Jeff Jones, new provisional comp 12hr record, 305.69miles

danowat
danowat Posts: 2,877
edited August 2011 in Amateur race
Outstanding ride, was a pleasure to meet you afterwards Jeff 8)

Comments

• fantastic jeff!!

didn't you do it too danowat??
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Well done, Jeff :wink:

steady rider, Dan was marshalling.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • danowat
    No, in my first season, I thought it was a stretch too far!, and after seeing the state of some riders at the finish, I don't think I want to do it!.

There were so many top class rides throughout the field, everyone did amazingly well, and I was in awe for most of the day, seeing these riders banging in lap, after lap for 12hr solid.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    If I've got the maths right, that puts Jeff (narrowly) into 3rd place (26.978mph) in the BBAR - nice one! 8)
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
  • danowat
    Final lap before being moved onto the finishing circuit, about 9hrs in 8)

IMG_3933.jpg
  • WOW, super sweet bike!! that is my DREAM bike lol.!
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Bronzie wrote:
    If I've got the maths right, that puts Jeff (narrowly) into 3rd place (26.978mph) in the BBAR - nice one! 8)
    I stand corrected
    http://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/Hom ... fault.aspx
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    Feel like a zombie today but it was worth it :) I did have an inkling that it would be possible after last week's 50, but so much can go wrong in a 12 that you can never get ahead of yourself.

Report here: http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/b ... cord-31324 (thanks to Danowat for the pic!)

If I can string two brain cells together I might sort out a blog.

I still can't believe it.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • danowat
    It was actually the missus on camera duty yesterday, I was busy marshalling!!!
  • Jeff Jones
    Aha - give me a name and I'll correct
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Well no wonder he went so fast. That bike isn't UCI legal!

Nevertheless - Holy F**K that is one hell of a ride!! Well done Jeff. An inspiration to us amateur TTers!!
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,919
    Sorry Jeff but I'm afraid Pokerface is correct, that Shiv is not UCI legal.

Sorry but you'll have to repeat your effort on a legal bike :wink:

Well done Jeff! Top effort!
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • Well done, that's incredible
  • danowat
    CTT aren't bound by UCI regs, so its legal in respect of a CTT record :)
  • Jeff Jones
    Who needs the UCI for amateur cycling? :) Under CTT rules you can still ride a Lotus, like wot Boardman used.

Now where's that steamroller? It should be quite close as it's been repeatedly running me over today.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    Who needs the UCI for amateur cycling? :) Under CTT rules you can still ride a Lotus, like wot Boardman used.

Very well done Jeff. On a serious note, do you think you would have been slower (I know 'slower' is a relative term here) on a UCI bike..? In other words, would it have mattered..?
  • Jeff Jones
    Pseudonym wrote:
    Very well done Jeff. On a serious note, do you think you would have been slower (I know 'slower' is a relative term here) on a UCI bike..? In other words, would it have mattered..?
    It's hard to say and not that important as the UCI don't govern UK time trialling. I suspect the difference is small and quite possibly dependent on wind direction. Some bikes are better in crosswinds, while others perform better in straight head/tailwind situations.

I'd like to see independent wind tunnel and real world data before making a call though.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • JamesFree
    JamesFree Posts: 703
    Amazing!!

You must be one seriously fit and efficient guy!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,120
    Brilliant ride - well done Jeff.
  • rabk
    rabk Posts: 182
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    Pseudonym wrote:
    ........ the UCI don't govern UK time trialling...........

Sadly, my understanding is the UCI rules will apply in Scotland next year :(:(:(

Frankly ridiculous for Amateur events :evil:

Anyway, enough of my moaning, Jeff, well done, that is some achievement 8)
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Well done!

Very impressive
  • bexslack
    bexslack Posts: 81
    Well done again Mr Jones.

Are you able to explain how you've suddenly morphed into a superhuman monster on a bike in the last 2 weeks? Exactly what variables have you tweaked?!

Yours expectantly,

R
  • Jeff Jones
    Aha :wink: I have to remain a bit cagey on that one (don't worry, it's all above board).

Reducing any form of resistance is crucial - I'm sure you're well aware of this. Drag and rolling resistance are the big ones in TTing and I've done a fair bit of work in that dept, but - wait for it as this will sound like the poorest excuse in the bike rider's lame excuse book - I recently discovered that the baseplate underneath the nosecone of the bike was rubbing slightly against the front wheel after one of the bolts had come loose. It took me a couple of months to notice that because I only got creaking noises when I put weight on the bars, not when I spun the front wheel. Embarrassing! I tightened it before the BDCA 50 then put loctite on the bolt before the 12 last weekend.

That might not have been a massive improvement but every bit helps.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    Aha :wink: I have to remain a bit cagey on that one (don't worry, it's all above board).

Reducing any form of resistance is crucial - I'm sure you're well aware of this. Drag and rolling resistance are the big ones in TTing and I've done a fair bit of work in that dept, but - wait for it as this will sound like the poorest excuse in the bike rider's lame excuse book - I recently discovered that the baseplate underneath the nosecone of the bike was rubbing slightly against the front wheel after one of the bolts had come loose. It took me a couple of months to notice that because I only got creaking noises when I put weight on the bars, not when I spun the front wheel. Embarrassing! I tightened it before the BDCA 50 then put loctite on the bolt before the 12 last weekend.

That might not have been a massive improvement but every bit helps.
    Well spotted, then, Jeff.
    I made a similar observation a little while ago... I built up a new Cervelo S2 frame using parts from another bike. The tyres where 25mm Krylions, and after riding for a little while the front would naturally generate a little heat, expad a bit, then rub on the underside of the fork crown! Now back to 23mm tyres :oops:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Truely outstanding effort Jeff. You're obviously in the form of your life. Once (if!) you recover, have you any targets left for the rest of the year?
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Fine ride Jeff......you should have a bash at the 24 hour record now......if you could repeat your 305 miles for the first 12 hours, then you'd 'only' have to do 235 miles in the second 12 hours to be challenging :D
  • How much did you manage to refuel as you went? Total energy expenditure for going that fast for that long must be huge. Do you have any gadget data for calories used or similar?
  • Jeff Jones
    How much did you manage to refuel as you went? Total energy expenditure for going that fast for that long must be huge. Do you have any gadget data for calories used or similar?
    My computer ran out of memory a bit before the finish, so I don't know how many calories exactly, but it was definitely over 10,000. That's more than a kilo of body fat in half a day although somehow I don't think this weight loss method will take off among the dieting crowd.

I kept eating/drinking at regular 15-30min intervals. Not sure how many calories I consumed on the ride, maybe 2000? I wasn't counting, just trying to eat. Given you can store ~2000 cals worth of glycogen then it's a matter of riding at just the right rate so you burn everything by the finish. When I got to the last timekeeper where I could stop (310 miles) I was only about half a mile from the HQ. But I was so spent that I just stopped there and then.

24hour: no, never! The 12 is enough. It's a tremendous achievement but it can take your mind to some dark places on the way.

As for the rest of this year, it'd be nice to win the BBAR but if that doesn't happen I'll still be over the moon with how my season's gone. I think/hope there's more to come next year too.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports