Chainring bolts - ahhh

diy
diy Posts: 6,473
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
seems I didn't correctly tighten these when I replaced my granny and middle chain ring, lost the whole lot today. A search of the specific part suggest that M760 chainring bolts are now obsolete, so just bought a new M770 (my large ring was fairly worn, but the granny and middle are new). I will keep looking, as it wont hurt to have a backup, but I can't believe that variation is shimano component sizes. Hardly anything is compatible within the same range.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Granny and middle are different sets of bolt. How did you loose the lot.
  • tom_howard
    tom_howard Posts: 789
    Forgive my ignorance, but arent chainring bolts just chainring bolts? ie you can use any brand/model/colour as long as the length is OK?
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Apart from length, nearly all chainring bolts are the same, just the odd one where you have things like screw into middle rings that are different.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • diy
    Sorry "lost the lot" meant I lost the whole set of chain ring bolts (4 bolts holding the large and middle), the granny was still attached, so I was able to get home albeit with cadence above 100 rpm and a dodgy looking chain line ;)

The Double Gear Fixing Bolt on the m760 is M8 x 9.2
    On the m770 and 780 is M8 x 9.1

given the load on these parts I'm assuming .1mm will make a difference? I might see if I can get som 9.1s as a backup.

The SLX and deore are M8 x 8.5
  • Jesus, you must have only had them in finger tight... bet you don't have a peg tool either for the back do you :?:
  • tom_howard
    tom_howard Posts: 789
    .1 of a mm?! When I said the length needed to be OK I meant as long as they were long enough to go though the rings and still tighten. I'm pretty sure all the lengths you mentioned will be fine!
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • diy
    oh yeah duh - its the length isn't it, I was thinking it was the diameter of the nut. I could probably get away with the 8.5mm then.