Front light, cheap but stable?

Dalton
Dalton Posts: 265
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
Hi,

I am looking to purchase a new front light. As the current light I have is driving me mad! As I ride along, the vibrations from the road cause the light to end up facing downwards, meaning I have to constantly adjust it back upwards.

I therefore want a light that will fill tightly to road handlebars, that is fairly bright (as I commute before around 6am) and not too expensive (around £20 if possible).

Any recommendations?

:D

Comments

• Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    Dalton, I run one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMART-BSPOKE- ... 5d2b664344 with a Hope Vision 1. For what its worth I use two smart 1/2 watt Super flashes on the rear.
  • Dalton
    Tonymufc wrote:
    Dalton, I run one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMART-BSPOKE- ... 5d2b664344 with a Hope Vision 1. For what its worth I use two smart 1/2 watt Super flashes on the rear.

Hi, Thanks for the suggestion.

Unfortunately, this is the exact front light I have and it doesn't grip tight enough to my road handlebars to remain upright!

:(
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    That's the one I have, too. Due to the shape of the bars, I've put them right next to the stem. Have you tried putting an excess bit of bar tape or rubber around the bar to give some extra grip?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • If you don't mind fugly, and the sort of lump in your pocket that doesn't translate as 'pleased to see me', then you could do worse than a Halfords Bikehut front light. There are a variety of brackets for these, and you should be able to get one to fit firmly in a position that suits you.

Apart from the issues mentioned, this is an excellent light which features the LED housed in the lens facing backwards to reflect the beam forward, like a lighthouse, which enables a much more effective reflector to be used. An added bonus of this is that side visibility is first class, and something designers of certain otherwise excellent and much more expensive lights should note. I will have had mine for 3 years this winter and it has performed faultlessly, on 3 different bikes with 3 different brackets.
  • Dalton
    cjcp wrote:
    That's the one I have, too. Due to the shape of the bars, I've put them right next to the stem. Have you tried putting an excess bit of bar tape or rubber around the bar to give some extra grip?

Yeah, will give the tape a try if all else fails. Just not at all impressed with the bracket.
  • seataltea
    seataltea Posts: 594
    These little lights are fantastic and for less than £10 delivered with a mount are also great value.

I have the version which uses the lithium battery but if you want it cheap choose the AAA version linked below.

They will provide an intense white spot (actually a square the shape of the led) or will give a variety of differing sizes of circular flood.

The universal mount is the best I've tried, replace the screw thread with a cable tie and the rubbery plastic fits any size of handlebar. The X2000 slots in tight and never moves.

There's no risk of it getting stolen as you just pop it out and into your pocket when leaving the bike. I rode all last winter with one attached to my helmet and in all weathers, it never missed a beat and has been more reliable than my more expensive lights which I am replacing this year.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/x2000-floo ... -aaa-13732

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/universal- ... mount-8274
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Wrap some old inner tube on the bars under the clamp for the light
    This will

1) increase the bar diameter slightly
    2) make the clamp grip the bar better
    3) dampen the vibrations slightly
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    vorsprung wrote:
    Wrap some old inner tube on the bars under the clamp for the light
    This will

1) increase the bar diameter slightly
    2) make the clamp grip the bar better
    3) dampen the vibrations slightly

Hear. Hear! :)
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Big discounts currently being offered on Smart lights at On One / Planet X
  • londonlivvy
    londonlivvy Posts: 644
    edited August 2011
    Dalton wrote:
    Hi,

I am looking to purchase a new front light. As the current light I have is driving me mad! As I ride along, the vibrations from the road cause the light to end up facing downwards, meaning I have to constantly adjust it back upwards.

I therefore want a light that will fill tightly to road handlebars, that is fairly bright (as I commute before around 6am) and not too expensive (around £20 if possible).

Any recommendations?

I had exactly the same problem with that light and gave up. It drove me mad - either shining in my eyes or illuminating my front wheel. I now have this
    http://www.lumenjunkies.co.uk/%20MTE%20 ... SSC%20P7-D

Which is AWESOMELY bright. Car headlights kind of bright. Only problem seems to be that the batteries don't last that long on full beam so it's worth carrying a spare with you.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I've also found that mounting the light so that its under your handle bar, rather than on top, stops the light from slipping so much too.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    £29 posted and even the low setting will be more than enough for the roads so you will get over 10 hours off one charge, plus you have extra in reserve. the mounts are very secure and you will never need to buy batteries, only drawback is waiting a few weeks for delivery but for the money nothing comes close.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/t6-waterpr ... -set-82510
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,381
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    I've also found that mounting the light so that its under your handle bar, rather than on top, stops the light from slipping so much too.

Just as a warning on this, some lights are designed to be waterproof when the right way up, and may be less waterproof if hung upside down.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Gussio wrote:
    Big discounts currently being offered on Smart lights at On One / Planet X

Noted! A load of 1/2 Watt rear lights coming this way. Cheers!
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Ordered some too... do like the Smart rears...
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Dalton
    Thanks for all the replies!

Am checking through the products recommended.

Gussio, smart lights look very similar to what I already have - anyone vouch for the front lights/ bracket?

Londonlivvy, that looks like a torch to me!?! Do you use the mount shown on the related products tab? Looks like it just velcro's on? How stable is it?

Pastey-boy, that T6 looks pretty damn good - will probably order one of those, should be here just in time for proper dark mornings. Again, how does it mount to handlebars - looks like O-rings?

• cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    +1 for the deal extreme light, bright and cheap !

You can also get a very similar one with the bracket included.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/flood-to-t ... -aaa-26800
    With 2 of them i can just about ride on unlit roads, although when i gets to winter riding i use a magicshine.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    Just stick some old innertube under the mount of the light you have.

As for battery life and the like. No problem at all with a dynohub set up. Fit and forget.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    http://www.bestofferbuy.com/1W-2-Mode-5 ... unt-(4*AAA)-p-13641.html?currency=GBP&utm_source=gbase&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=gbase_uk

Absolute bargain. I use two of them on the winter bike (one flashing and one solid) but mine cost me £15 each two years ago.

May not fit on oversized bars though.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    If you're based in SW London and your commute takes you through Richmond Park, *please*, for the love of god, don't buy deity blinders.