Which brake pads?

2»

Comments

• pots74
    pots74 Posts: 62
    Well unless you list them how are we to know which ones you're on about?? :evil:
    F##k it i'll just get some brake cleaner from LBS as i know they stock it! Thanks for your advice you've been so helpful! :roll:
    I have never been lost but I do admit to being confused for several weeks!

Specialized Enduro Expert EVO 2012
  • Zziplex
    Zziplex Posts: 190
    Well, seeing as I've kept recommending the same thing repeatedly, what conclusion are you beginning to draw about possible substitutes?

Vodka, Smirnoff is all I have in stock, the other stuff is sh1te.
    Guinness for strength
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    A quick hose of the rotors and callipers with cold fresh water to rinse of any grit, mud or sand normally does the job. No need for anything special unless you have something oily on the rotors, which shouldn't happen if you are careful.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    pots74 wrote:
    Well unless you list them how are we to know which ones you're on about?? :evil:
    F##k it i'll just get some brake cleaner from LBS as i know they stock it! Thanks for your advice you've been so helpful! :roll:
    I see you want to be poked with the "stupid stick".
    Use...
    Isopropyl alcohol
    Isopropyl alcohol
    Isopropyl alcohol
    Isopropyl alcohol

Nothing else.
    Clear now?
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    What's that stuff you use to clean your brakes again? :wink:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Bishbosh10
    Bishbosh10 Posts: 268
    I use brake cleaner :) you know, the stuff you buy from a motor factor to clean your, well, brakes!

Disc brakes are disc brakes, brake cleaner is brake cleaner.
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • nail varnish remover has Isopropyl alcohol
    in it, in regards to brakes i must have had something stuck on mine because my brake pads on the front have scratch marks on them and their quite deep and caused a faint scratch all around the front disc. so i have swaped front and rear pads around and all seems well now.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nail polish remover is normally acetone, but also includes additives including oil.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    I did use a proper disc brake cleaner but as it's a cheaper option I've now bought a 500ml spray bottle and 1l of 99% pure (doesn't really need to be that pure) isopropyl alcohol from the bay.
  • Bishbosh10
    Bishbosh10 Posts: 268
    I did use a proper disc brake cleaner but as it's a cheaper option I've now bought a 500ml spray bottle and 1l of 99% pure (doesn't really need to be that pure) isopropyl alcohol from the bay.

Cheaper than this?

http://www.alexshanks.com/index.php?option=shop&page=shop.product_details&product_id=594&l=uk&utm_source=google&utm_medium=base

If so, please post up a link so we can all benefit :)

Best I have found is this for IPA:

http://www.flints.co.uk/acatalog/Solvents.html

Which is actually quite comparable price wise. Either option is going to see you right for a long time - just need a small plant sprayer to decant it into from time to time.
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.