£1 MucOff equivalent

TOMathon
TOMathon Posts: 20
edited October 2016 in MTB general
Without wanting this to dissolve into a discussion about the relative pros and cons of mucoff bike cleaner, I just thought I'd let you all know that there's litre bottles of a very similar looking pink 'no more dirty bike' in poundland.

I've not used it yet, but I'm sure the price will cover up many discrepancies. Hell, for a pound, it's a decent value trigger spray.

Comments

• santahul
    santahul Posts: 91
    Worth a try. I've never been that impressed with mucoff anyway. Asda do a big cheap bottle too but I've not tried it yet.
  • UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 227
    Water to get all the loose stuff off, and then Pampers baby wipes to get it in clean and shiney, cheaper than Muc off Wipes!
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I've never seen the point of mucoff, what's wrong with a hose and a sponge?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • geebee2
    geebee2 Posts: 248
    I do use it (Mucoff), but what I do is fill a whole spray bottle with hot water, then just put a couple of squirts of mucoff in.

Seems to work pretty well when diluted like this, and a bottle then lasts a long time.
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    Mucoff is a degreaser?

Water ain't going to get any oily mess off the bike. But in many cases that's a good thing if the oil and grease is where you want it.

Never had any problems using car shampoo. I've even used washing up liquid, although I was told it has salt in it (not good for steel).
  • johnsav
    johnsav Posts: 775
    for a quick wash i use car shampoo too.

if im doing a full on clean i take all the drivetrain off and degrease it seperate to the bike. then clean and wax the frame on its own.

never really bothered with sprays like mukoff, waste of money in my opinion!
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    johnsav wrote:
    for a quick wash i use car shampoo too.

if im doing a full on clean i take all the drivetrain off and degrease it seperate to the bike. then clean and wax the frame on its own.

never really bothered with sprays like mukoff, waste of money in my opinion!

You wax the frame? OMFG, now I've read it all....

MucOff works as does Sh¡tShifter, but admittedly they charge way too much for both products.
    I do use them though and prefer to buy the bulk 5L bottles and use it to top up the spray bottles.

As for this "equivalent" from PoundLand, has anyone actually tried it?
  • johnsav
    johnsav Posts: 775
    yeah sure, why not :D
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Ill stick to my fenwicks thanks.
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Briggo wrote:
    Ill stick to my fenwicks thanks.

Ah, I forgot about that stuff, great product and IMO Fenwicks hand cleaner absolutely rocks.. and smells like heaven..
  • Tim.s
    Tim.s Posts: 515
    +1 for Fenwicks.

The refill sachets are only a pound so once you have the trigger bottle its just as cheap as whatever they are selling at poundland with the added bonus that you dont need to visit poundland to get it.
    "Didn't hurt"
  • pots74
    pots74 Posts: 62
    I have a much cheaper option for you! :lol:
    It's called a soft brush and a bucket of hot soapy water?! :?
    Car alloy wheel cleaners are fantastic! :D
    I have never been lost but I do admit to being confused for several weeks!

Specialized Enduro Expert EVO 2012
  • Meatfox
    Meatfox Posts: 155
    i ride my bike to the local drive-through carwash after a ride.
    works a treat and gets my clothes washed all in one go
    choice
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    I used a Fenwicks bottle and it lasted years. It recently ran out so I've been using washing-up liquid and notice no difference. Even if it contained salt you are surely rinsing the soap off afterwards anyway and re-applying oil to drive train. As the Fenwicks was £10 and lasted years the economy of using washing up liqiuid was roughly the same.
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    I use a product called 'Elbow Grease'. My mum gets it from Skipton Market and I just nick a bottle from the cupboard when i go over :P
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Tim.s wrote:
    +1 for Fenwicks.

The refill sachets are only a pound so once you have the trigger bottle its just as cheap as whatever they are selling at poundland with the added bonus that you dont need to visit poundland to get it.
    Poundland in Hackney were knocking it out for free last week... :wink:
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • saw that today in Poundland, any one tested? :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Five years, two months and one day.

Good effort but not a record.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Very impressive. Must be close to the record.
  • Despite the negative comments, I quite like mucoff bike cleaner!

I've used car shampoo and also diluted household goods like fairy liquid etc...

I find that mucoff cleans perfectly well BUT the best busting is that it seems to leave a slight coating that offers a sheen and also seems to make the next clean jst tha little bit easier?

I'll be happy to try the poundland version, it's probably just the same stuff in a different bottle minus the associated branding costs!
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Fenwicks F1.
    1ltr bottle is £9.99 and dilultes to make 11ltrs so works out at £0.90 per ltr.
    10p a ltr cheaper than Poundland :wink:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    From the makers of Squirt, 500ml makes 12.5 litres, or so, so around 58p per litre.

http://in2dust.co.uk/product/bio-bike-5 ... ncentrate/

Best deal, some Squirt, a bottle of ready mixed stuff, and a bottle of concentrate. (It's not 2 bottles of concentrate - their web guy must work for On One as well, and is slightly brain damaged.)

http://in2dust.co.uk/product/bio-bike-c ... uirt-lube/
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I bought some of the Poundland stuff - it works OK on the bike, and is also quite good for the wheels on my car.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • loudog
    loudog Posts: 136
    Muck off- great
    no more dirty bike - great

to be honest if its pink and you say its for cleaning bikes then hell, I believe you.

If you put a bike cleaner out there you'd have to be pretty ballsy if you knew it was shite! Its just pink soapy water.

Nod 'ard!
    It matters not, win or lose, it's how you ride the bike
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    The pound land stuff is just pink water as far as I could tell, no perceptible difference between that & water in terms of magical cleansing properties - save yourself a pound, its pretty wanky IMO
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • doomanic
    doomanic Posts: 238
    MucOff is 3 for 2 at Hellfrauds at the moment and price-matched if you reserve through the website.