Red White & Black - Giant XTC 2011

supertwisted
supertwisted Posts: 565
edited August 2011 in Your mountain bikes
My latest purchase, time for a bit of XC speed. Still shiny new and smelling like bike shops.

All standard bar the SLX cranks, SDG Ti saddle and HG80 cassette as I had them spare ready to go on.

6043575936_43cd84c637_z.jpg
DSCF2810 by twistednematic, on Flickr

6043026817_1890fee715_z.jpg
DSCF2808 by twistednematic, on Flickr

6043578838_288e6091f4_z.jpg
DSCF2812 by twistednematic, on Flickr

6043030599_a98cbdfc50_z.jpg
DSCF2811 by twistednematic, on Flickr

Spec (for those who care):
Frame 18" AluxX SL aluminium, Fluid FormedTM
Fork RockShox Recon Silver TK Solo Air, aluminium steerer, 100mm travel
Bars Giant Connect low riser
Stem Giant Connect
Seatpost Giant Connect
Saddle SDG Bel Air Ti
Pedals Wellgo V8 Copies
Shifters Shimano SLX 27 speed
Front M Shimano Deore
Rear M Shimano XT Shadow
Brakes Shimano 445 hydraulic discs 160mm rotors
Cassette Shimano HG80 11-34
Chain Shimano HG73
Crankset Shimano SLX 22/32/44
BBracket Shimano Integrated Press Fit
Rims Giant S-XC2 DW aluminium
Hubs Shimano M525 rear, Giant Tracker front
Spokes Stainless Steel
Tires Maxxis Crossmark 26x2.1"
Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.

Comments

• Minor detour on way home from work:

6077411685_e522742a7d.jpg
    IMAG0058 by twistednematic, on Flickr

Really impressed by how quick this is. If I'm honest I imagine a lot of that is due to the Crossmarks, but none the less this bike covers ground with very little effort.

(I realise it's a bit sad to reply to your own empty thread, but being married I'm well used to talking to myself).
  • My thread only has 2/3 replies, so I'll be your friend lol.

I guess there's not much Giant love on bikeradar. I think they're all into Halfords bikes. :lol: Also, is that a white rotor on the back?
    Big guy; small air!

I guess there's not much Giant love on bikeradar. I think they're all into Halfords bikes. :lol: Also, is that a white rotor on the back?

Hurrah! :lol:

Probably not the "coolest" brand, but they make damn fine bikes for not a lot of money.

Nope, standard rotor but I think the light caught it in that pic.
  • Yeah, they don't really make swoopy show-offy frames, but they're strong and pretty light. Also the spec you get is pretty good for how much you pay.
    Big guy; small air!
  • Jrandell
    Jrandell Posts: 20
    Thats one sexy bike! :wink:
    Boardman Team Carbon 2010
  • chrisjnr19
    chrisjnr19 Posts: 231
    That is very tidy mate! :D... I'm a big fan of the Black, Red,White colour scheme as you can see ;)
  • Jrandell wrote:
    Thankyou...
    chrisjnr19 wrote:
    That is very tidy mate! Very Happy... I'm a big fan of the Black, Red,White colour scheme as you can see Wink
    ...and thank you.

I'm actually planning to tone it down a bit and lose the white cable outers for black as I'm not sure I like them.

On the performance front, I'm planning to order some XT/717 wheels to loose a bit of rolling weight.

Ultimately I'd like a black Reba to replace the Recon for an overall more stealthy look whilst losing a bit more weight.

Then it will probably be done.
  • woodytitan
    woodytitan Posts: 163
    A good looking bike mate, i think the lack of replies is because the bike speaks for itself, Smart!
    '11 Cannondale Trail SL3
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    My thread only has 2/3 replies, so I'll be your friend lol.

Probably not the "coolest" brand, but they make damn fine bikes for not a lot of money.

I love the look of Giant bikes.I have just got a Defy road bike to go with my XTC but I have to disagree,they aren`t the bargain they used to be.Well not if you pay rrp.......
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • My Cannondale thread attracted a similar lack of interest!

