Mud Gaurd advice for Specialized Secteur

tim_wand
tim_wand Posts: 2,552
edited August 2011 in Commuting general
Any one run a Spesh Secteur with gaurds and can make an experienced recomendation.

Tyres are going to be 25 mm Schwalbe Duranos and I ll more and likely be riding with a rear rack too.

Comments

• davenice
    davenice Posts: 72
    Hey.

Well. Funny you should ask. I have some experience here ;-) I mainly commute and my criteria really are not getting water splashed up my back and spray from the front wheel in my face. (I don't race or ride in groups).

I started with the Crud Road Racer Mk2. I spent 30 mins on it but couldn't get this to fit without rubbing (although I think people claim you can) so I sold them on ebay. (I gave up pretty early on because I was keen not to damage/mark them, for resale value).

I then moved onto the SKS Race Blade. I was able to get them to fit by sliding things round a bit and bending the arms a touch (because of the angle/bend of the seat stays it was difficult to get them just right). However I found they slipped a bit occasionally and rubbed on the tyre (although since I've screwed the screws in it's not such an issue). Also my rear light is a light tube style thing (attaches to the seat stay) which doesn't work well with them. Added to this, I had to use a number of cable ties instead of the rubber bands which meant that after I removed the 'guards from winter it was too much of a faff to put them back on for the odd rainy day.

So. My final solution is the BBB Road Protector (http://www.bbbparts.com/proinfo3.php?N= ... =EN&Y=2011). This is more like the MTB style guards that just stop water flicking up. I really like them - had to bend the front one a touch to get it in the right place without fouling the gear cables. I haven't ridden in torrential rain but riding through light rain and on wet roads they've been really good. Plus it takes me about 10 seconds to fit or remove them. GREAT!

The only downside with the BBBs is that they don't have as good protection for people riding behind or guff getting in the drivechain. Such is life, though!

(If you want a set of used SKS Race Blades in black, I could do you a good price ;-) )

Good luck!

Dave
  • davenice
    davenice Posts: 72
    This is a Secteur with 25mm tyres and no rack. I'm don't *think* you'd get any interaction with the rack.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Thanks Dave. I was thinking of Race Blades initially but unfortunately your honesty has done you out of a sale. Will check out the BBB's as the ability to remove the gaurds for drier days and not riding in groups really appeals.

Thanks Tim