Replacing 8 speed cassette with 9 speed cassette

velvetytoast
velvetytoast Posts: 161
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I've a Scott Yecora Disk that probably hasn't had a new chain or cassette in the last 5 years - I've finally decide to replace and thought it may be time to start a bit of DIY :shock:

The bike currently has an 8 speed cassette but looking at prices its probably cheaper to replace it with a 9 speed (CRC about £17 rather than £22) is it going to cause me any problems (shifters are Scott Comp)

Thanks in advance

Comments

• yes. you'll ned to replace the shifters too, not sure if the rear hub will take a 9sp cassette either
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    new shifter needed. 8/9/10 bodies are the same.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks guys - £5 more on the cassette is less than a new set of shifters, so that answers that!
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I saw an LX 8 spd for 10 quid on CRC. Dunno wwhere youre looking?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    9 speed cassette, 9 speed shifter and 9 speed chain, you may also need a new front mech but usually you can get away with it.......I just converted the lads Spesh P1 to 9 speed.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.