Mech Hangers

kurako
kurako Posts: 1,098
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
I had a little off a few weeks ago which led to my rear derailleur getting bumped and the hanger which attaches it to the bike snapped. No probs I thought. Popped into the LBS to see if they'd be able to replace it. Little did I know the huge assortment of shapes and sizes these pesky little items come in. So I take the two bits off the bike and go back and he matches it up to the chart he has from the company they use. That's it he says and goes off to look it up on the computer. Aaargh!!! There's none in stock and they're not expected till mid September. Bummer!

OK I think. I'll find one online and take it back to the shop for fitting and service. Yeah, yeah I could probably do it myself with a bit of time and effort but I'm not a mechanic and the bloke at the LBS is no doubt a million times better at this sort of thing than I am.

So a bit of searching around... not much at first. Eventually I find the one I need at a US site. As it turns out I'm going to the states at the end of the month so no probs there. Check the stock. Nada. Dammit...

Then I see that the part in question fits quite a wide range of bikes. 2009 Univega like mine but also others including 2009 Pinarello Prince. Armed with this gem of info I search for Pinarello hangers and hey presto there's the part I need from a company in Italy.

http://www.pilo.co.il/All_Derailleur_Hangers_.aspx

So I thought I'd post the link in case anyone else finds themselves searching the web for small but rather vital bike components. Morale of the story is.. Don't break your gear hanger. They're a pain in the neck to replace.