Silly Commuter Cyclo Cross Racing

2»

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Gussio wrote:
    Have been invited to race at an event on the Hillingdon circuit at the end of this month, which I still might do if they'll let me use a rigid fork MTB. Got me thinking and I'm wavering over a significantly reduced Alu CX frameset.

I've never done any CX. Have no idea whether there is a world of CX componentry out there. Do you need special wheels, cranks, bars, stem, etc.? Think that the frame I'm looking at is discounted because it has canti mounts and since discs are now (I think) legal there is less demand for non-disc specific frames. Have no issues with canti - I run CR720s with Koolstop pad on the Pompino and they are fine (on the road).

Quite like the idea of a new project - it will give me a break from restoring an old Dawes townbike, which has made zero progress this year. Can't afford or justify (to Mrs Gussio) the purchase of a complete new bike. Is CX the way to go?

Does anyone ride these races SS? If not, what sort of gearing might you expect, road compact or MTB triple?. Anything else that needs considering?

You're welcome to take mine around the trail in RP if you want. I would've thought they'd be fine with a rigid fork mtb.

A couple of health warnings, mind, if you want to use mine: (a) the gears are not finely tuned, meaning that they jump a bit in the middle of the cassette; (b) I have a front mech, but it's acting as a chain-guard at the moment, but, tbh, I would only use the 46 on flatter circuits with long straights; Hillingdon has a couple, IIRC, but sticking in the 36 and using the cassette seems to be doing the job for me.

Fwiw, I had to ride SS in the race SimonAH and I did at the start of this month. I was restricted to the 36/23. I was spinning like a hamster on speed on the flats, but it was probably better as I didn't then push too big a gear.

It's a more relaxed geometry than my road bikes, and it's supposedly better to have wider rims to accommodate the wider tyres - I'm using 30mm Michelin Mud 2s on my normal road rims.

I picked up my Kona Jake for £110 or something. I bought an FSA CX chainset going cheap on Wiggle and the rest is hand-me-downs from my other bikes.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Thanks CJ - sage advice. You got a good deal on the Kona. I may well take you up on the offer of a test ride.

Think that I will go along to Hillingdon to see what its all about then make a call on what to do bike-wise. The concept of single speed, with sensible gearing, is an appealing one. Straightforward set up and less chance of mechanical problems, light to carry, and cheap.
  • itboffin wrote:
    I went and watched a race at thruxton last year and it put me off, I couldn't see the point of riding around a section of taped off grass when there's so much great forest and single track in this area.

Then again I'm not a fan of circuit races either.

Watching and taking part are very different things.
  • cjcp
    Anyone doing any this coming season?

For those in the Big Smoke, there's the South London Late Summer League starting on Wednesday 29 August (evening races). Think there are four of them in the series, held at Beckenham and Herne Hill.

@SimonAH - might also do some at Cwmbran, Risca and Cardiff. You in again?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    cjcp wrote:

For those in the Big Smoke, there's the South London Late Summer League starting on Wednesday 29 August (evening races). Think there are four of them in the series, held at Beckenham and Herne Hill.

Definitely on for some; just need to identify the strange clicking noise from my bottom bracket, and figure out how to get on and off the bike...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • cjcp
    TGOTB wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Definitely on for some; just need to identify the strange clicking noise from my bottom bracket, and figure out how to get on and off the bike...

There's a click of sorts coming from the BB on mine, but I find that it's cancelled out by the heavy breathing or screeching cantis.

A few things to work on. :)

EDIT: Anyone on here know long it might take to ride to Beckenham from Westminster?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."