City cycling

mitb
mitb Posts: 78
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
I have posted around this before but looks like I will be commuting into London now. So Yay, i have a job, Boooo I can't ride to work anymore. On the upside I do intend to remove myself from the mercy of TfL by riding from Paddington to work (guess I will get a folder but should be able to do it on a proper bike for a little while before I commit with early trains or reservations).

Does anyone currently do Paddington to Houndsditch (general City ie near the Gherkin would be fine) and could let me know their specific route please? tried to work it out and there's just too many choices! At least to start with, the less intimidating the better! thank you

Comments

• chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    Why can't you cycle? How far are you coming from?
  • mitb
    That's a good point. I start off in Reading, which is quite far. I could imagine maybe coming home all the way by bike some sunny Friday evening, but wouldn't the journey be fairly horrendous, at least t ostart?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,633
    What about something like this. You even get to join in the embankment fun!

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5006438

The Mall is also quite a good sprint.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Reading to Shoreditch - just going by my own standards but I'd say that is TOO FAR TO COMMUTE > maybe just do it 4 days a week?
  • mitb
    Once a week, one way, would be amazing going by my own standards. I am resigned to the train for the Reading to Paddington bit, I just need to nail down the London end. Thanks Pangolin for your route, I didn't realise it was that far. Park Lane looks like it makes it longer, but is it preferable to the alterternatives?
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    edited August 2011
    Reading to central would be a HUGE commute and some people call me odd for doing Ashford/Staines to central!

I'm afraid a Brompton is win win ;)

Why not Reading > Waterloo or does the Paddington train not stop anywhere!?
    pangolin wrote:
    What about something like this. You even get to join in the embankment fun!

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5006438

The Mall is also quite a good sprint.

Very good route!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Reading to some midpoint, cycle the rest?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • clarkey cat
    Park Lane looks like it makes it longer, but is it preferable to the alterternatives?

Yes it is. You don't want to cycle through mayfair, soho, cov garden.
  • mitb
    See, that's what i wouldn't know. Guess i would find out the hard way though. The trains from Reading are either very quick non-stop into Paddington or twice as long stopping at every discarded breeze block along the track into Waterloo. That offers some possibilities but I'll have to commit to a season ticket for one or the other route and Reading to Waterloo is painful if you don't/can't be arsed to break the journey on bike. 1hr10m at best, it feels like you are never going to arrive, there's always another station...plus you can only take folders on that line.

Is Pangolin's the winning route then? I've never seen anything quite a unanimous on a BR forum!
  • pangolin
    mitb wrote:
    Once a week, one way, would be amazing going by my own standards. I am resigned to the train for the Reading to Paddington bit, I just need to nail down the London end. Thanks Pangolin for your route, I didn't realise it was that far. Park Lane looks like it makes it longer, but is it preferable to the alterternatives?

Park Lane does make it a bit longer, but going south a bit to allow you to get onto The Mall and Embankment will make it quicker than through the middle in my experience. Nicer looking too :)

You could of course go through Hyde Park rather than Park Lane, but I think that would be slower. More cyclists, joggers etc.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Reading to Shoreditch - just going by my own standards but I'd say that is TOO FAR TO COMMUTE > maybe just do it 4 days a week?

4 days a week and break it up by running in one day 8)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • clarkey cat
    let's not rule out swimming - Reading is on the Thames after all.
  • pangolin
    Or a pedalo to keep up the training.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • mitb
    I had set aside Tuesdays for rollerblading in.
  • clarkey cat
    someone had to take it too far

:wink:
  • iPete
    mitb wrote:
    See, that's what i wouldn't know. Guess i would find out the hard way though. The trains from Reading are either very quick non-stop into Paddington or twice as long stopping at every discarded breeze block along the track into Waterloo. That offers some possibilities but I'll have to commit to a season ticket for one or the other route and Reading to Waterloo is painful if you don't/can't be arsed to break the journey on bike. 1hr10m at best, it feels like you are never going to arrive, there's always another station...plus you can only take folders on that line.

Is Pangolin's the winning route then? I've never seen anything quite a unanimous on a BR forum!

Serious; no folders on the Paddington line?!

Purchase the bag cover and take it on as hand luggage.

Living on the Waterloo line, I can confirm that would be a very painful journey, especially from Reading!
  • mitb
    Folders are fine on the Paddington, and SIX normal bikes (you are spoiling us etc). Apparently you can reserve them for free in advance but you have to commit to a particular train, and there are so many trains going to Paddington coming thtrough Reading that if there isn't room you can wait 5-10 mins for another one, apparently.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    mitb wrote:
    Folders are fine on the Paddington, and SIX normal bikes (you are spoiling us etc). Apparently you can reserve them for free in advance but you have to commit to a particular train, and there are so many trains going to Paddington coming thtrough Reading that if there isn't room you can wait 5-10 mins for another one, apparently.

I'd be sceptical about relying on the cycle storage to take my bike to London from Reading. I used to commute from Bath to London and had no problem getting a spot for my bike, but by the time the train gets to Reading the bike carriage is usually full. I've seen plenty of folders though.
  • mitb
    From what I can gather you have to be early or late and you're generally ok, at peak peak-times you're stuffed. A bit like with seats really.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    mitb wrote:
    From what I can gather you have to be early or late and you're generally ok, at peak peak-times you're stuffed. A bit like with seats really.

Yep. Also, they don't honor bike reservations unfortunately.
  • mitb
    anyone got any thoughts on how long this would take? Half an hour or so?
  • iPete
    Embankments very fast and open, so I'd say easily half an hour.
  • my route from Paddington is very similar (I go south through Hyde Park, past museums, through Chelsea and join Embankment (or whatever its called at that point) at Albert Bridge, from there, its a nice fast ride to Blackfriars where I leave the race track)

This takes under half an hour (26 mins is pb to date)

I also get on the train at Reading and can confirm that in the summer at least, early or late is the way to go. Other times you can wait for 3 or 4 trains to come and go before finding space....
    Some of the train managers / guards will open up the engine bay where there are an extra 3 bike spaces, but this is fairly unusual.

Course, soon as it gets a little wet and/or dark, there'll be spaces a'plenty :D
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    I do Wokingham to City on Mon AM and Fri PM, and use the Waterloo line.
    It is not that much slower and I always get a seat and a chance to sleep. 5 minutes from home to station, 1h 10m to Waterloo, 15 minutes to Moorgate.
    It also gives me the opportunity to get off earlier if there are any problems on the line.
  • mitb
    I'd be doing it every day, day in, day out...so the Paddington train saves a lot of time over the week. Bit more riding though.