120mm forks on a Giant XTC

supertwisted
supertwisted Posts: 565
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Only hypothetical as I'm quite happy with mine the way it is, but wondering if anyone has used longer forks on an XTC?

I'm assuming an extra inch is well within the tolerance of the frame, but wondering how it's racey stance will take to a slightly higher front end.
Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.

Comments

• I put a 100 mm fork on a Boulder and gained 20mm. This could be largely taken out by removing spacers but the slacker steering angle makes the bike feel slightly more relaxed and stable in a straight line.
    100% ME!
    Do you think I would be this bad on drugs?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I have a bike that is great with 100mm but crap with 120mm (it is a U turn fork).

as well as slackening the head angle by 1 degree you also slacken the seat post angle and move your weight backwards. which effects climbing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Seat tube angle on an XTC is 73 degrees, so I'm guessing a degree slacker wouldn't be too bad.

The reason I ask is I saw some loon running 140mm Floats on an XTC and he claimed it handled fine (though he's still quite quite mad in my book), but it made me wonder how well it would work with a more modest and sensible increase in front travel.
    Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.
  • I agree with nicklouse - the bike was better balanced with the original forks - Giant do know how to get the geometry right. Don't be deceived into thinking that a 1 degree change in angle is insignificant. I kept the new forks on because the original Suntour ones were so crap - just springs and no damping.
    100% ME!
    Do you think I would be this bad on drugs?