The 'stay warm but still get wet' quick-drying clothes topic

Jonathan86
Jonathan86 Posts: 10
edited August 2011 in Commuting general
Hello all,

After walking my commute every day last winter I have come to the conclusion that no matter how much I spend on waterproofs, sooner or later I'm going to get wet and become miserable. I shelled out over £300 a couple of years ago on Rab waterproof gear, and even those can only hold off the rain for so long. Even if they do keep me dry, the sweat gets me instead.

As such, since getting my bike I've since changed my approach for this winter to more of a "fuck it, I''m going to get wet anyway" one. As such, I'm looking for gear recommendations for clothes that aren't necessarily waterproof, but will keep me warm and then dry quickly.

As far as the top half goes, I'm still going to stick to wearing a wicking top with a waterproof/windproof breathable jacket.

What I am clueless about, however, is the lower half. In order to keep vaguely warm, I'll probably opt for a pair of traditional skin-tight cycling shorts under some quick-drying baggier shorts (for warmth and insulation)

So, for under the outer, baggier shorts, should I be looking at those multi-sport compression shorts or padded riding shorts? or, are they much the same thing?

Also, as far as wet feet goes, I've heard that overshoes only do so much and it's only a matter of time before water drips down your lower leg into the top of them. What kind of things should I be wearing on my feet to ensure warmth and fast-drying-ness?

Any advice is sincerely appreciated since this will be my first winter commuting by bike, and feel free to point out any flaws with my plans!

Muchos thanks!

Edit: I also forgot to ask, are there any brands which are particularly good?

Comments

• unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I have Planet-X neoprene overshoes and even mountain biking through the Cairngorms in winter never gives me wet feet. 15 quid well spent.

I have a skin problem that hurts a lot if I have sweat that won't disperse. My wife bought me a poncho type thing that zips all the way up both sides to the armpits. If I open the zips most of the way I don't get wet and the sweat gets out. On the bottom I wear an ancient pair of waterproof trousers, not ideal but they work. Sealskinz hat on top. I use the same gear for cross country skiing but with different trousers.

Yet to find good gloves. I use a 15 quid pair of gortex snowboarding gloves. They're not bad but I sweat a little in them and after an hour in very heavy rain / hail they're wet inside. Be sure to have your jacket cuffs on top of the gloves (I didn't once and it made a big difference). But in the winter (and before the snow) I go out in truly terrible conditions.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • bobbygloss
    bobbygloss Posts: 317
    For me, it's padded cycling shorts with Ron Hill tracksters over the top. They were fine in all weathers from heavy rain to cold dry days.
    For feet, I've tried overshoes a couple of times but they didn't keep my feet dry. Possibly a bit warmer, but it's hard to tell. I find they catch on the cranks too.
    Gloves - some old mountain equipment fleece gloves with a waterproof membrane are good for the wet days. Still get wet, but seem to be warm enough. Ski gloves with thermal inners for the cold days.
  • Craggers
    Craggers Posts: 185
    Winter for me means a pair of Lusso max repel bib tights over normal padded lycra shorts with neoprene overshoes, never had a problem with water getting into my shoes, and never felt too cold, even when riding in last winters snow and -10 temps. Though when it's extra cold I wear 4 season hiking socks under the overshoes.
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    For legwear I can deffo recommend some cut down ex army goretex trousers. I`ve got mine cut to just below my knee so allows me to roll them down to cover my knees and for £15 they are great. I did 4hrs round kielder in the rain and my thighs and bum were bone dry. Good in the wet and also cold as a windproof layer, they allow air up and around the legs so minimise condensation but not enough to make you cold.

Neoprene overshoes are great, for me I accept I`ll get wet feet but these keep my feet warm when wet.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    If you can handle the MTB look on the road, waterproof shorts are brilliant! I reccomend 3/4 ones as water from puddles can get turbo charged up the inside of the short if you get the angles wrong.

Merino wool socks keep you re feet warm when wet but the shirts tend to stay wet once wet and let the wind get at you so man made stuff is better for the upper body (tbh Helly Hanson are still the masters of this sort of thing!). Gilet's are good for keeping the wind off your upper body but also letting sweat out the back.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • BigLee1 wrote:
    For legwear I can deffo recommend some cut down ex army goretex trousers. I`ve got mine cut to just below my knee so allows me to roll them down to cover my knees and for £15 they are great.
    ddraver wrote:
    If you can handle the MTB look on the road, waterproof shorts are brilliant! I reccomend 3/4 ones as water from puddles can get turbo charged up the inside of the short if you get the angles wrong.

I can indeed handle the look! :wink:

I assume you got the trousers from an army surplus store Lee?

