Recommend me a CX wheels that accept discs?

gb155
gb155 Posts: 2,048
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
Rear cx wheel that will accept a disk brake rotor

Budget is £70
On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
Now the hard work starts.

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    You should get a
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Mr Sharky
    Mr Sharky Posts: 172
    ^ Is that one of those new fangled invisible wheels? :wink:
    Hairy-legged roadie ( FCN 4 )
    Occasional fixed ( FCN 6 )
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    one of these

with one of these

images.jpg
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hmm I'd suggest the step up to the M525 rear hub, it only costs about £4 more but is enough better to warrant that small extra outlay.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mudcow007
    Hmm I'd suggest the step up to the M525 rear hub
    Simon

good shout actually, arnt they sealed better?
  • mudcow007 wrote:
    Hmm I'd suggest the step up to the M525 rear hub
    Simon

good shout actually, arnt they sealed better?

And only £21 from CRC. :)
  • dhope wrote:
    You should get a

:lol:

Pet peeve: people who don't allude to their topic in the title.

OP: would it really have been so difficult to write "CX wheels that accept discs?" as the title, thus stopping those of us who have no effing idea from clicking on the thread?

PS. I have no effing idea!
  • gb155
    dhope wrote:
    You should get a

:lol:

Pet peeve: people who don't allude to their topic in the title.

OP: would it really have been so difficult to write "CX wheels that accept discs?" as the title, thus stopping those of us who have no effing idea from clicking on the thread?

PS. I have no effing idea!

Done :)

• Good man!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Take a look at the Genesis Croix de Fer - that has discs with Deore hubs and Alex rims
  • gb155
    Take a look at the Genesis Croix de Fer - that has discs with Deore hubs and Alex rims

Doesnt seem they sell the wheels from it tho

Is a viable option to take the current wheel to a LBS and get it rebuild with a Disk Hub?

IF so, what sort of $$$'s would it cost

Thanks

• mudcow007
    gb155 wrote:

Is a viable option to take the current wheel to a LBS and get it rebuild with a Disk Hub?

Thanks

my LBS charge £40 per wheel build

but i think generally prices go from £25 upwards, just check the price includes spokes an nipples

what condition is your rim in?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have a look at some XC 29er MTB wheels.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    What do you use it for? My Boardman CX came with Ritchey Pro OCR rims in a 700c with discs. They seem OK though yet to ride on them - will do tomorrow. I doubt I'm going to use them for CX per-se - winter commuting with ice tyres was why I got them with the added reassurance of disc brakes for the wet weather. I could possibly get away with lighter rim. I don't know what impact of the spokes having discs makes. Clearly you don't need a braking surface on the rim itself though.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • What do you use it for? My Boardman CX came with Ritchey Pro OCR rims in a 700c with discs. They seem OK though yet to ride on them - will do tomorrow. I doubt I'm going to use them for CX per-se - winter commuting with ice tyres was why I got them with the added reassurance of disc brakes for the wet weather. I could possibly get away with lighter rim. I don't know what impact of the spokes having discs makes. Clearly you don't need a braking surface on the rim itself though.

Ah another CX owner!

Think I was unlucky, I broke a spoke after 5 weeks (1000 miles) of ownership. Got it fixed en-route, now have one silver spoke amongst the black ones.

Would be interesting to hear how you get on with the CX, might PM to save boring everyone else!
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Ah another CX owner!

Think I was unlucky, I broke a spoke after 5 weeks (1000 miles) of ownership. Got it fixed en-route, now have one silver spoke amongst the black ones.

Would be interesting to hear how you get on with the CX, might PM to save boring everyone else!

Yes - of course - it's ready to go and I nearly rode it in this morning. But sense prevailed - I've not ridden it a yard yet but it was assembled by a Halfords tech and I was going to start with a 30-mile RT commute - what was I thinking? The pre-delivery "safety check" left the gear levers fouling the bars on braking!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Jason82
    Jason82 Posts: 142
    I have the boardman CX and have commuted for about two months I think. It's quicker than my rockhopper fs. I am thinking of chucking some slicks on mine so I can beat My current commuting times.
    Missing a Boardman cx team
    FCN = 9
  • Perhaps we should start new threads titled with bike models so that owners could discuss and potential new owners could review. Just a thought.

Sorry to hijack the OP's thread!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • gb155
    mudcow007 wrote:
    gb155 wrote:

Thanks

my LBS charge £40 per wheel build

but i think generally prices go from £25 upwards, just check the price includes spokes an nipples

what condition is your rim in?

Rims are brand new

• gb155
    nicklouse wrote:
    have a look at some XC 29er MTB wheels.

Thanks

• gb155
    nicklouse wrote:

Thanks Nick

• Think I was unlucky, I broke a spoke after 5 weeks (1000 miles) of ownership. Got it fixed en-route, now have one silver spoke amongst the black ones.
    !

And low and behold, another rear spoke went this morning. No pothole, smooth uphill stretch and TWANG!

Have phoned the local (Basildon) Halfords (it's a Boardman) and asked them to fix it today so that I can get home easier. The mechanic is supposed to be phoning me back at 11.30 when he arrives. I'll let them replace the spoke this time but if one goes again I will be wanting a replacement wheel as this one could well have spokes made of cheese. And it the new wheel starts doing it I will be after a full rebiuld with decent spokes, not letting this issue go.

It's just a pain in the ass when things break 15 miles from home.
  • jonnyboy77
    jonnyboy77 Posts: 547
    Are these any good? £90 for the pair

WPM1250525_P1.jpg

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/WPM1250525/ ... r-wheelset

Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    I've looked at this dilemna and consider un machined Velocity rims as they look much better, no good getting some disk specific hoops made if they look like bog standard wheels with disc hubs on. also the rims are lighter than a set of open pro's or CPX's.

Most disk specific MTB/Touring rims will only accept 28c tyres or bigger as a minimum.

G