will.

well lets rephrase that. there is a good chance that they will but there are some XT calipers that will not fit as they are not post mount. for the post mounts some times a file is required on the mount.

Oh just another one, will I still be able to mount the xt brakes with my x9 shifters until I replace it to shimano?