Are Ergon GP1 grips compatible with bar ends?

skdotcom
skdotcom Posts: 56
edited September 2011 in Commuting general
I was looking at getting some new bar grips for Trek 7.3fx hybrid as I'm doing a few easy upgrades on my bike to improve comfort.

I fancy a pair of lock on grips such as the Ergon GP1, but I wasn't sure if they are designed to be slid along the bar to accommodate bar ends too.

I know Ergon do grips with built in bar ends, but seeing as I have some nice Carbon bar ends already I would prefer to continue using them.

Anyone know if the Ergon grips have a fixed end, or whether they can be slide further along the bar?
Specialized Sequoia Expert Gravel Bike
Ribble CGR SL di2 12spd Gravel Bike
Planet X Spitfire Titanium Road Bike
Dawes Super Galaxy Tandem
Boardman Hybrid Team
Raleigh Equipe Fixie
Kona Dew Drop

Comments

• piquet
    piquet Posts: 83
    different models in the ergon range come complete with bar ends -
  • skdotcom
    Piquet wrote:
    different models in the ergon range come complete with bar ends -

Yeah, as I said in my post, I'm aware they do them, but I want to use my existing bar ends.
    Boardman Hybrid Team
    Raleigh Equipe Fixie
    Kona Dew Drop
  • Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    skdotcom wrote:
    Anyone know if the Ergon grips have a fixed end, or whether they can be slide further along the bar?

Yes, you can use existing bar ends - they slide along. I have a pair and used my existing bar ends.

Though, you might need to move the brake/gear levers along to accomodate them.
  • skdotcom
    Moodyman wrote:
    skdotcom wrote:

Yes, you can use existing bar ends - they slide along. I have a pair and used my existing bar ends.

Though, you might need to move the brake/gear levers along to accomodate them.

Great, thanks.
    Boardman Hybrid Team
    Raleigh Equipe Fixie
    Kona Dew Drop
  • skdotcom
    Fitted my bar ends today. Very nice indeed - went for the biokork version - very pleased with the look of them. Now I just need to get a brown saddle to match :)
    Boardman Hybrid Team
    Raleigh Equipe Fixie
    Kona Dew Drop
  • Slightly OT, but I have Ergon GP1 on my flat bar, I don't like the idea of moving the shifters/brakes inboard to attach a bar end so...

a) Are Ergon GC2/GR2 the same length but with bar ends? i.e. direct swap

b) Is there a bar end that plugs into the handlebar end rather than clamps on?
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • Moodyman
    Slightly OT, but I have Ergon GP1 on my flat bar, I don't like the idea of moving the shifters/brakes inboard to attach a bar end so...

b) Is there a bar end that plugs into the handlebar end rather than clamps on?[/quote]

Don't think so. Bar ends are used the most when putting the power in, which means stronger grip from the rider. I don't think bar ends with plugs will be stable enough with that kind of pulling.

You can buy Ergon grips in various sizes if you don't want to move the gear shifters inward - or, in the worse case senario, cut a bit of the narrow end of the grips off.
  • Moodyman
    Slightly OT, but I have Ergon GP1 on my flat bar, I don't like the idea of moving the shifters/brakes inboard to attach a bar end so...

b) Is there a bar end that plugs into the handlebar end rather than clamps on?[/quote]

Don't think so. Bar ends are used the most when putting the power in, which means stronger grip from the rider. I don't think bar ends with plugs will be stable enough with that kind of pulling.

You can buy Ergon grips in various sizes if you don't want to move the gear shifters inward - or, in the worse case senario, cut a bit of the narrow end of the grips off.
  • If anyone is interested I have a pair of GC2 Ergons for sale, Excellent condition, PM if interested