Are there any shorts or brands in particular you would recommend draver?
  • ddraver
    Altura do some cheaper ones but mine disintergrated, think they re called Attack

Endura do some good but expensive ones (Venturi) or some lighter cheaper ones that won't stand up to regular crashes (not good for MTB) but are fine otherwise

A few others do, Pearl Izumi, Gore and I think dhb but i ve no experience of them...
    - @ddraver
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Riders vary hugely in their tolerance for cold. I am dressed in 3 layers for a frosty morning and pass a guy in shorts and T shirt. There may be some thinking " Im on a bike, I must wear shorts". Most riders dress up for the cold.

For winter, my outfit includes merino wool base T shirt and Paramo outer shell . Paramo may be too warm for some high-intensity riders but for just riding along in the cold and damp it is perfect. I have ridden through 8hrs of torrential rain and remained comfortable. They also last for many years and are reproofable and mendable.
    I dont like to wear a membrane style waterproof unless it is raining. Cheaper windproofs work better and save wear and tear on your waterproof.

I find that midlayers are not so critical, cycling jersies, woollen jumpers, padded gillet, they all work.

On legs, you can get some water-repellant leggings, a bit tougher and warmer than Ron Hills. I usually wear tracksters or polycotton hiking pants. In really cold wet conditions, some breathable waterproof overpants (Montaine DT Atomic) funnel the water over my sealskinz socks.

You need thicker socks so roomier shoes. Hands, feet and neck need protection in the cold.
  • For socks, SealSkinz are pricey, but waterproof. If you ever go to any outdoor trade shows - they're the people stood in a hot tub in their socks. Neoprene overshoes will never keep you completely dry - the idea is that they keep you warm. In combination, you should be pretty toasty.
    Twitter: @FunkyMrMagic
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I wear shorts for as long as I can as I hate the contriction at the knees that tights bring.

Merino is great and so is Gore Windproof (and the Assos equivalent). I can't remember the last time I wore a waterproof garment to keep the wet out. At -11C I wore my Goretex trousers and eVent jacket as a windproof layer though.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    For socks, SealSkinz are pricey, but waterproof. If you ever go to any outdoor trade shows - they're the people stood in a hot tub in their socks. Neoprene overshoes will never keep you completely dry - the idea is that they keep you warm. In combination, you should be pretty toasty.

If you ride in shorts you have to be wary of the spray running down your legs.

I generally wear sealskinz in very wet/snowy conditions when I'm out and about on the MTB, but unless you wear long tights/trousers over the socks I end up with the filling with water.
  • ddraver
    I think dry feet on a wet ride is a physical impossibility. The guys at the LHC should look into this!

Just try and keep your feet warm whilst wet with decent warm shoes and some decent socks (merino), it's the best you can do!
    - @ddraver
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    MichaelW wrote:
    Riders vary hugely in their tolerance for cold. I am dressed in 3 layers for a frosty morning and pass a guy in shorts and T shirt.
    North East by any chance ?
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    Jonathan86 wrote:
    BigLee1 wrote:
    For legwear I can deffo recommend some cut down ex army goretex trousers. I`ve got mine cut to just below my knee so allows me to roll them down to cover my knees and for £15 they are great.
    ddraver wrote:

I can indeed handle the look! :wink:

I assume you got the trousers from an army surplus store Lee?

Are there any shorts or brands in particular you would recommend draver?

Yep, got mine via the tinternet, maj=ke sure you get the goretex ones and not the nylon type waterproofs. Also no pocket slits either
  • I am in a similar position to Jonathan86, always walked to work but now riding a bike
    I was looking at Endura Singletrack waterproof 3/4 length shorts, any idea if these will be good for winter.

I'm wondering if these will be ok for all days except snow... assuming that the pedalling will keep the uncovered bits of leg warm despite the cold.

Am I kidding myself about the cold?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    ddraver wrote:
    I think dry feet on a wet ride is a physical impossibility. The guys at the LHC should look into this!

It isn't an impossibility - it's a necessity! My feet can get cold even in summer so wet winter rides require water to be kept out (though they still end up cold!!).

Basically, sock liners under sealskins waterproof socks under Northwave Celsius boots under BBB Ultraflex overshoes with Roubaix tights over the tops of the sealskins is a pretty impregnable combination as far as mere water is concerned!

BTW - I don't tend to wear anything specifically waterproof for the rest of me. I think if I knew I was going to get drowned on a commute I'd probably carry a spare jersey but that's about it. Hands and feet are my only real concerns re cold.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • GyatsoLa
    GyatsoLa Posts: 667
    DHB from Wiggle do excellent value eVent waterproof shorts - eVent is better than goretex for shorts as its tougher and it maintains its waterproofness and breathability even after multiple washes.

For getting wet while keeping warm, its merino all the way. Planet X do great value merino base layers. Rapha do fantastic merino padded shorts - they are much better if you do get wet than lycra ones.