Cycling with a bun in the oven

SpaceBadger
SpaceBadger Posts: 113
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
Well, I am up the duff :D :shock: . I'm only 14 weeks at the mo, so there's no bumpage but I don't think it'll be too long before I'll be all about the elasticated waistband!

What are people's thoughts about women cycling while pregnant?

The advice I've read (on sites like NHS etc) has said to avoid activities such as cycling while pregnant due to the 'risk of falling' - but, taking into consideration that your balance changes over the pregnancy and that I might have to monitor this a bit, I don't see that as a valid reason to stop. Cycling charities etc say there's no problem as long as you don't go all out (not easy for me!) and are careful not to overheat etc.

My OH is mildly concerned but trusts me to keep myself safe and to stop when it becomes unfeasible. My colleagues are all aghast that I am still cycling, thinking that I should be wrapping myself in cotton wool etc. But I'm pretty sure that on the continent it's perfectly normal to see cyclists pedalling away with a baby bump.

Blokes - how would/did you feel about your Mrs cycling while preggers?
"I think the phrase rhymes with Clucking Bell"

FCN = 4

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Mate of mine was 17 weeks pregnant when she did a sprint triathlon with me; she hadn't told anyone.

I don't have a problem with it. however, I would avoid it between weeks 14 and 16 since these are the times when 'issues' are most likely to occur. it's why osteos and the like won't treat you during these week; not because what they do will hurt you, but because statistically problems can arise and they don;t want to be blamed.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    my missus cycled up to about 6 months.

The Guardian did a piece on it last year

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/g ... ncy-london
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,377
    edited August 2011
    Can't see it being a problem to start with, but is going to get more and more difficult, especially by the last trimester.

belated edit for bad manners: congratulations by the way.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • asprilla
    Oh, I forgot to say congratulations. Sorry, my manners are failing.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • A friend of mine many years ago rode up to 7 months when her husband took the bike off her.

Be careful about your heart rate and blood pressure and there is no reason why you can't ride around.

Doctors will always err on the side of extreme caution but you should talk to yours rather than listen to us
  • Thanks Asprilla :)

I appreciate that there will come a time when it might not be feasible (i.e. third trimester) but I am wondering about people's thoughts about it more generally I guess.

Rule74Please - Don't worry, I am not using you guys instead of actual medical advice! I have spoken to Doctors and midwives about it and provided I am careful with my heart rate, temperature and water intake, then I am satisfied that I am not putting myself or the little 'un through undue risk. And in fact, I think it's beneficial.

However, the reaction of other people has been quite split and some people are really quite astounded that I am still cycling. Partly asked as I was wondering if cycling folk's opinions differed from the 'general public'.

FCN = 4
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Congratulations SB.

I'm all for active women continuing for as long as possible, taking into consideration medical advice and their own feelings.

Best wishes.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Congrats on the bambino!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Congratulations, Spacebadger.

I would be very careful cycling in pregnancy, from about the middle of the first trimester your pubic bones start to separate a little, the ligaments which hold them together loosen to let the baby out. If these bones go out of alignment, it's incredibly painful and debilitating. The problem being that this is that's exactly where your saddle goes.
  • First of all, congratulations!

I've wondered about this. My sister immediately stopped cycling to work when she got pregnant on the grounds that although the risk of falling was very small, she'd not forgive herself if something happened to the baby if she were to fall. She felt that another friend, who cycled up until D day (I recall her bump resting on the top bar of her race bike), was running too many risks.

I'm not sure what I'd do. I know that keeping fit is recommended but I have far too many scary moments on my commute that I am not sure I would cycle in London traffic. I think I would do Richmond park / forest / tow path rides but leave the South Circular to others.
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    A more upright bike, trike or a recumbent is what I would use if I was a lady expecting.
  • Congrats....

I have one pregnant friend who has stopped commuting but still does weekend rides in Richmond Park etc. Again, because although she's rarely had an 'off' while commuting, she couldn't forgive herself if something were to happen.

I've had a few friends who have kept exercising much to the horror of other pals - one was doing spin classes up to 8 months when she finally felt a little too ungainly trying to clamber on/off the bike. Both she, and another gym buddy I have who kept going to Pump classes, said that they felt they had relatively easy deliveries compared to some of their other NCT pals.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    gilesjuk wrote:
    A more upright bike, trike or a recumbent is what I would use if I was a lady expecting.

