Charge Mixer 8 or On-One Pompetamine

_Matt_
_Matt_ Posts: 56
edited October 2011 in Commuting general
Hi,

I added a post here about a week ago asking about a commuter bike for £700 with hub gears and had some very interesting answers. The round trip is about 6 miles (or 23 miles if I don't take the train). Unfortunately, I didn't find anything which I was hugely keen on so I've now added £150 to the budget. This gives me two really good options:

On-One Pompetamine
Charge Mixer 8

After adding a few items the Pompetamine came to £820. I'd also like some mudguards for wet days as I'll be riding come rain or shine (or snow). The mixer comes with mudguards so I think the On-One would come it at around £850 once I factor those in.

I can't really see a huge difference between the two as both have very similar setups apart from weight. The Pompetamine is 11.7kg. I can't find an official weight for the Mixer but of the few sites that do list a figure it ranges between 12.7kg and 16kg :shock: http://howardstredwick.posterous.com/charge-mixer-500-mile-detailed-review

Anybody have any opinion which would be the better ride / value for money?

Thanks,

Matt
Focus Cross Expert 2008

Comments

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    The Mixer seems to have much tighter tyre clearance.

What kind of chain tensioning system do they use?
  • _Matt_
    _Matt_ Posts: 56
    An eccentric bottom bracket.
    Focus Cross Expert 2008
  • Pessable
    Pessable Posts: 32
    I've been looking at similar bikes so that I can save my Genesis Equilibrium (and especially it's lovely Shimano 105 drivetrain) from the rigours of a British Winter.

I'd also like my extra bike to work as a leisure bike for pootling around with the missus in the Summer, with a bit of hardpack/towpath capability. For me that means Flat Bars, and around 32mm tyres as well as rack and mudguard capability.

The Pompetamine and Mixer 8 are both on my shortlist, but I would also add the Giant Seek 0 http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/seek.0/7845/45456/ and the Cotic Roadrat http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/bikes/roadrat/alfine/ to a list of Flat Barred Alfine's. The Giant Seek 0 would actually meet your original budget at the moment.

My commute is 15 miles EW on a rural route with a few short hills. It can get quite wet and a bit grungy during the winter.

I'm not on quite so tight a budget, so I've even thought about going for an Alfine 11. Anyone able to offer any empirical pearls of wisdom on the difference between the Alfine 8 and 11?

The Mixer has a good rep, but I wonder if it's urban roots will make it inappropriate for my longer rides. Long distance comfort is pretty high on my list of requirements.

How important are disc brakes? Hydraulic?

Sorry, I know I'm not helping!
  • Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    Pessable wrote:
    I've been looking at similar bikes so that I can save my Genesis The Mixer has a good rep, but I wonder if it's urban roots will make it inappropriate for my longer rides. Long distance comfort is pretty high on my list of requirements.

How important are disc brakes? Hydraulic?
    Sorry, I know I'm not helping!

I have the 2010 Mixer and love it. But if I was searching for the near-perfect commuter again I'd lean towards the On One - 36-spoke handbuilt wheels, mechanical disk brakes and drop bars edge it for me.

I got the Mixer via Halfords C2W (employer's choice) and On One wouldn't supply Halfords back then.

Having said that - no regrets. I have several bikes and the Mixer is my favourite. Here's why:

Steel frame - bulletproof and very comfortable over 12-mile commute. Occasionally do long weekend runs in winter when I don't want to spoil my nice bike. Nice bike doesn't have guards

Hubs gears - super slick and nice range. Equivalent to the double compact on my road bike.

Disc brakes - absolute godsend on busy roads during the wet/winter weather. Personally, I'd prefer the cable discs on my other bike for easy maintenance, but the hydros only needed bleeding once in 18 months. Bleeding, incidentaly, is much easier than people think. Still, discs are far better than the rims I had for years.

Geometry - this is where the bike comes into its own. It's got an aggressive geometry and really encourages you to go hard. On my other bikes, I often find myself sitting up and taking it easy. On this, it says ride hard and I do - which makes me fitter and stronger.

Frame - tight clearances with mudguards but you can fit most 32mm slicks. I ride with 28s and fitted full SKS guards.

2 x water bottle mounts.

Spoon saddle - all day comfort.

Handling - very sharp and precise.

Downside - weight. Only notice it on steep climbs of which there's plenty round here.
    Upside - weight. This weight is also what makes the bike solid. I ride with 2 panniers and there's no wobble down 40mph descents.

Hope this helps.
  • I'm hopefully picking up a giant seek 0 this week, I can let you know what it's like.

you can pick them up for sub £600 on the web at several sites
    They laughed when I said I was going to be a comedian. Well, they're not laughing now.
  • Pessable
    @marklocke1974

Have you got your Seek 0 yet?
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    There is also Milk bikes - the RDA which looks like the only serious everday low maintenance commuting/touring bike - hub geared, disc brakes (rear caliper INSIDE rear triangle so rack mounting not affected) and belt drive if you so desire plus all the mounts for racks.

http://www.milkbikes.com/bikes/the-commuter/

They were featured in Cycling Active's mag back in march and also August's issue.

They look seriously worth considering.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Pessable
    I think we're drifting away from _Matt_'s budget now, and even though I don't have a set budget, that RDA looks lovely but on the dear side. Not unlike these:

http://www.schindelhauerbikes.com/#/en/ ... 11/config/

Still, if you're buying a bike to last even as little as 10 years, what's a few hundred quid over its lifetime!
  • Bi50N
    Bi50N Posts: 87
    In response to the OP, I have a Pompetamine Versa Pro and have found it to be amazing. It's my all-year commuter (6.5 miles each way) and light tourer.

I think it looks a lot better than the Charge too :)

5986741021_5cafb996bf.jpg
  • In the end I plumped for a Cube Hooper Pro with Alfine 11 and hydraulic discs. It's a fast hybrid with quite an aggressive riding position - I may even try and soften it a bit with some extra spacers on the headset. Only done around 30 miles on it so far but have been very pleased with how smooth it is. Although the back end is heavy when you lift the bike, this hasn't been noticeable on the road. I've also been up a couple of my usual climbs and not noticed any real difference, it still relies on me flogging myself!