Replacing spoke nipples

gaved
gaved Posts: 56
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello guys..!!

Is replacing spoke nipples a big/expensive job.. :?

There is nothing wrong with the nipples at the mo, but I thought that some red ones would add some bling to the bike :lol:
Or is blinging up a bike seen as a bit of a 'crime' to certain MTBers....? :roll:

Thanks very much :D
I have nipples, can you milk me....?

Comments

• more plain stupid for no reason if you ask me. why re-build a wheel for it?
  • HandjobDan
    HandjobDan Posts: 704
    Re-building a wheel is a very tricky exercise as it's the tension in the spokes that determines whether or not it's true. If you're comfortable with that, it's your bike so do what you want with it. We all want our bikes to look nice and they reflect a bit of our personalities.

I really want ZTR Flow rims on my wheels but I'm too scared to try and build a wheel. I might get a cheap hub and see if I can do it at some point.
  • tom_howard
    tom_howard Posts: 789
    It's about £30-40 for a de-build and rebuild in an LBS (plus the cost of your bling nipples) which id say was alot for something that doesnt need doing, but if you REALLY want it......
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The colured ones are usually weaker alu too.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If your just replacing nipples do it one at a time keeping the rim true as you go, but as SS says, red means anodised ally means weaker.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.