improve performance and better fittness

torch1972
torch1972 Posts: 4
edited August 2011 in Commuting general
I cycle 6 days per week even sometimes 7 days a week. I do a 16 mile round commute, it takes me 40 minutes to ride one way. I have been commuting by bike for about year and half but don't seem to be able to improve my commute time and I don't seem to be getting any fitter. i have had good look around the forum and the inetrnet but I can't find any useful tips to improve my ride.

Does anyone have any tips?

Comments

• Kallaen
    Kallaen Posts: 43
    Ride like it is a time trial when on the commute. Of course then you would need a shower when showing up at work. Or use small hills to sprint up the hill to improve your overall performance, it probably won't increase your overall average but will give some extra strength.
    Else there is always intervals or sprinting between two sets of lights or signs to improve strength and fitness. Use your imagination.

Easiest for me is to turn a ride into a time trial against the clock.

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • Jason82
    Jason82 Posts: 142
    Cycle further for a while then go back down and you should be quicker. Also interval training is good sprint every other lampost or lights
    Missing a Boardman cx team
    FCN = 9
  • torch1972 wrote:
    Does anyone have any tips?
    It's a commute, not a race.

Have you considered doing some racing, a time trial perhaps?

Two ways to go faster:
    - increase your sustainable power output through good training
    - reduce the resistance forces acting against you (via more aerodynamic positioning and faster tyres)
  • Kallaen
    Kallaen Posts: 43

Is there something that I haven't been told? A bicycle ride is 90% of the time a race. :P

Well I admit I can enjoy nature as well, riding easy.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^same as every ride I race around as fast as possible ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Missing a Boardman cx team
    FCN = 9
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Kallaen wrote:

Is there something that I haven't been told? A bicycle ride is 90% of the time a race. :P

Well I admit I can enjoy nature as well, riding easy.

I'm with you - the only way to keep my commute interesting is to try to go faster & faster. There's nothing better than spotting a bike in the distance (rare on my ride) to chase down. And beating a PB for the journey is a great feeling. And, consequently, when I do get to ride with some other serious (competitive racer) cyclists, I'm not too far out of my depth.

So my advice is to push yourself every other day. Your RT distance isn't that far so you can work pretty hard on a "quick" day and rest on a "slow" day. I think you'll soon find yourself getting quicker.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Nulli
    Nulli Posts: 29
    Your commute is only 0.9 of a mile longer each way than mine and I can achieve my commute in just under 24 mins but that is when I push it. If you pedal sedately, then the chances are you will not improve significantly on your fitness level where as if you really go for it and have a good work out, then you are definitely going to increase your fitness. However, the down side of thrashing ones self is that you will need a shower at work and you are likely to suffer the fatigue elements associated with a good work out. Therefore rehydration and sustaining fuel levels is paramount.

You didnt say what type of bike you ride? Mountain, Hybrid or Road? Presuming that you ride a mountain bike, it is going to be significantly slower than a Hybrid but you could change the tyres and fit slim tyres instead of chunky tyres.

Trek 7.5fx