August Pro Cycling

Garry H
Garry H Posts: 6,639
edited August 2011 in Pro race
In the otherwise excellent Tour summary article in this month's mag, it says that Evans is the first major tour winner to also own a world champs jersey since Olano in 1995 (paraphrasing here). Surely it should read "since Armstrong in 2005", or am I just being thick?

Comments

• shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    They also credit Norway with 5 stage wins, although I suppose they could be crediting Thor with the TTT stage I suppose?
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Garry H wrote:
    In the otherwise excellent Tour summary article in this month's mag, it says that Evans is the first major tour winner to also own a world champs jersey since Olano in 1995 (paraphrasing here). Surely it should read "since Armstrong in 2005", or am I just being thick?

They are in the process of historical revisionism, brushing Armstrong and his 15-front-covers-per-year from history, in advance of the trial.

Strava is not Zen.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    They also credit Norway with 5 stage wins, although I suppose they could be crediting Thor with the TTT stage I suppose?

He was first over the line for the team wasn't he? That's give him the yellow in the right situation so I guess this is where they get that from.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Perhaps it's just awkwardly written and in the muddle they were meaning the most recent world champion to also be a grand tour winner.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    To be fair, in an article in the magazine around 4 months ago they had a page with the name of every rider who had ever won a TdF stage, and missed George Hincapie. Sometimes they make mistakes - they are only human. Pretty big mistake to forget LA though :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    What did people think of the doping article?
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    What did people think of the doping article?
    The undetectable EPO from China sounds like a good product
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I was hoping for a better Vuelta preview rather than a 25 page review of the tour... cant win them all i suppose.

the carbon oakleys did make me drool though
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Olano didn't win a major tour in 1995 did he? The GT winners were Rominger, Indurain and Jalabert.

Alsoo, Olano won the world champs at the end of that season so wouldn't have been world champ at the time of any of the major tours.