Great looking bike, I bet you look back at it everytime you walk away, I know I still do :wink:
    2011 Cannondale Trail SL 29er HERE
  • The Spiderman
    Jrandell wrote:
    Thankyou...
    chrisjnr19 wrote:
    That is very tidy mate! Very Happy... I'm a big fan of the Black, Red,White colour scheme as you can see Wink
    ...and thank you.

I'm actually planning to tone it down a bit and lose the white cable outers for black as I'm not sure I like them.

On the performance front, I'm planning to order some XT/717 wheels to loose a bit of rolling weight.

Ultimately I'd like a black Reba to replace the Recon for an overall more stealthy look whilst losing a bit more weight.

Then it will probably be done.

I have both XT/717s and a Reba on my XTC.The wheels didn`t make that much difference I only saved about 100g or so over the Deore 317 set that it came with.I was lucky and got mine for £90 secondhand and sold the originals for £60 so it was only £30 to upgrade but nowadays I`d look at something like Shimano MT65S or Hope Hoops if you want to make a significant difference.

Rebas are a bit lighter and benefit from dual air but again I doubt you will notice much difference. Great forks but if you want to save weight save a bit more and get SIDS.

Lovely looking bike. 8)
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4

I love the look of Giant bikes.I have just got a Defy road bike to go with my XTC but I have to disagree,they aren`t the bargain they used to be.Well not if you pay rrp.......

Actually yes you are right, at RRP i suppose they are a bit pricey these days,, but come the end of season discounts they start to make sense. This was a Pauls Cycles special. :)

Your Defy is quite splendid by the way, I have an old SCR 3 and while not as nice to look at as the Defy's it's a cracking ride.
  • The Spiderman
    Ah yes,Pauls cycles always good for Giant bike bargains!

I`m currently trying to resist buying another MTB to replace the XTC.Having ridden a friend`s 29er a Giant XTC 29er is quite tempting and I`ve noticed they`ve got them for around £1250 but I`ve only just got the Defy...............

That bike was the bargain of the centlury,got it secondhand off ebay for £820 6 months old,in as new condtion,full rrp was £1750. :)

BTW if you want to save a bit of weight off the wheels cheaply I`m sure I`ve read those newer Giant rims convert easily to tubeless.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • arian37
    arian37 Posts: 77
    Nice bike mate.

I've owned a few Giants over the years and I've loved every one. I think they are the bike equivalent of owning a Saab - they aren't quite BMW's or Mercs but somehow make you smile every time you get behind the wheel :D

How you finding the Recons? I've got the 120mm version on my Spec Camber and they seem to do the business ok. I haven't 'noticed' them that much which must mean they are doing their job just fine.

Spiderman - I share your sentiments - I too am tempted by the XTC 29er at the reduced price :)
  • I like the idea of 29ers, but I'm only avg height with short legs so I'm not sure I'm built for them. Would like a go on one though.

£820 - Christ I'd have snapped that up if I'd seen it! eBay is always a good bet for nice road bikes, bought by the overtly wealthy on a whim and then left in the garage to gather dust til they sell it.

Yes I read some threads on a US site about ghetto tubeless-ing these and P models. I may give it a whirl, stock they way about 2000g according to some chap and his digital scales so any weight off them will be a plus!

Actually yes you are right, at RRP i suppose they are a bit pricey these days,, but come the end of season discounts they start to make sense. This was a Pauls Cycles special. :)

Your Defy is quite splendid by the way, I have an old SCR 3 and while not as nice to look at as the Defy's it's a cracking ride.
    I managed to get 100 pounds off at my LBS. I was aiming for a bike lower down in the range but the only one in stock was one higher, so I got the money off to suit my budget and I was pretty pleased with that.
    Big guy; small air!
  • Notice you've got Crossmarks on your Talon - how do you find them?

The BR review was fairly scathing but forums posts rate them far better.

I like them as they are so fast rolling, but I do get the feeling they are about to let go at any minute on loose surfaces. Not sure if thats purely psychological from the BR slapping they got!
  • The Spiderman
    I like the idea of 29ers, but I'm only avg height with short legs so I'm not sure I'm built for them. Would like a go on one though.