A 'bent would be perfect - have a little catchers mitt ready 'tween your legs in case of bad timing :wink:

Just be sure that if you're cycling uphill and a colleague is encouraging you with "Push! Push!" you don't get confused.

(congrats btw - Kieran is a great name if it's a boy and Kiera is just as good if it's a girl)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited August 2011
    1). Congratulations

2). Every pregnancy is different, even for the same person going through a second pregnancy it'll be different from the first. So the symptoms of the pregnancy will be different and some may hinder you from riding a bike comfortably - but no one can say for certain.

3). There hasn't been a trimester in 'our pregnancy' thus far where I think cycling would be a viable/practical option for Ms DDD.

4). As for how I would feel about her cycling... I don't even like the idea of Mrs DDD wearing heels. Cycling, you are having a laugh. No, no way, nope, NO!

Wot I learned Each trimester is a different beasts. There are common symptoms that the majroity get, common symptoms that could occur depending on the individual and then there are symptoms that are specific to the individual.

Wot I found People will always have opinions about how you should conduct yourself during pregnancy (I'm sure this extends to parenting as well). It's part of the reason why I've tried to keep my post 'Mrs DDD and I' specific. For example Mrs DDD won't drink or smoke since we found out (the other stuff I've previously spoken about is still a bit of an issuie). Some of our friends are aghast insisting that it won't hurt the baby. This I think is selfish (i) it's not there's (ii) if something were to go wrong it's not them that won't be forgiving themselves.

And the latter is the thing that matters the most I've found. There are reasonable risks where the outcome is largely in your control and risks that are out of your control beyond decideing to take the risk itslef. I guess in regards to cycling ultimately it's a decision for you and your partner.

But each pregnancy is different so it's hard to say.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Congratulations! A lady in our club cycled up to about 8.5 months, though that was a touch excessive in my opinion. Cycling is much easier than running as its no/low impact so you won't be bouncing several pounds of baby/fluid/womb around. However, you'll find that you'll get out of breath more easily which will impact what you can do.

Ultimately I think its down to your preference. Safety first though!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • I asked my wife to stop Jogging when we found out she was expecting. She had recently tripped over a tree root and needed 4 stitches in her chin and if that happened again when duffed I would find it hard to accept. The time soon passes and then you can all go out for a family cycle.
    P.S Congrats and good luck
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Congratulations.

A friend of mine cycled up to the day before sprogging. It was just how she got around.
    I think you're probably the best judge; I genuinely believe most mothers have much better ideas about what's going on in their bodies and with their kids than just about anyone, fathers included. (Caveat, caveat, clause, exception, exception. It's just a generalization, ok, this is the internet)

If you feel comfortable and safe, go for it.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Congrats

Friend of mine cycled up until six months pregnant and then had to stop because it just became uncomfortable for her. Once the baby was born she was back on the bike within a week :shock:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • zenistar
    zenistar Posts: 75
    First up congratulations :)

My wife is pregnant at the moment also, just past 6 months, and was just recommended not to cycle. To begin with i can't see any issue but certainly at the point she is now, and perhaps for the last 6 weeks or so, there is no way she could really cope with it.

I have also not fixed her bike since the beginning of her pregnancy, so she has had no real opportunity anyway.

Some of the books I've read say not to - falling risk, others mention the change in center of gravity, but the key thing seems to be - if you are already cycling and being on a bike is not out of the norm - carry on while you feel comfortable, just don't over do it.
    2012 Brompton S6L
    2011 Canyon Nerve XC 9.0
    2001 Specialized Allez
    1998 Specialized Rockhopper FS - still going strong!
  • Thanks for all the congrats guys :D

Thanks for the replies too, it's interesting to hear how other people have approached this and to get some different opinions. Obviously I would not be able to live with myself if something happened, but I have a fairly inocuous commute (certainly compared to others on here) and I have satisfied my own concerns that the risks are outweighed by the health benefits of maintaining my 30 mins a day cycling. I am definitely taking it more easily now (getting out of breath more easily too) and taking each day as it comes as I know there will be a time when it's no longer comfortable/feasible but until then I think it is doing me good and stopping me piling on the pounds excessively!

Crikey NGale - a week?! :shock: Surely things are still, er sore at that point?! Kudos to your friend!

