Shimano Dual Control Levers

addivllangirb
addivllangirb Posts: 322
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

Considering replacing the brakes (Hayes Stroker Carbons) and shifters (Shimano LX) on my Marin Eldridge grade with a set of Shimano XT dual control levers and brakes, I have ridden with dual controls before and am happy with them.

Currently CRC have the M775s on sale, does anybody know if there is a new version available/coming that fit with the 'new' XT groupset? I have had a hunt on the shimano site, and various other places online and can't find any reference to them one way or the other.

Many Thanks

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I think S they may have given up on them?

If you like them can't fault the value of those XTs - they will suit a 9 spd set-up.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    edited August 2011
    there is no new as they did not sell as they are like Marmite. except most people like Marmite.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    But if you like Marmite, then those are great VFM.
  • Hmmm

Ok, thanks for that looks like CRC will be getting moneys then!
  • nicklouse
    have you tried any?

if not then do not bother. I have only met one or two people that actually like them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Ridden using them in Switzerland a few times on demo/hire bikes and really liked the concept and execution. Didn't have problems with accidental shifting and this was on a reversed set up to the UK norm. So thought i'd go for it.
  • tom_howard
    tom_howard Posts: 789
    I F'ing hate marmite, and I never got on with dual control either! but if the hat fits...
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • Tom Howard wrote:
    I F'ing love marmite, and I always got on with dual control! but if the hat fits...

Fixed :lol:
  • tom_howard
    tom_howard Posts: 789
    You with your vicious lies!
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • I know there very marmite, but for me they work and at the end of the day what else matters
  • nicklouse
    as long as you know what you are getting.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Dual control = Marmite = grip (twist) shifters really, if you like it, great, if you don't, it's pants!

I love grip shifts on my commuter, neatens and declutters bars, lighter, but not for my MTB thanks!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Im new to Disk Brakes and will be building a new bike with this setup, so i just got for cheap new Shimano LX Shifter & Hydraulic Disc Brake Lever Set... would it work with Hayes Stroker Ryde Caliper or i have to go with only Shimano like Shimano SLX M675 Caliper? i dont need $$$ type Calipers so if you know some thing else then please tell me and then the stupid Q (like i said no clue about these systems) why wouldnt a hydraulic lever work with a Mechanical Caliper?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Because one uses fluid to activate the brake, the other a cable.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You need Shimano callipers to work with Shimano levers.

The cable dual control levers will work with cable callipers of any brand.

I like Dual Control levers (and Grip Shift)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    njee20 wrote:
    I like Dual Control levers (and Grip Shift)
    I too have both, the Shimano ST unit's do only work properly with rapid rise rear mechs though.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.