Rock Shox Reverb Dropper Post - Slow Action

Alan P
Alan P Posts: 127
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I've had a Reverb seatpost for a few months now and it's been great. However, the action has gone very slow just lately, to the point where even on the fastest setting, the post is very slow to return and only works on the very last bit of the remote button.

Does this just need bleeding (which looks a bit of a phaff) or is there another problem? Also, do I bleed it only at the remote or at the seat post as well?

Ta for any advice
Ibis Mojo HDR (2014)
Canyon Grand Canyon AL29 (2013)

Comments

• will need bleeding mate, not sure on the procedure but Sram's website will no doubt have a guide
  • HandjobDan
    HandjobDan Posts: 704
    Did you bleed the post when you got it?

SRAM say it needs bleeding after installation. Doesn't look much different to bleeding a brake system.
  • Alan P
    Thanks guys

No, I didn't think I had to bleed it when I put it on the bike. I read the booklet through, but it doesn't mention bleeding it after installation.....is this something you read on their website?
    Ibis Mojo HDR (2014)
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Did you get a bleed kit with the Reverb?

Bleeding is pretty easy, just make sure you follow the instructions, if you bleed it with the rebound speed adjuster in the wrong position, it practically won't move at all.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Alan P
    Yes, I got the bleed kit (couple of syringes and some oil), but no instructions. I've downloaded from the website now and will follow them, but is that all there is about it?
    Ibis Mojo HDR (2014)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Or you may have over tightened the seat post clamp?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • HandjobDan
    Or have your speed adjust too slow?

But the system needs a bleed pre-installation. SRAMs recommendation but not included in the instructions it's well documented on the forums as an oversight from them.
  • Matt 24k
    Matt 24k Posts: 186
    Watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsRlj_JJ8t0
    Tells you exactly what to do in a patronising American female voice. One extra tip is to tighten the flexible plastic tube with cable ties on the syringe and brass fitting. Mine allowed air in between the tube and fitting when I angled the syringe correctly.
  • as said above try bleeding it. apparently the earlier models used a different kind of hose that reacted (very slowly) with the oil and created very small air bubles over time. it could be that you have one of these older posts and so air is forming in the hose. quite a few people have managed to get Rockshox/their distributors to send them a different replacement hose to sort the problem out so you might also be able to get one.

But the system needs a bleed pre-installation. SRAMs recommendation but not included in the instructions it's well documented on the forums as an oversight from them.

my new reverb arrived yesterday and works flawless out the box, my mate had one arrive a few months ago and his also arrived fully working. i think it was just the older models (with the hose problem) that needed bleeding because air was forming in the hose.
  • HandjobDan
    Fair enough, I wasn't aware there had been a change in hose material and that was the intitial problem. They don't specify what hose they're using and I don't suppose they'd want to make a big deal about changing it over for a better one as that would mean as you say Warranty claims from original owners.
  • Alan P
    Thanks guys, I'll bleed it and hopefully that'll do the trick. It has been working fine for a few months now, but gradually has got slow to the point where it's not much use.
    Ibis Mojo HDR (2014)