FCN = 4
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Keep us posted on the cycling when preggers and the baby news.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Thanks for all the congrats guys :D

Thanks for the replies too, it's interesting to hear how other people have approached this and to get some different opinions. Obviously I would not be able to live with myself if something happened, but I have a fairly inocuous commute (certainly compared to others on here) and I have satisfied my own concerns that the risks are outweighed by the health benefits of maintaining my 30 mins a day cycling. I am definitely taking it more easily now (getting out of breath more easily too) and taking each day as it comes as I know there will be a time when it's no longer comfortable/feasible but until then I think it is doing me good and stopping me piling on the pounds excessively!

Crikey NGale - a week?! :shock: Surely things are still, er sore at that point?! Kudos to your friend!

That's what I thought! she just wanted to get her fitness back up and get rid of the belly. Me I would take advantage of having bed rest :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • jfw
    jfw Posts: 41
    Hiya I'm 31 weeks pregnant (so 7 months) and still cycling to work (only about 3 miles each way - but a big hill on the way home).

With respect to pelvic issues mentioned - I incurred some pelvic problems (known as SPD symphis pubic disfunction, or PGP pelvic girdle pain) from some over enthusiastic running at 14 weeks.

I don't find cycling an issue at all with respect to the pelvis - in fact I find cycling easier than walking. My commute is in traffic and I do ride a bit more conservatively (less overtaking etc) and just come back home in my lowest gears. Haven't changed bike yet - though my commuting hack has bar top brake leavers as wel as hoods being a cross bike, so does enable me to sit more upright if I feel like it).

Your energy will wax and wane through pregnancy depending what your bodies doing and what other stuff you do. I was pretty wiped in the first trimester - then had an energy resurgence in the middle one - now in the final one starting to get a bit bigger again - as well as sleeping less well.

As an overview weekly milages for me over the last 10 weeks have been

20 weeks - 32
    21 weeks -39
    22 weeks - 50
    23 weeks - 22
    24 weeks - 57
    25 weeks - 40
    26 weeks - 32
    27 weeks - 26
    28 weeks - 54
    29 weeks - 47
    30 weeks - 14

With drop off in last week corresponding to onset of minging weather and invcreased laziness :)

I haven't had any balance issues with respect to bump, my bump is quite high at the moment so i might have the riding position issue (of kneeing myself in the bump) more when it drops down a bit.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    My lady carried on until it was inpractical due to her size.
    I firmly believe that keeping fit is very important when it comes to a long labour.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Congrats!

My wife used pregnancy as an excuse to get out of doing L2B! :wink:

Seriously though:
    1) It's always better to be fit when pregnant, than not - just listen to your body and don't overdo it.
    2) Only you will know when it gets too difficult/ungainly.
    3) Only you can make the risk/benefit judgement based on your skill/confidence and the type of cycling you do - if anyone else preaches to you tell them to eff off!

Errrr so in effect i've just told you it's up to you! I'm not very helpful am I? :oops:
  • asprilla
    jfw wrote:
    With respect to pelvic issues mentioned - I incurred some pelvic problems (known as SPD symphis pubic disfunction, or PGP pelvic girdle pain) from some over enthusiastic running at 14 weeks.

This can persist. It was over 9 months after the birth of our first that Mrs A could actually run again thanks to SPD.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Congratulations. I think you should keep going for as long as you feel comfortable. Ignore the doom and gloom types they'll tell anyone not to cycle.
    Do watch the pelvis thing, my wife had real trouble with this after our daughter was born, although nothing to do with cycling or other forms of exercise.
    Good luck with everything.
  • Well player SpaceBadger and Mr SpaceBadger.

I think you should stop cycling immediately. It is bad enough being overtaken by a burd, let alone a burd with an obvious baby bump. :)

AFAIK pregnancy is not an illness and provided you are sensible there isn't much to stop you carrying on pretty much as normal.

Mrs WBW has an active job in nursing and is on her feet all day. She worked normally until three weeks before the due date of our first. The baby however decided to come early and 4 hours after signing off her last planned shift we were back at the hospital for the birth! Talk about maximising your maternity leave. No ill-effects to mother or child btw.

In answer to your original question, as the Dad I'd be getting nervous about you riding a bike on the road past 6 months. Might not be logical but you asked....
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem