Riding from Bath to Bournemouth

cycle-andy
cycle-andy Posts: 8
Hello everyone, has anyone ever done a ride/event that goes from Bath to Bournemouth? I'm doing the BHF one on 2nd October, just signed up this weekend. Anyone care to share their experience of the ride? It's 80 miles through the countryside all the way down to Bournemouth. Looking forward to it!

Comments

• I'm thinking of doing that I've been cycling for a year now, done 80 miles before so should be able to make that. when does it start? it isn't a nightride is it?
  • No, it's a day ride this one. Where are you from? I'm coming down from Manchester, know people in Bristol so staying over there on the Saturday night and doing it on the Sunday.
  • I've signed up to do this too, really looking forward to it. Only got to travel from Gloucester.
  • coopsman1
    coopsman1 Posts: 337
    If anyone needs a map of the route I can email you one.

Also what are your arrangements for getting back from Bournemouth?
  • The main climbs (100 m+): 1) start -> Odd Down 2) Midford Hill ->Norton St. Phiillip
    3) Motcombe -> Shaftesbury 4&5) Fontmell Magna ->Ashmore (first 14<-> 20%).
    There are also some more "lumpy" bits around Longleat (watch out for lions) and south of Shaftesbury - after Ashmore the run into Bournemouth (30 miles ish) is nice.
  • DN7.com Event Photography will be covering the ride on 2nd Oct.
    As this is very short notice and only one Photographer will be covering the whole event, the idea is to cover the start 8:am - 9:am then rather than head straight to bournemouth i was hoping to stop on route for an hour or so to capture some pictures of riders mid race.
    I would be very gratefull if anyone has any ideas for good on route locations.
    Thanks in advance
    Tony
    Photos of you
    Living life
    As you do
  • coopsman1

just wondering if it would be possible to have a map of the bath to bournemouth bike ride, thanks.

i did take part and would like an electronic version if you would be so kind thanks

you can email it to tombo_v.1@hotmail.com

thanks again.
  • Hi
    Map is on its way to you.
    Hope you had a good day all the feedback says it was a really good route especially through Longleat.
    All the pictures are being uploaded today and tomorrow and will be available from the link on the BHF website or direct at www.DN7.com/eventphotography

Tony
    Photos of you
    Living life
    As you do
  • coopsman1
    coopsman1 Posts: 337
    Was a very interesting day and some great photos
  • Despite the punishing heat it was a great day out, route was fantastic- through some very pretty little villages and hamlets - refreshments stops were just about right and it was great to ride right through the middle of Longleat!

I also found the atmosphere great, lots of very friendly riders sharing encouragement on the hills and at the stops! Also a real mixed bag of riders and bikes, which all contributed to a great day!

Can't wait for next year, this one will defo go on the calendar for me!!