more wheel woes

Muttly1981
Muttly1981 Posts: 815
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
A few weeks back I started having problems with ghost shifting which I put down to a cable/mech problem, anyway after having a fiddle rode penmancho on friday but the problem was still persisting so upon closer look I noticed the qr was slightly bent and the threaded axle snapped at the driveside nut. The wheel is only 6 months old so would this be covered on mavics warranty? If so how long do mavic normally take in deciding as my sram rear mech took 4 weeks when that was sent away.

Any help mucho appreciated
What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    a breakage my be covered but only for materials not for abuse.

a bent Qr is no problem as it is only a tensioner.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Muttly1981
    The wheel hasn't imo been abused only trail center riding, nothing like you'd find in fort bill etc. There are 3 of us go riding all with the same model cross ride wheel (2 of us same bikes) and I'm the only one to suffer any kind of problem. I'd claim its a failure of the axle more than abuse.

I'm not worried about the qr as I have a few spares I just don't like the idea of the wheel failing and me killing myself to death
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • Muttly1981
    Popped into Evans on the way home and they say a 5 month old wheel shouldn't fail like it has done, they'll ring mavic tomorrow and see what they can do for me but they think it should be fine on warranty
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Muttly1981 wrote:
    d me killing myself to death
    There's another way?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.