£820 - Christ I'd have snapped that up if I'd seen it! eBay is always a good bet for nice road bikes, bought by the overtly wealthy on a whim and then left in the garage to gather dust til they sell it.

Yes I read some threads on a US site about ghetto tubeless-ing these and P models. I may give it a whirl, stock they way about 2000g according to some chap and his digital scales so any weight off them will be a plus!

My set of XT with 717s come in at 1940g though so there`s not much in it.However OE tubes are often lardy so I reckon you could lose 200g by going tubless even allowing for generous scoop of latex.

That £820 included a pair of unwarn SPD SL shoes and pedals too. :lol:
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • arian37 wrote:
    Nice bike mate.

I've owned a few Giants over the years and I've loved every one. I think they are the bike equivalent of owning a Saab - they aren't quite BMW's or Mercs but somehow make you smile every time you get behind the wheel :D

How you finding the Recons? I've got the 120mm version on my Spec Camber and they seem to do the business ok. I haven't 'noticed' them that much which must mean they are doing their job just fine.

Spiderman - I share your sentiments - I too am tempted by the XTC 29er at the reduced price :)

TBH I've not really given them much of a work out as its so flat round here! I've always had coil RS froks in the past so wandered if these would lack the small bump plushness of the coils, but I cant tell the difference so far so quite happy with them.
  • Spiderman wrote:

My set of XT with 717s come in at 1940g though so there`s not much in it.However OE tubes are often lardy so I reckon you could lose 200g by going tubless even allowing for generous scoop of latex.

Oh really? I thought they'd be lighter, I may have a rethink in that case.
  • The Spiderman
    Spiderman wrote:

Oh really? I thought they'd be lighter, I may have a rethink in that case.

Mine are from Merlin and have the 6 bolt hubs which come with the older m756 hubs which are a bit lardy.You may be able to go a little lighter if you go for later splined XT hubs but most 6 bolt XT builds come with the XT M756.

717s aren`t that light for skinny rims either.Don`t get me wrong I like handbuilt wheels and this combo for ease of repair and strength but if I was looking for light on budget now I`d look at Shimano MT 65s which are £180 from Merlin ,will take a wider tyre if required,are lighter at 1800g and can be run tubeless.Or spend more and get Hope or Superstar hubs with Stans Crest.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • woodytitan
    woodytitan Posts: 163
    My thread only has 2/3 replies, so I'll be your friend lol.

Also, bought my wife a Giant womens bike and I love the look of the Anthem X3, so not all non Giant lovers!!!
    '11 Cannondale Trail SL3
  • I'm gonna save my cash for now and have a crack at the tubeless setup.

Only thing is it sounds like the Crossmarks will have to go as no-one seems to have any luck getting them to seal.

Anyone care to suggest a nice fast rolling XC tyre that will go tubeless easily?

@woodytitan - Anthems look lovely, and the X5 is only £999 now on Pauls Cycles though I couln't quite justify it to myself.
  • The Spiderman
    I'm gonna save my cash for now and have a crack at the tubeless setup.

Only thing is it sounds like the Crossmarks will have to go as no-one seems to have any luck getting them to seal.

Anyone care to suggest a nice fast rolling XC tyre that will go tubeless easily?

@woodytitan - Anthems look lovely, and the X5 is only £999 now on Pauls Cycles though I couln't quite justify it to myself.

Schwalbe Racing Ralphs,Rocket Rons or maybe Maxxis Aspens.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • Cheers web-slinger, off to see if On One still have them cheap!
  • Notice you've got Crossmarks on your Talon - how do you find them?

The BR review was fairly scathing but forums posts rate them far better.

I like them as they are so fast rolling, but I do get the feeling they are about to let go at any minute on loose surfaces. Not sure if thats purely psychological from the BR slapping they got!
    What I'm really good at is buying stuff then reading the reviews. :lol: But personally I think they're pretty good.

I've only really started upping my speed/skills lately and they are a bit worrying on fairly loose/wet stuff. I think I'll buy them again as they're great for XC, but I'll up the width from 2.1 to 2.35 for the trails.

Hope my mini review helped :D
    Big guy; small air!