Training Rides in North Wales?

Butterd2
Butterd2 Posts: 937
I'm into preparation for my annual bike tour, this year from Venice to Munich and will be spending next week in North Wales (near Barmouth) with my parents. If anyone is familiar with the area and could recommend some good routes with a bit of climbing I'd be most grateful.
Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols

Comments

• petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    If you're in Barmouth then you can literally ride out in pretty much any direction for some amazing scenery and climbs.

If you want a really tough one then head out towards Dolgellau, then Dinas Mawddwy and then head north up the Bwlch y groes climb. You can come back to Dolgellau on the A494 from Bala lake. It doesn't get much better than this in the UK.

Some of the coast roads can be quite flat but if you head anywhere in land there are some monster climbs.

Enjoy
  • Butterd2
    ^

Thanks Pete, I've only driven over Dinas Mawddwy, that sounds like a great route though, I'll get the mapping tool out.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • campagone
    campagone Posts: 270
    Take the coast road towards Tywyn and head back up the Tal Y Llyn pass, thats a nice climb then head back to base or for a long day in the saddle you can attempt the Bwlch from ther as what Pete said.
    Alternatively head towards Trawsfynydd, turn off at Ganllwyd and go through Abergeirw and head over the mountain (long climb that we call the Traws Ranges) to end up by the south end of Bala lake, you'll have to ride back in traffic on the main road to Barmouth, but there are some nice detours through Brithdir or Llanfachreth on the way. Youll find these places on google maps.
  • Butterd2
    Thanks for the responses guys. I have a couple of great rides, 1 a loop around Cadir Idris and the 2nd over Dinas Maddwy then Hellfire pass (now that was tough!)

You've got some fantastic roads up there.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols