Thor, Vaughters and the Vuelta

No_Ta_Doctor
No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,308
edited August 2011 in Pro race
So Thor isn't riding the Vuelta. This seems to be because Vaughters needs to make sure Garmin accumulate ranking points to ensure their status rather than any nastiness, though I'm sure it's disappointing for Thor and cycling fans.

Can anyone walk me through the points system as to why this is happening? Have the UCI shot themselves in the foot, again?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format

Comments

• I'd imagine if Thor is leaving and his points won't count for Garmin, JV can substitute him with a rider who will be with the team next year who can (hopefully) get points. It's about the riders you have on the team that year, not the team they rode for last year.

So a team of Evans, Contador Schleck would have loads of points for their ranking, even thought they've all been on different teams this season
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,308
    Are all team points rider based, nothing at all from team performance in the preceding season? That seems just a touch crazy, especially given cycling's unique individual-team structure.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Are all team points rider based, nothing at all from team performance in the preceding season? That seems just a touch crazy, especially given cycling's unique individual-team structure.

Since when have the UCI done anything sensible?
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    It is clear that there is little love between Thor and JV.

Thor couldn't leave Garmin fast enough.
  • Wasn't there some issue with Vaughers not paying a bonus to Hushovd for winning the Worlds? I assume it's now been paid, but proabably didn't get them off to a good start.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Wasn't there some issue with Vaughers not paying a bonus to Hushovd for winning the Worlds? I assume it's now been paid, but proabably didn't get them off to a good start.

The explanation I've read is that Thor had agreed a contract. After winning the worlds he then demanded extra money. The compromise agreement was that if Vaughters could find another sponsor he would give Thor the money. He hasn't found any additional sponsors.

I hate to say this because he seems to be one of the good guys in the peloton, but this season I've got an overriding impression that Thor's ego may be out of control.

On a side note, I've seen it suggested that not riding the Vuelta could mean that Thor ends up in the Tour of Britain. Has the race ever had the current World Champion taking part?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    squired wrote:

On a side note, I've seen it suggested that not riding the Vuelta could mean that Thor ends up in the Tour of Britain. Has the race ever had the current World Champion taking part?

Yup, Boonen a few years ago.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    squired wrote:

Yes. He even won a stage (and signed a jersey for me).

TourOfBritainStg6_PPAUK007.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Wasn't there some issue with Vaughers not paying a bonus to Hushovd for winning the Worlds? I assume it's now been paid, but proabably didn't get them off to a good start.

Yes, money and Thor was pretty critical of Garmin's tactics during the classics.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    RichN95 wrote:
    squired wrote:

Look at the chubby kid lagging behind Boonen in that photo, how times change!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • RichN95 wrote:
    squired wrote:

Look at the chubby kid lagging behind Boonen in that photo, how times change!

Good spot :D
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,582
    RichN95 wrote:

Hero.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    squired wrote:

There's another good photo from that year where Boonen's suddenly aware of this whiper-snapper at his heels on the finish line. From his expression he's thinking "who's this kid?"
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    What on earth is going on with Vaughters, O'Grady and Baden Cooke on Twitter? Seems very odd that two riders who have never been on Garmin have suddenly taken offence that Thor has been left out the Vuelta team.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    afx237vi wrote:
    What on earth is going on with Vaughters, O'Grady and Baden Cooke on Twitter? Seems very odd that two riders who have never been on Garmin have suddenly taken offence that Thor has been left out the Vuelta team.

Thor and O'Grady rode together at Gan. I'm guessing Baden Cooke was part of the same anglophone training group back in the 90s. The community of English speaking pro cyclists back then was pretty small.
  • RichN95.
    afx237vi wrote:

Thor and O'Grady rode together at Gan. I'm guessing Baden Cooke was part of the same anglophone training group back in the 90s. The community of English speaking pro cyclists back then was pretty small.

You know which other Anglophone rode with them back then?

Vaughters.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Good point.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Perhaps Stuart O'Grady's not the right guy to talk about doing the Vuelta and team work?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Kléber wrote:
    Perhaps Stuart O'Grady's not the right guy to talk about doing the Vuelta and team work?

I think he did great team work at the Vuelta last year. He ordered the beer to stop any awkward questions for Andy AND was in charge of the lighter.

Good team work.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    This seems like a massive non story.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    It's no supraise he isn't riding. But I would have though Garmin would have more then enough points to need to worry about excluding Thor?
  • RichN95.
    squired wrote:

According to CW, Thor will be doing the Tour of Britain.
  • O'Grady, Cooke and McEwan are close friends and they know Vaughters well so will appreciate what he's like.

seriously, can you imagine having to spend months at a time with that guy?
    colin-210x210.jpg